My Experience With Hawken And What Mwo Could Learn From It

41 replies to this topic

#1 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

So I've been trying out Hawken to give it a spin. On the whole its not bad although not really my type of game. It sort of feels like CoD with mech skins rather than a mech game and is a bit more twitch than tactical. However even though the game really isn't holding my attention I think their are some things that PGI could take from the dev.

One thing thats nice is that they have a tutorial level. This is sort of like a short single player level that teaches you the basics. I think this could be useful for MWO because one of its shortcomings is the learning curve of the game. I personally enjoyed trial and error in the beta of MWO but many players wont. Giving them a place to learn the controls and play around and have a bit of a guided structure can be useful.

A second thing is a strong multimedia presence. Hawken is diversifying into many forms of media to create lore. Of course BT already has this, however I think that PGI might want to exploit this resource more. People have come to this game from a variety of sources, some were introduced from the cartoon, others from the boardgames, many from the videogames (I'm from the boardgames myself). But for most people what got them hooked on BT is learning about the depth of the lore, reading the TROs or the novels, ect. Many new players will just try this game because they see giant robots or just because they try all new f2p games, but if they can get hooked on the world of BT then they will become fanatics like many of us are. PGI isn't a huge company but I'm sure they can partner with Catalyst, a cross promotion on many fronts is good for both companies and for the franchise, both companies should make a coordinated marketing blitz.

They could do things like give away a free BT novel for purchasing X MCs (or a 50%off deal), ect, or a custom skin if they buy a TRO from Catalyst (like the PC gamer skin). Catalyst could create a new novel set during this time period and everyone who purchases it gets a free month premium time in MWO. Or buy a hero mech and get a free mini of the mech (like the ones that came in the boxed set). Things like this. Hawken is also releasing a comic book soon, comics are somewhat cheap and easy to produce and are a way to get people interested in your product. Their are some talented people out there, perhaps some could create some flash animated internet shorts, ect, the possibilities are endless. They could even go for broke, the BT franchise is owned by Microsoft and Topps (video games by Microsoft and other by Topps although both liscense out the franchise rather than utilize it directly), but these are both big companies. The success of the transformers films was a huge win for Topps' rival Hasbro and Del Toro has a new big budget mecha film coming out. Microsoft has been trying to dip their toes in the film market by exploiting their video game franchises this could be an opportunity (hey a man can dream).

The last thing is to tell a story via game modes. Hawken has some more thematic game modes than simply conquest of capture the flag, although to be fair Hawken doesn't seem to do a particularly good job at it IMO but the potential is there. For example perhaps at the beginning of the mission you get a short video (with a community college actor) telling you that your mission is to capture a losttech cashe in the middle of a frozen city but be careful there is an enemy merc unit also going after it. Or have objectives be more involved and dynamic, perhaps one person has to hold a point which allows the losttech peice to be recovered and then another player retrieves it but now can't fight but he has to run back to their base. Im not really sure if such a thing would work or be fun just throwing it out there.

#2 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

Sad part is there so Much Depth and History with Battletech and Mechwarrior Titles it should not even be close

#3 Fate 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Didn't like the Hawken system as much either (too limited in weapons, too deep in experience trees for individual mechs). Game wasn't really a mech game, just a fast shooter with jump jets and overheats.

They do a much better job of making the game look user friendly though. I haven't recommended MWO to more than 1 of my friends because he played a few matches and said it was too difficult to get into.

#4 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

You have some interesting ideas. I don't know how they would work but they show you are thinking and not knee jerking! i almost didn't read the thread due to the title, thinking it would be a bashing post. I'm glad i stopped in! :)

#5 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostGreen Mamba, on 29 January 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

Sad part is there so Much Depth and History with Battletech and Mechwarrior Titles it should not even be close

It isn't close.

#6 Grraarrgghh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 829 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

View PostKunae, on 29 January 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

It isn't close.

This. Have you seen the abysmal visitor numbers for Hawken?

#7 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

View PostSteven Dixon, on 29 January 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

One thing thats nice is that they have a tutorial level. This is sort of like a short single player level that teaches you the basics. I think this could be useful for MWO because one of its shortcomings is the learning curve of the game. I personally enjoyed trial and error in the beta of MWO but many players wont. Giving them a place to learn the controls and play around and have a bit of a guided structure can be useful.

I am sorry, but you have more than 100 posts so your opinion doesn't carry much weight with PGI... :)

This has been suggested since, at least, early closed beta.

Edited by Kunae, 29 January 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#8 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

I would love a new novel series. Each novel coming with free premium time would be awesome. I'd buy the book series in a heartbeat. (I've never played TT, but I have tons of Battletech novels, and I love the universe).

#9 MegaZordTrololo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Other things MW:O could do with that Hawken has:

1. Lots of game modes
2. A very dynamic and immersive HUD
3. More complex maps with a great number of height levels
4. A ridiculously huge budget

---- Points below have been stated as works in progress for MW:O (If I'm not mistaken)

5. Collision detection
6. Interactive terrain elements Knocking down lamposts etc
7. Far more reliable terrain interaction in general
8. Contentious but - Better weapon and Mech balance (though it may seem this way due to less playtime with Hawken)

#10 zraven7

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Georgia

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Collision detection. OMG, collision detection, please. I'm tired of rubber-banding through enemies 5 times.

#11 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

View PostMegaZordTrololo, on 29 January 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

3. More complex maps with a great number of height levels

At least the maps in MWO are fairly varied, it seemed that all the maps in Hawken were all pretty much urban sprawl. Though the different heights and the jumping mechanic in general was fairly fun.

Edited by Steven Dixon, 29 January 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#12 MegaZordTrololo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

I remember there being maps with desert environment too, but yes the rest were pretty much urban sprawl. Though one of the urban maps seems more like the roofing of a vast superstructure, like the upper hive in a 40k hive city (though of course much less gothic looking).

Edited by MegaZordTrololo, 29 January 2013 - 02:32 PM.

#13 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

View PostKunae, on 29 January 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

It isn't close.

I agree that the lore of BT far supersedes that of Hawken, but I feel that Hawken is capitalizing on it much better.

#14 Green Mamba

• Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Well if it isn't close why is Hawken getting all the good press while MWO is not?

#15 Steven Dixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 621 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

That's essentially my point, I think Hawken is doing more with PR and PGI might want to step it up, its one of the things they could learn. I think MWO is a much better game and BT has a much better story and lore, they just need to show people that.

#16 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

a tutorial level is necessary. if its in most CoD simple shooters. it needs to be in this complicated nonconventional shooter even more so.

#17 pcunite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostMegaZordTrololo, on 29 January 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

Other things MW:O could do with that Hawken has:
4. A ridiculously huge budget

My opinion:
I think people misunderstand PGI and MWO. It is an experiment and therefore being produced on the cheap; they're still looking for lead positions. The most basic things are not present. This is not a put down, just a fact of the current implementation.

#18 nuttycide

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

When I saw the title of the thread, I almost facepalmed, almost. Then I actually read it, and now I do believe that PGI could use some nice insights here, though it may be hard, since I have a feeling that none of them will actually read this. Still good.

#19 Demoned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 670 posts
  • Locationi Died went to heaven, then died again now I'm in Equestria

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

View PostSteven Dixon, on 30 January 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

That's essentially my point, I think Hawken is doing more with PR and PGI might want to step it up.

PR is probably 1 of the most expensive things to do, another reason no matter how poo a game is, some company's/magazines will still give it a 9/10, 10/10. its all about how much cash is thrown about.

and i think PGi need to send what they have fixing things, when all is stable thats when they can start the PR runs
(not a dig at PGi by any means, i for 1 think they are doing a very good job so far, and i know the quote i took was also not a dig at them as well)

just my 2 cents

#20 Kylere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

View PostSteven Dixon, on 29 January 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

It sort of feels like CoD with mech skins rather than a mech game and is a bit more twitch than tactical.

This, this is what the worst players in the game are trying to do to MWO with their respawn and 3rd person nonsense.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users