My only worry is...

32 replies to this topic

#21 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

Considering that it is set in 3050, I think customization options will be a little limited.

#22 Wahlnutz

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

I'm all for having the standard variants of battlemechs from the tech readouts, and depending on how battlemech purchases go/persistence, I would be fine with a mech taking a lot of time and money to upgrade certain thing on it. For instance Kai's Yen-lo-**** centurion variant that packs an AC-20 in place of the 10. I would love to see graphical changes for the different variants and for modified mechs... but we'll have to see what all they can do

#23 Brakkyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:03 PM

View Postlothar, on 31 October 2011 - 02:53 PM, said:

I do not want custom loadouts for the IS. Stick to the TROs and lore as much as possible. I think customizing the loadouts devalues the differences between mechs.

I concur wholeheartedly--not just for Inner Sphere 'Mechs, but for 'Mechs period. Remember how the MechWarrior 3 MechLab would build a legitimate variant if you had all the parts? It was spot on.

Unfortunately, many people might not like that, and therefore, for the sake of the game's continual operation, concessions might have to be made.

#24 lothar

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:35 PM

View Postbrakkyn, on 31 October 2011 - 04:03 PM, said:

Unfortunately, many people might not like that, and therefore, for the sake of the game's continual operation, concessions might have to be made.

Very true
An idea I remember from one of the other 3025 topics years ago, was to have Solaris for the arena combat where people could bet on the players/teams. You could also have the mechs there be completely customizable but they have to stay there. Think that even fits the lore although I never paid much attention to Solaris.

Since so many people would want custom loadouts I like the idea of making it take real world time to repair and refit those custom mechs. That way the custom mechs would be available but they also hopefully wouldn't overrun the field. Let the military pick up the cost of repairing the standard variant mechs that could be available for missions but the custom personal mechs should cost the player, and cost a lot.

#25 dradiin

• Pip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:49 PM

Hmm, while i agree that boat designs are lazy, if its available to be done then it should be allowed, its a tactical advantage to utilize the best loadout for the least amount of cost.

I think they should allow customization to existing variants, but there should be diminishing returns, meaning the more you tinker with a set variant the less effective the mech will perform. Like say you will take an accuracy hit, or increased heating, maybe a movement penalty. There are plenty of ways to balance over customization, i hate to think of limiting creativity just because others fail to adapt to something "out of the norm".

One of the best advantages anyone can have in a game with extensive customization is the "Mystery" factor, meaning you don't know for sure what you will get when you first encounter a new enemy, Maybe that Hunchback put a ER-PPC in place of its AC/20 ? With just that one example your tactics on the field of battle change completely. Oh look its a Hollander, just evade for a bit and it will run out of ammo for its Gauss Rifle in no time.... Oh **** that thing has a Large Pulse laser on it instead.

#26 SquareSphere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:03 PM

There's going to be boats even canon mechs were boats, take the Awesome for example, it was basically built around boating PPC, catapults around LRMs etc.

What would need to happen is that CUSTOMIZED boat configs have to have a significant cost to them that would make the player think twice about the benefits of taking it versus a cheaper but preconfigured load out.

#27 Rodney28021

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationRural Western North Carolina

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:11 AM

We'll have to wait and see how the game plays and bring this up later. The devs might have fixed the "boat" problems.

#28 Draxern

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

View PostRodney28021, on 10 June 2012 - 08:11 AM, said:

We'll have to wait and see how the game plays and bring this up later. The devs might have fixed the "boat" problems.

Yea like bring it up 7 months or more later ^_^

#29 dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 271 posts
  • LocationLaborer caste mess hall

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

My only worry is I wont be able to have my "poptarting jumpboating uber ultramega alphastrike mechasarus".

#30 Randalf Yorgen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

all your questions are answered if you watch the Tech Bay Video. you can see it all right there

#31 Xantars

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 477 posts
  • LocationSome were in house Stiner Space

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

I belive they said you cant put a energy weapon in a balistic hard point and vise versa so that should help reduce the boats

#32 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,704 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:31 AM

Yeah the one thing I hated was going for the killshot only to have some clown 14 med lasers burn you down in 2 seconds.
That truly blows.
Not to mention a small fortune in joysticks.
Please keep it balanced all will be happy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users