Proper Weapons And Tactics Balancing

4 replies to this topic

#1 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

ok some weapons are trash compared to others; this is a fault with the game. there's no reason not to pick a ballistic mech basically. this is how to fix it - how to fix everything

LRM - they're too powerful, they should be as feasible a strategy as SRM, but since they outrange SRM by a million miles, the damage on the LRM needs to be nerfed. this would force some boaters to actually put at least 1 laser in their rigs.
-10% dmg to LRM

LASERS - they're a bit on the weak side, add 1 or 2 pts of dmg to each laser weapon, just barely an improvement should be enough given how the damage is done instantaneously.
+1 dmg to LASERS

BALLISTIC - the most powerful weapons in the game, part of what makes the autocannon OP is that when you get shot with it you become engulfed in a cloud of smoke and a rattling to your mech that does NOT let you aim to shoot back, it's easier to see through the yellow screen bug than when fired upon with the autocannon. on top of that- the firing rate is ridiculous, way faster than anything else.
+10% heat nerf to BALLISTIC, remove black/firey clouds and so much rattling on impact, it's impossible to shoot back

PPC - in principle this should be an energy alternative to ballistics at the expense of some damage and also there's some added heat. but in practice they're too slow, hot and weak.
+5% faster cycle time buff

STREAK - just reduce 1 pt of damage from streaks.
-1 dmg to STREAKS

SRM - make them track a selected unit just a little bit, it should move 15% to 20% toward the enemy from where you originally shot. critical hits are too exaggerated for this weapon, reduce critical propensity in 10%.
+15% degree tracking to SRM, -10% propensity to critical hits

ECM - completely remove the cloaking for heavy and assault mechs. only light and medium can use shroud to hit and run.
Remove ECM cloak for heavy/assault mechs

mech changes:

AWS - make the awesome torso 10% tougher, make heat sinks cool 5% faster.

ATLAS - no ECM at all.

CATAPULT - remove slots from the A variant, so that it can carry only 4x srm6 and 2 streak/srm4 instead of 6xsrm6

DRAGON - add 2 to 5 kmph to their speed

other:

replace CRUMMY trial assault mech AWS/STALKER with ATLAS. so that noobs can get a better experience than to explode when going against a founder in an atlas with their 8v.

mechs that do 0 damage in a match get 0 XP and 0 Cbills. and that's that. for the loss or win bonuses you need to make at least 1 shot into an enemy mech.

this would give everyone a level playing field; the best way to test it out would be to get several random players with different skill levels and making sure they're just as comfortable in all/any of the mechs, with all/any of the loadouts, instead of making some mechs just useless hunks of junk.

right now you're giving players the choice of some weapons and tactics that are not effective. so why give them the choice in the first place? a complete rebalancing of this nature would ensure that the PLAYER is the one who picks his own strategy, based on his playstyle and not pushed by what is and what is not actually useful

Edited by Mazzyplz, 27 January 2013 - 11:09 PM.

#2 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

ADDITION/CHANGE to previous proposal:
make the shaking/rattling effect of the AC5 and UAC5 NON ACCUMULATIVE! and the visual effects should only trigger in case of a head shot

Edited by Mazzyplz, 29 January 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#3 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

SRM + artimes already track slightly as you describe.

Balistics with the exception of the Gauss are alredy heat balanced but are ammo limited and are HEAVY

#4 Praeses

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

LRM:

I was more afraid of LRM's before that I'm now, I don't use ECM and I don't usually have a ECM mech nearby but with one AMS and avoiding staying in the open I don't usually receive much damage from LRM's

LASERS:

I don't know about this, the problem right now is that if you use only one or two lasers you don't make to much damage but if you use a lot 4+ lasers you can do too much damage, this should be reviewed but I don't think increasing laser damage would be a solution

BALLISTIC:

I agree with the "reduce visual effects and extreme shaking" but with two UAC/5 shooting non-stop against a medium+ mech, at 100m or less, getting almost 100% impacts I do much less damage that I would expected to do. The ammo goes away in a second if you don't pay attention. There should do more damage, all the AC don't do much (I only use the UAC/5 now because you can use them even at close range and missing one shot is not as critical as if you were using a normal AC)

PPC:

I've seen mech loose part as if they were made of paper with only two shots, I don't think increasing ROF would be a good idea

STREAK:

I still don't get why everyone say that streaks are overpowered, I agree that they should not hit 100% of the times and they should not only hit the torso, but I never trashed a light using streak

SRM:

They shouldn't have tracking ability (unless using it with artemis, but then you are not really firing SRMs, you are shooting modified SRMs)

ECM:

I don't really like that one light with a ECM can give "cover" to all mechs in his vicinity, but I guess that the devs take ECM as an important thing to fix so we should wait and see (or they just don't give a ***t so why bother making suggestions about it xD)

#5 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

SRMs should have tracking ability, just not a terribly reliable one.
Canonically ballistics should be just as easy to aim as lasers.
Y'know, just sayin'...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users