Anyone Actually Use The Cicada?

40 replies to this topic

#1 Vulkan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

Was thinking of picking one up just for the hell of it, curious to see if anyone else has bothered trying one, if so how much success they've had, what variant they've used, etc.

See barely any threads about it, which leads me to believe it's not a very popular mech in MWO.

#2 DegeneratePervert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Cicadas are pretty fun, but there's not really anything they can do that another mech wouldn't be better at.

#3 MagicHamsta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

Me see cicadas often.
Nearly every match with meds seem to have at least one cicada running around.

#4 Vulkan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

View PostMagicHamsta, on 23 January 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

Me see cicadas often.
Nearly every match with meds seem to have at least one cicada running around.

I have the opposite experience, since I've started playing again in open beta I've seen all of 1 out of a good, say, 40 matches. Looking at their hardpoint layout they don't really seem all that unique or interesting.

#5 Valrock

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationKalgoorlie, Western Australia

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

The only Cicada that you see in regular rotation is the 3M, and the only reason for this is ECM. The Cicada 3M is the only medium class mech of any sort that can equip ECM, and all matches are built by giving each team the same number of each mech weight category. Therefore, by choosing a 3M you are giving your team better odds at having 1 ECM more than the enemy, which will probably be fielding a Hunchie or Cent in that medium slot.

Other than that, the pervert nailed it. Everything that a Cicada can do, a different mech can do better.

#6 Aqualo

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

Well, with the recent patch the Cicada is going to make a come back.

He's like a light, same speed as a jenner slightly taller, but :

He has way more armor
120° torso twist (like a raven)
Torso mounted weapons.

His main advantage compared to other lights : he's tougher, he can take twist his torso only to fire, and use his "arms", which are more likely some shield, to take incoming damage.

With the lagshield fixed, he's the best light hunter you can find ingame, for people who can aim.

I play a 3M with ECM, XL320 (around 145 km/h with speed tweak) and quad MPL.

#7 TruePoindexter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

The 3M is solid. 4 ML 1 AC5 and 4 MPL are both viable. It's considered inferior to the other ECM mechs due to the lack missile hardpoints but being inferior is not the same as not being viable.

As for the other Cicada variants I have a soft spot for the 2A. 6 ML can be comfortably mounted with lots of armor and enough DHS to keep the rate of fire high. Very lethal as a striker against heavier/slower mechs and with good shooting it does ok against faster targets. Very vulnerable to SSRMs though.

#8 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

I absolutely love my CDA-2A. I use the following build.

It's not fair to say the Cicada can't do anything that other mechs can't do better. Compared to light mechs, it has the same high speeds, but better armor and firepower. It even has enough armor and firepower to kill a Raven as long as you don't let the streaks hit you in the back.

Compared to medium mechs, it has less armor but almost the same firepower and is far faster.

I think people don't use it because when it came along, they already had mediums and lights they liked and did not really feel like using a mech that was a hybrid of each. You are very right that they are not common in games. Still, I have great success with mine. Better than any non-ecm light at least. Cicadia feels more like a fast hunchy

Edited by 80Bit, 24 January 2013 - 01:39 AM.

#9 Jaded Jasper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

I can see the laser Cicadas making a comeback in an anti ECM-Raven/Commando role, now that it's easier to hit them with lasers.

I can also see the ECM Cicada doing better now should the number of ECM Ravens and Commandos taper off, as that was their primary weakness.

#10 Ezzeckell

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:40 AM

I was in a fight earlier today the team pilot cicada had a full rack of med pulses and was top killer with 5 kills, i think the laser build is very viable again, maybe might see a few more jenners around again as well..

A more savy pilot then before when you just ran at mechs now flanking an already engaged mech and delivering the killer blow

#11 Ursh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

I enjoy running my Cicada 3M much more than I enjoy running my Raven 3L, even though the raven is technically better.

For the meta reasons already stated, and just the fact that something about the Raven annoys me as a pilot.

#12 Sharp Spikes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationSochi, Russia

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

Well, I use 3M with 4 medium lasers and LB-10X AC. It's a lot of fun to use but the thing is rather slow (104 kph with "speed tweak"). I could make it a bit faster, but decided not to, because it would be... Discourteous to exploit netcode to my advantage (I usually have 230-250ms ping).

CDA-3M - Buckshot_One - this is "no compromise" design, capable of 118 kph with "speed tweak". I use weaker engine so that I'm no too fast for the netcode in its current state.

Edited by Sharp Spikes, 24 January 2013 - 03:01 AM.

#13 Critical Fumble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 810 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

I've got a 3M, 2A, and 3C.

You can turn the 2A into what amounts to a fast pocket swayback. Before ECM and the JJ fix there was a Jenner that did do that better, if for no other reason than being able to jump and being a smaller target. In spite of its speed, I found that you really can't go blitzing into the fray and expect to do any good, you have to stick with your team and be careful about exposing yourself.

I did something crazy with my 3M - I kept the UA/C5. Partially I'm not into the get in their face and blast 'em idea; partially lagshield does not seem to help Cicadas; and partially I think ballistic weapons are fun.

But the 3C. Oh, my poor 3C. . .

#14 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:11 AM

The Cicada is in a "middle land of nothing". If you pick the correct fights it's fine, but usually any raven 3L with SSRMs or even commando 2D can literally throw you down in pieces. I also had fun in a 3C with GR+3 tons, 1Ml and xl 255. A moving bomb but surprisingly effective if you stood within the main group to snipe.

I had a lot of fun with a Cicada 2A configured similarly to that of 80 bit, if you manage to find a missile boat or other lone targets you can shred them to pieces.. unfortunately I was bored by being leveled by other lights so I ditched the variant and kept only the 3M because of the ECM, but I don't use it often.

I guess that thanks to the better hit detection of yesterday's patch I may take it back for one spin or two and see if mlas and mplasers can fare better against other lights.

Edited by John MatriX82, 24 January 2013 - 03:12 AM.

#15 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

Cicada is a great mech. IMO it is one of the best "wingmen" for an atlas or stalker.

3A with 6x ML hits very hard, or with 6 SL (no seriously it works really really well) and you will never overheat (except on caustic)

3B with 5ML will run a bit cooler, and you have 2 module slots (as opposed to 1 on the 3A)

3C well... there are plenty of lulz builds. 2x AC2 has actually worked really well for me (been top killer a couple of times with it), or 4x MG and LPL (especially with the promised MG buff).

3M with ECM and 4x MPL, or with 2x ML and 2x MPL for sustained fighting. Also pretty entertaining with ECM and gauss for an "invisible sniper."

It's fast enough to keep pace with any light (some are slightly faster, and of course JJ), but tough enough that losing 20 kph for more gunz/heatsinks isn't suicide.

Sure there are faster mechs, and there are mechs with more firepower, but the cicada has it's own little niche with both in good proportion.

#16 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:37 AM

A cicada can scout like a light, only with 25% more hitpoints. Also means you can run around a brawl with 3 medium pulses and do a lot of damage over time, pick off specific parts etc.

In a 1 on 1 with a raven 3L you'll be at a disadvantage though, unless your ping is low enough to easily leg him.

#17 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

So, no :), there I was. Frozen City. Clear weather. I'd snuck my way through the tunnel with my CN9-D, and went right out of the center exit, doubling back to the fight. Camping the ridge ahead of my was a lone Cicada. Just standing there. I figure, ok, these things have crap for firepower and armor, and I have the drop on him. I walk right up to him and alpha. He turns on me, and we exchange several alphas. I am amazed that he's just standing there and taking it.

I would have been more impressed if the opponent hadn't trash talked at me after he dropped me. He took me by surprise with his build, and if he had been sporting about the whole thing I would have congratulated him. Anyway, it seems he was running quad AC2 with a top speed of around 40 kph. Much like the gausspult/20pult, it's a one trick pony. But it's a hell of a trick.

Anyway, yes, I do see Cicadas from time to time. They aren't common, but they are out there.

#18 80Bit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 555 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Here is a match in my Cicada 2A from last night.

#19 DegeneratePervert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Messing around with a 1x ERPPC 1x PPC Cicada today. As long as the enemy team has no Raven 3L, you'll do great. If they have a 3L or two... well, that's the end of that.

#20 Vulkan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for the opinions, it's nice to see some people have a use for them. I may pick up a 3A or 3M, I've always liked the Cicada in battletech novels, I know it's not at all like MWO, but meh. They LOOK fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users