Medium Mech Option

21 replies to this topic

#1 Oxcide

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Hello all,

Yeah I know I hate to open a new thread about what should I pick, however, I have mastered the Raven (light) and was looking at jumping up to the next level of Medium to try it for a bit. Question is there is so many options and I dont know really which one to drop some cash into.

My play style as you would imagine has been fast hitting and retreating before it gets to "hot" and seeking out another quick target. I do want a mech with more firepower than a light but can gain some decent speed as I dont know how to brawl very well at this point. I am not scared to give it a shot though if the mech can hold up to the punch.

So from what I have read is the hunch 4SP is decent but is this the only viable option for a medium mech to get into?

Sorry still new to the game and learning

Thanks for any advice

#2 Halan HR

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

The Cicada plays a lot like a light. The fastest of the mediums, I like the 2A all the weapons are in the torso and chest, or the 3M for its ECM. The Centurion is also a very strong and annoyling hard to kill mech, takes some practice piloting to keep your shield arm towards the enemy.

#3 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of mediums! Get used to people drastically underestimating you and insisting you should run a Catapult or Atlas (even when you carry a team).

The CN9-A "SRM bomb" is a popular and powerful choice. Take a CN9-A, load it up with 3xSRM6s, 2xMLAS, and a 250 engine. You'll have a fast close range killer capable of taking even large mechs out quickly. If you're willing to put in an XL engine, you can add an AC to the arm.

The CN9-AL with 2xLLAS and 2xMLAS is a dependable workhorse. Upgraded with DHS and Endo you should be able to cram in plenty of heatsinks along with a 250STD engine.

The HBK-4SP is, as always, a great choice. A potent mix of lasers and SRMs. If you find you run a bit too hot or don't use your head laser that much, you can always throw a TAG in its place to "assist the LRM boats" (passively generate more funds per game.)

Can't go wrong with an HBK-4P. Lots of fun and effective builds for it.

And finally, if you can't bear to give up the light play style, the Cicada-3M plays like a beefier Jenner with ECM.

#4 Oxcide

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

Thank you for the replies, so many decisions and not enough cash for all of them :P

Edited by Oxcide, 27 January 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#5 Enigo

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

I consistently get in the top 3 damage with the Hunchback 4P and 4SP.

I would recommend starting out with the 4SP. Depending on your preference, I've had good luck with both:

DHS and Endo on both:

245 Engine
2 LL
2 ML
2 SSRM2
SRM Ammo x1

Versatile, all range hitter. Does great against all targets though ECM Lights give can give you trouble.

260 Engine
4 ML
2 SRM4
SRM Ammo x2

Faster, medium range brawler. Does great against all targets, though you have to aim well with you SRMs to bring down lights.

Edited by Enigo, 27 January 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#6 Oxcide

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

I did settle for the H-4SP, and am currently having some good fun with it, thanks for the replies all. I hope to try them all out...

#7 Swift Idiot

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

You can do a lot with the 4SP, including kit it out as a medium LRM carrier. That head laser spot is great for a TAG beam.

#8 Khanahar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 560 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Second on the 3SRM6 CN9-A as something I've seen used to great effect.

There's also always the CN9-D. It can go insanely fast--it actually is the only 'mech that can hold the biggest engine in the game. Unfortunately, you have to XL it, which does take away the whole appeal of the CN9 as an unkillable zombie 'mech.

The Centurion is a highly useful 'mech that rewards practice (and good use of the shield arm). You should check it out.

#9 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

I've also had good luck with Centurions (even Yen-Lo-Wang) stick a good sized engine in it and keep that gun arm in one piece.

#10 Elkfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 483 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

I'd suggest a STD 250 engine for your 4SP. Brings you up to 81kph, so you can outrun pretty much anything you can't outgun. I love to use my own 4SP's speed for striking and fading like a light mech with more punch. It's one of the reasons I like mediums so much: the best ones are a good blend of speed, armor, and firepower that are jacks of all trades and masters of none. Very versatile, even if it isn't necessarily as shooty as a heavy/assault or as fast as a light.

#11 Oxcide

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

Thanks all for the many replies!

Currently I am running the 4MLAS, 2 SRM6's and there is just something about hitting someone upclose and personal with two SRM6's at the same time. A rather nice way of saying "Hey whats up!", "smile for the camera"......

I am saving up some cash for some of the other builds you all have prescribed here as they too seam rather interesting, I just dont want to get hung up on one mech style while we are in Beta testing.

Thanks again

#12 Elkfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 483 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

If you want a bit more long-range firepower you can try this build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...69406aefd1d43f4

Downgrades the SRM6s to SRM4s, but gives you more range with the large lasers (while keeping the same damage as two mediums, since 2 medium lasers = 1 large damage-wise). Heat change is pretty negligible too, though if you like riding in the danger zone you could swap out a head sink or two with some more SRM ammo or a head laser or something.

Edited by Elkfire, 27 January 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#13 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Glad to see you went with the -4SP. IMO, it's the best introduction mech to the medium chassis.

I've mastered both the HBK and Cent, and personally I favor the Centurian chassis. A couple of fun builds:

Cent-AL: 2xPPC in arm, 2xMlas in CT, 250 Engine, DHS (14-16), Endo. Basically gives you an AC-20 that can reach out over 540 meters. Makes an excellent direct fire support mech that's fast enough to reposition, and reasonably cool. Just watch the 90M minimum range on the PPCs, but if you've done your job your medium lasers can finish them off.

Cent-9D: 240XL Engine, 2xMPulse, 2xSRM6, 2-3tons ammo, ARMOR, DHS, Endo, Ferro. It's an absurdly expensive mech to build, but a 50 ton chassis screaming along at 110kph (120 with speed tweak) is hilarious. At those speeds I found the XL was rarely a drawback and spent most of the match harrassing and annoying EVERYONE. Just don't stop! Ever.

Good luck!

#14 Ewigan

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

Bu a 9D without ballistics? really?

That makes me a sad panda :)

#15 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

If you plan to run several medium mechs, do yourself a favour and get a 250STD engine. Most good Hunchie and Cent builds use it. Gives you speed, 10 full double heatsinks that take up no space if you're using DHS, and running an XL on either mech is generally not recommended.

Once you have it you can swap it around between your mechs all you like. You can even help subsidize your next mech purchase by selling the default engine it comes with.

#16 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

"Only viable option"? Whoever said that has never played a Centurion CN9-A. 1 extra missle slot and a ballistics slot. Yes, you can only fit 2 mlas, but you can fit 3 SRM6 and an AC/5 if you don't mind the stock engine. Combined with a max speed of ~90kph, you're going to be sailing along.

EDIT: added speed notation.

Edited by Grey Black, 28 January 2013 - 06:47 AM.

#17 Oxcide

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostElkfire, on 27 January 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

If you want a bit more long-range firepower you can try this build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...69406aefd1d43f4

Downgrades the SRM6s to SRM4s, but gives you more range with the large lasers (while keeping the same damage as two mediums, since 2 medium lasers = 1 large damage-wise). Heat change is pretty negligible too, though if you like riding in the danger zone you could swap out a head sink or two with some more SRM ammo or a head laser or something.

I did make a switch to the 2xLLAS, it does perform well, I just am not to keen on the idea of no AMS. I had to drop the AMS and AMS ammo to fit the SRM4's and LLAS onto the system. If I am running with a mech that has EMS then no issues but no EMS and no AMS = a Painful experience at times ;)

So I may drop back to 4xMLAS, AMS, and SRM6's for the time being.

Thanks again

#18 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

View PostOxcide, on 28 January 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

I did make a switch to the 2xLLAS, it does perform well, I just am not to keen on the idea of no AMS. I had to drop the AMS and AMS ammo to fit the SRM4's and LLAS onto the system.

Enough speed means you can get behind cover before the LRMs reach you. AMS is much more useful when an entire team has it, and stays close.

#19 Elkfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

View PostStingz, on 28 January 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

Enough speed means you can get behind cover before the LRMs reach you. AMS is much more useful when an entire team has it, and stays close.

I would tend to agree, the only time I've found AMS to be useful is in the situation you mentioned or when the person shooting missiles at you is either using a smaller LRM launcher or shooting streaks at maximum range. Otherwise it's just not worth the tonnage unless you've got two crit slots and 1.5 tons left over (for the AMS and 1 ton of ammo) that you can't use for anything else.

#20 Oxcide

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostStingz, on 28 January 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

I agree with the get behind cover before the LRM's land but with a STD 250 at 81Kph I normally dont make it into cover fast enough. Now this would be my play style and something I need to work on like terrain humping but I always find myself out in no mans land during pug groups. I would say I could jump to an XL engine but in a Brawler that seems kinda dumb due to explosion and all.

Maybe I need to just keep working it until I get the speed tweak and all would be better, I still have A LOT to learn in this game and am willing to L2P as others would say I guess :D

Thanks again

Edited by Oxcide, 28 January 2013 - 03:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users