Cataphract reminds me of the Lao Hu's MechCommander 2 design.

3 replies to this topic

#1 Manthony Higgs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 414 posts
  • LocationMount Vernon, Washington, USA

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

Posted Image
Don't you think?

#2 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

the lao hu of mechcommander barely looks like the one from TT http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Lao_Hu

but there is a reason why cataphract looks like the lao hu and its a pretty cool story in the lore. if you read the lao hu description it talks about how its creator invented it. cataphract, being a Capellan design originally is an obvious choice for lao hu to be based on and its really cool Dev picked up on that so well

#3 Mautty the Bobcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

Actually I'll disagree with you there Geist, there is definitely a resemblance. But yes, with the limited polygonal and texturing ability they had in MC2, it does look atrociously bad compared to the TRO drawing.

In reference to the Cataphract, I don't think it looks like it actually. Between the dual humanoid-esque shoulders/arms, the lack of giant missle bay shoulder, addition of the nice big torso cannon, and the relative flatness of the Cataphract's torso/cockpit in contrast to the Lao Hu's protruding design. Also, the catapract is bird legged while the Lao Hu is human legged.

Similar design style I would say, more than likely one inspired the other in the overall structural aspect, but there are definitely enough of the differences like I pointed out to differentiate them.

Edited by Mautty the Bobcat, 26 May 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#4 Aelos03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

View PostGeist Null, on 26 May 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

the lao hu of mechcommander barely looks like the one from TT http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Lao_Hu

to me they look similar same arms position cockpit rocket pods on left torso its far from barely.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users