#1 The Legendary Samurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 201 posts
  • LocationGuzman Park 2

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Hey all,

My personal view on this is that, given AMS has a targeting range of 200 meters, it will only have a chance to shoot down streaks that are fired between 200-270 meters. Is this correct?

Are there any scout mechs out there running AMS for use against streaks and finding it useful?

Would you take AMS over BAP? Or just take another double heat sink?

#2 Crawford

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

I find if you are moving at full speed away from the streaks then there is enough time for AMS to shoot them down, tried this with my commando 2D while using ECM in counter mode. Same goes for LRM, you need to be moving.

#3 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

In the main, it doesn't work: Pick something else to carry …

#4 Snib

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostThe Legendary Samurai, on 30 January 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

My personal view on this is that, given AMS has a targeting range of 200 meters, it will only have a chance to shoot down streaks that are fired between 200-270 meters. Is this correct?

The 200m range means AMS engages anything withing a 200m bubble around it, no matter where it is fired from. If you are not moving, then 1 AMS will shoot down 2 SSRM2 fired from 200m or further away at you, when they are being fired at you anywhere within 100-200m then you will still shoot a single one down and if fired from less than 100m then your AMS will have no effect vs streaks unless there are additional friendly AMS in range firing at them.

As Crawford said, if you are speeding away from the incoming missiles that increases the time your AMS has to intercept incoming missiles, but this is mainly useful vs incoming LRMs. Streaks are so fast that even if you are moving at max speed away from them a single AMS will never shoot more than 2 down.

View PostThe Legendary Samurai, on 30 January 2013 - 03:42 PM, said:

Would you take AMS over BAP? Or just take another double heat sink?

Assuming we are talking about a light mech, then if you have the free tonnage and don't need the heatsink then I would take AMS. Every single SSRM you intercept is 2.5 damage you do not take.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users