Mech Sizes Not Proportional?

138 replies to this topic

Poll: Are the mechs height proportional compared to other mech games? (473 member(s) have cast votes)

Do the mech heights seem correct?

1. Voted NO (322 votes [68.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.08%

2. Voted YES (73 votes [15.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.43%

3. Undecided, further investigation required (78 votes [16.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

View PostThirdstar, on 03 February 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

Posted Image

Decide for yourself.

Pic isn't mine, shamelessly stolen from the intarwebz.

Shamelessly stolen from me, actually, who shamelessly stole the original scale (which I then sorted by weight) from Adridos. ;)

View PostWolvesX, on 03 February 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

Nice!I like that!

I thank you for liking it (as I would assume Adridos did for doing the initial in game model rips.. Of course, he IS a Death Commando, so he might just kill you instead))

#22 BerryChunks

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 February 2013 - 05:52 AM, said:

UMADBRO?
good thing tards who like their own posts don't spend time looking for reasons to be offended on teh intrawebz. And feel free to make me **** off.

yep, after a certain point, a forum is a giant database, so we can shut down all further communication and make it a "read only" search forum.

#23 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

View PostBerryChunks, on 03 February 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

yep, after a certain point, a forum is a giant database, so we can shut down all further communication and make it a "read only" search forum.

orrr.. practice common sense, and simply necro an existing post on the same subject. Since, like, that actually keeps thins EASIER to find. But then again, more fool me to expect common sense on an internet forum.

#24 Orzorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 February 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

orrr.. practice common sense, and simply necro an existing post on the same subject. Since, like, that actually keeps thins EASIER to find. But then again, more fool me to expect common sense on an internet forum.

Give him a break man, OP has 15 posts. To assume he's been lurking these forums for long, let alone ever even used an internet forum in his life, isn't right.

#25 Fuzzbox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

Not sure what the scales vs environment are off, but if above pic is right the cent and cicada are too big, and the stalker too small.

I would say currently the centurion is taking the biggest blow as it is simply to wide. Catapult vs Stalker also seems a bit off, but if above is true stalker looks about right. (As an assault brawler it has a small front)

#26 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 255 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 February 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

FIRST OFF EVERYONE DONT START WITH INSULTS..

Yes I know this has been posted before, but this is being posted later on, and i'd like to see how others feel now?

The game IS NOT proportional, not in the least. Tree's that look 30 feet tall, are towering over mechs..

I'm not sure if this is the game engine or what, but I don't feel "mech" ish....

The old games you felt big, you were big next to hills, YOU COULDN'T hide behind anything if you were in an Atlas or large mech just in general...

I'm sorry, again I do like the game because it does have a certain "mech" feel, but I don't think Piranha thought out everything...

Wonder if I could be hired at Piranha as a critic and research lead part... It seems as if they are doing whatever they want.

PIRANHA, tread CAREFULLY... if you CONTINUE down YOUR CURRENT PATH, this game will end up dead like alot of online Buy2Win games.

#27 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 255 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

First off, I only signed up here recently when I wanted to find out some stuff about SLI. A forum IS NOT just a database but also a place for COMMUNICATION and IDEA EXCHANGE.

I heard the dev's refuse to check this forum cuz of the bashing people do, but honestly I don't blame people.. The game is Beta, Piranha wants money, but doesn't listen to us, the people who are supporting them.

I alone have spent about $100 on MCredits, so i've actually given about 2 Xbox or PS3 games worth of money... Rip off? YERP! But I like the game so I continue to do it.

Here is a picture of an Atlas at the beginning movie for Mechwarrior. The parking deck has 5 levels, and it's more or less at an appropriate size...

Now my question is, WHY ARE THE MECHS TRULY NOT THIS BIG!? It's just not realistic that an Atlas can hide behind a 2 or 3 story building in this game, esp on that stupid snow map.

Posted Image

#28 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 255 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostBloody Moon, on 03 February 2013 - 04:50 AM, said:

That "airplane" you are referring to is a small Dropship which was made to carry mechs from Jumpships to the planet surface so it is larger than a 747 even though it is small among the Dropships in general.

So... YOUR SAYING..... the "dropship" aka Boeing 747 airplane thats on the map, which is only as tall as the 2-story'ish buildings on the map is somehow supposed to be bigger? Can't argue with the fact that the size isn't proportional...

I tried to think of calling it a "dropship" but who would design a space ship that looks like an airplane? I mean... HELLO!?!? MCFLY!!!! Anyone home!?

#29 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostCwStrife, on 03 February 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

I tried to think of calling it a "dropship" but who would design a space ship that looks like an airplane? I mean... HELLO!?!? MCFLY!!!! Anyone home!?

dude... the design was a part of battletech since the 80s or something like that... ?? did you not know? check out the cockpit item you can buy, it's the same spaceship and it's not the size of a 747, it's at least 10 times that size (supposedly)
is the scale of it off in frozen city? hmm maybe it's the buildings but they could be bigger than they look just by counting their stories

ps. oh and if your spaceship wants to fly in an atmosphere, any atmosphere... it should include aerodynamics.
a dropship is capable of descending onto a planet presumably to deliver it's payload

Edited by Mazzyplz, 03 February 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#30 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 February 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

I thank you for liking it (as I would assume Adridos did for doing the initial in game model rips.. Of course, he IS a Death Commando, so he might just kill you instead))

That's only the paint scheme I've shamelessly stolen from them. I'm not a DC myself... :D

View PostCwStrife, on 03 February 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

80's called, we build massive humanoid warmachines with legs. Our long range weapons fire around just a km far and we pilot completely naked... Why couldn't our dropships look like planes (considering also the fact, their only purpose is to get things off the ground to the spaceship in orbit and back)? ;)

#31 Parnage Winters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 414 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

You do realize that the buildings on Frozen city are all under like a meter of snow right? Hence when you look closely at the map you see the very tops of street lamps poking out of the "ground" in reality one hell of a snow storm. *shrug*

#32 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 255 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

View PostParnage, on 03 February 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

You do realize that the buildings on Frozen city are all under like a meter of snow right? Hence when you look closely at the map you see the very tops of street lamps poking out of the "ground" in reality one hell of a snow storm. *shrug*

Your kidding RIGHT?

Just because the buildings are under that much ice DOESN'T change the physics of the building sir. A building will still be an average of 10 feet per story, snow or no snow, rain, shine, etc. for human beings.

If you look at the buildings next to your mech, you will notice yours only seem to be about 2 stories high...

An average residential wooden light pole is about 20-25 feet tall, highway steel poles about 40 feet. In a city, like "frozen" city you will have steel light poles about 20-25 feet tall at a maximum. You won't have tall light poles because of the amount of light polution, on a highway no problem.

I don't think you are thinking in real context and sizes. I would have looked these things up before building my game.

Granted i've done alot of construction work during my time so I already know alot of this, but still....

#33 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 255 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

View PostAdridos, on 03 February 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

That's only the paint scheme I've shamelessly stolen from them. I'm not a DC myself... :)

80's called, we build massive humanoid warmachines with legs. Our long range weapons fire around just a km far and we pilot completely naked... Why couldn't our dropships look like planes (considering also the fact, their only purpose is to get things off the ground to the spaceship in orbit and back)? :P

lol ok you definantly have a point.... haha.

I believe the missles could logically just have a small amount of fuel which is why they only go so far, but you would think in the year 3000!?!?!? they would have a new fuel source better than petroleum.

#34 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 255 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostMazzyplz, on 03 February 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

dude... the design was a part of battletech since the 80s or something like that... ?? did you not know? check out the cockpit item you can buy, it's the same spaceship and it's not the size of a 747, it's at least 10 times that size (supposedly)
is the scale of it off in frozen city? hmm maybe it's the buildings but they could be bigger than they look just by counting their stories

ps. oh and if your spaceship wants to fly in an atmosphere, any atmosphere... it should include aerodynamics.
a dropship is capable of descending onto a planet presumably to deliver it's payload

In the year 3000+ I would expect that we would have something more along the lines of Star Trek or Star Wars in design, some kind of anti-gravity engine...

Physically, using a design like a plane you would waste an insane amount of energy trying to take off out of the atmosphere.... you would need some kind of anti-gravity system.

I mean for god sakes, the Saturn V rocket which is the best thing we have made is 363 feet tall, and only can carry a maximum of 45-ton payload out of earth orbit... or in otherwords, a lunar lander, and a capsule for 3 guys to float in for 4 days each way... While this may be the future, it's not futuristic, it's actually quite backwards.

No reason you couldn't have your dropship, yes it is just a game... but the bottom line remains... Saturn V rocket 363 feet tall, would be able to carry basically a raven and some supplies out of orbit.... How can the dropship be SO SMALL? Fail.

#35 Rageclikerr

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

I have always wondered how a Stalker is heavier than an awesome. Then I thought that the body of a Stalker must be like a solid egg made out of nothing but armor with a small empty room for the cockpit. It really makes more sense sizewise to drop the tonnage of Stalkers to 80 and up Awesomes' to 90 , if PGI refuses to change the Awesome's spongebob silhouette

#36 The Boneshaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 481 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

what about an opption for i dont give a **** about the size of each mech i play the game cuz its fun.

#37 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 255 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

View PostThe Boneshaman, on 03 February 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

what about an opption for i dont give a **** about the size of each mech i play the game cuz its fun.

Then don't read this post. :P

#38 Detrimus

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

I'd also like to point out that the mech sizes in relation to one another i.e. light to medium to heavy to assault are too close. Assault in particular should be ... "bigger."

#39 Natasha Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

You are comparing size of mechs to the building on the snow level? You do know that the buildings are covered in snow right? They are normally a lot taller? Lets get a real city level then we'll talk.

#40 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 255 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

View PostNatasha Kerensky, on 03 February 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

You are comparing size of mechs to the building on the snow level? You do know that the buildings are covered in snow right? They are normally a lot taller? Lets get a real city level then we'll talk.

I'm just lost on why you think the top of the building is going to be some higher height? Sure you could have larger ceilings, 14ft perhaps, but still only 1 to 2 stories is visible. Look at the glass, it obviously seperates each floor man.... It's common sense, and the mech heights aren't proportional.

To me it's as if an atlas at 15.9 meters was just convered to 15.9 feet, etc. etc.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users