181 replies to this topic

#101 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

Just a couple things as most are already covered. Start-up screen? Ok, I am Blue and the other Red. Perhaps a smaller cube would be better.

The Tab based in game info should be a stripped down, quick and dirty version. Just make it like it used to be. Teams Left an Right, show dead or alive. No need for the extra colorful fluff when the battle rages.

End game screen. Great stuff. Order of listing or things I might shift about are personal niggles, no worries. I would really go for an Option entry to have the Primary End game screen be my Player Info window. Unless, of course, I can take as long as I want to peruse that data set. That of course would entail fixing the Mech Lock-Out issue noted by others.

P.S. Maybe OT but the light blur triangles are BAD! They blend with the full Map so much they are VERY difficult to pick out sometimes. With often time many already missing due to ECM umbrellas, all allied Mechs need to stand out, on the Mini and Main Battle Maps, really clearly. Really clearly. Did I say how clear the Allied Mech identifiers should be?

CLEARLY!

#102 JarheadEd

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

Overall a positive attempt at improvement. I like the chat feature after the end of the round.

I would like to reiterate what others have stated.

Player name needs to be highlighted, the text could be bigger, the fade in scoreboard is annoying, and after death, when spectating, every team mate plays Betty's start up audio, yet we are mid match.

#103 Dagger6T6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationcockpit

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

Death screen could use a little attention... says "You have been Destroyed" then below that it says "destroyed by: user"

seems alittle redundant... maybe it could be reworded to "Your Battlemech has been Destroyed" and then just have "by: user"

on a side note about all the new screens... I love the fonts and typography, which is the same style coming from the MWO mech vids, which i think are great... you guys are on the right track with this new patch, just need some tweaking

#104 stabbitystyle

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 25 posts
  • LocationWalla Walla, WA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

I think the update has a lot of potential to be really cool, but right now it's not really where it needs to be.
  • The scoreboard flickering when you press tab to look at it is a problem. The whole point of the scoreboard is quick access and then resumption of gameplay. The flicker inhibits this function.
  • The player isn't highlighted on any of the screens, when he should be highlighted on all of them. It is important for the player to be able to quickly discern their standing, even on the end-game screen where there isn't a time constraint. It makes comparing the player's performance to everyone else much easier.
  • The start-of-game screen needs an enter game button or something of that nature. Having the chat box there when it can cut out at any second with all typing progress being lost is a problem.
  • Not quite as important, but being able to see the player's kills/assists on the scoreboard during the game would be nice.
  • Ping should be displayed distinctly on all of the screens. It's too easy to get mistaken for something else, especially in the post game screen when it's next to damage.
  • The end-game screen seems kind of cluttered. I'm not really sure how to fix this, since I can see why a lot of that information would be nice to have. Maybe by clustering all of the round information (kills, assists, damage, match score) together and making that section distinct. Also, the mech could probably be to the left of the player name.
  • It takes too long for the end of match screen to come up. It should be a second or so after the match is over, not 5 or however long it is.

Edited by stabbitystyle, 06 February 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#105 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

I would like to see a % damage stat next to teammates names on the in game tab menu.

Highlight the players name so they can quickly find it in the end match screen. Use a green background for the players stat line.

It no longer looks like players are sorted out by highest to lowest score. If that is so can we put this back in.

Highlight players in a group names at the pre-match and end match screens. Use a blue background for the group members line.

Death screen is way to cluttered and dose not match with what is happening. When I die it gives me a list of weapons that might have damaged me. This is confusing and needs to go.

The killed by message should give me Player name, mech used and weapon that made the kill shot. Every thing else just clutter.

Edited by Dirus Nigh, 06 February 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#106 BLUPRNT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 616 posts
  • LocationLake Something or Other, WA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

I like the new screens as they bring in a sense of a more complete game. As others have stated it is a bit complex at a glance but overall looks very good. I like the new rotation around the downed mech. Thank you for your hard work.

I didn't see it mentioned but can we please get our mechs out of game if others want to googoo at their scores.
It seems to take longer.

Edited by BLUPRNT, 06 February 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#107 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

View PostThontor, on 06 February 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

Its still sorted, by combat score... The difference is the teams are seperated now, rather than mixed together.

huh. Then what is my combat score?

#108 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Here's mine:

Please give us an indicator other than text based so we know who are we talking to on the summary screen.

Example: I want to tell my teammates if we had an ecm we would of rocked them.

Situation: There are a few ".... disconnected" lines in the chat.

Problem: I have no idea how many of those are friendlies are who I am talking to, without checking each name in the table to see what team they were on, sometimes even that isn't possible, because they left earlier and there is no scroll function.

Example 2: I wanna tell one player how well he did or how cool his paintjob is.

Situation: There are a few ".... disconnected" lines in the chat.

Problem: I have no idea if he disconnected while playing, didnt pay attention to kill/disconnect messages while in game, and now I have no definite answer to if he is online or will ever see my message.

Some others:

- The delay for the end game screen is looooong, but I'm sure you already know about this.

- Make pre/mid/post chats scrollable please, you could scroll the ingame chat with pageup/down keys in CB if I recall correctly.

- Make the player01 killed player02 indicators show which team killed which by color coded names by team. This would help track team killers, and give heads up info in a split second just by seeing the color of the text. All other games indicate this in some way.
Example: there are a few ECMs around and you see a guy charge in around a corner and a kill message pop up, you don't know if he got killed, or did he kill somebody and its OK for you to follow him, until you hit tab that isn't a pleasant experience currently(more on that below).

- Holding TAB shouldn't disable (at least the basic) movement keys.
Example: In a highly competitive environment having a look at what mech your mates are piloting or whos living, shouldn't block you of taking a simple turn especially that for lights where moving in straight line is a death sentence. They have no way of a quick check than getting out of combat.

- Do away with the pop-up animation of the ingame scoreboard.
If you saw competitive Counterstrike gaming, you can see they have it popping up numerous times a single match to get better situational awareness. We don't need half second animations, we need to know who's around, now, not a half second later. This just adds to my previous point, a player needs to wait for the animation and can't move while looking at it, taking him out of the game for about a second. Its cumbersome to say at least.

- You have been killed stats: good to know what killed me, but I'd like to know the per weapon damage numbers, or percentages or at the very least. For now it just seems like 5 random weapons the enemy team had, it doesn't really say anything. Also which of these did the killing blow is something I'd be curious about from time to time.

I like the new UI in every other aspect though, especially it not showing kills, I made a post about it here on why I think its a great solution.

Edited by Chavette, 06 February 2013 - 11:07 AM.

#109 Least Action Jackson

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 92 posts
  • LocationJust outside the Bomb Factory

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

I like it pretty much across the board. I do agree that I have a hard time finding myself on the scoreboard, but it's about the same as it used to be. I almost exclusively use the scoreboard to check the team pulse, anyway. I actually prefer the current information (what mechs everyone is driving and whether they are dead) vs knowing how many kills I have. I find that it throws off my mojo when I have 6 kills and I get all nervous seeing if I can get that elusive number seven.

#110 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

View PostThontor, on 06 February 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

i meant "match score"

Its shown on the after match screen.

Just played a match to find it. I have no idea what determines my match score. I assume it's damage+kills+assists+what ever else. but it does not seem to add up.

#111 blazarian

• PipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

I would like to go to spectating mode simply by pressing ESC also. I'm not that fond to locate the button with mouse and click it when simple ESC press would be more than awesome way to close the Death screen.

#112 LoneUnknown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

Pasted from my thread on the subject here: http://mwomercs.com/...30#entry1851330

Overall, the new lobby and end of match features are pretty slick, except for one glaring problem:

YOU HAVE BEEN DESTROYED

That zooming, flamboyant, celebratory, in your face text which is completely out of step with everything else... it really needs to go because:

- I have not been destroyed. I am fine, sitting in a chair. My mech has been destroyed. This console-esque display ruins immersion and causes dissonance within the player.

- It very much comes across as a "point and laugh" at your loss, or like rubbing salt in the wound. Like Nelson Muntz saying "HAW HAW", or a visual t-bagging from the MWO devs. This demoralizes and/or causes rage/irritation in the player.

- The explosion, the switch to third person view, and the loss of control of my mech, all tell me that my mech has been destroyed. Big, glaring text reminding me of what just happened is unnecessary and insults the intelligence of the player.

Suggestion:

Simple - get rid of the big zooming text effect. If it is deemed REALLY necessary to tell the player the obvious, then simply, and humbly replace it with "Mech Destroyed" with the same fonts used for the rest of the end of match screens (no special effects necessary).

PS - while you're at it, go and review some of the loading screens that say things like "destroy enemy players" where it really should say "destroy enemy mechs". Small verbage like this goes a long way in creating an immersive sim-like atmosphere as opposed to that of arcade shoot-em-ups.

PPS - The new friendly blue color is too dark and much harder on the eyes then the old color. I notice that the old color is still in use (friendly ECM), why not just swap the two?

#113 Alik Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Like layout, but needs to have number of kills added back in-game. Also seems to take forever (had about 2 minutes one match, avg minute or little more) to get to final screens after match ends. Also wait for reuse mech seems to take alot longer as it is in-game even though I stayed in-game till end of match.

Edited by Alik Kerensky, 06 February 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#114 Adrius ADI Manthays

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII - Solaris City - Silesia District

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

it's okay for me good job!

rgr&out

#115 INSEkT L0GIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Other than readability issues and getting used to the new formatting..

I'd add a VICTORY! or DEFEAT! type text to the screen when the match is over before the end of match summary screen pops up. Currently everything just pauses and I'm all "WTF just happened?? Is my game locked up??" instead of knowing the match had ended.

#116 dcwoods

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

the list is good for having a idea of the mech in the other lance. I also get lost is finding myself in the end. The last game experienced gained breakdown and bills earned for at lest the last mision would be good . perhaps in the mechlab would be a good compromise

#117 Rick Rawlings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

I have to say the "You've been destroyed..." screen actually did cause me to legitimately "LOL", which doesn't happen all that often the first time I saw it. While I'm not sure how it ties in to the whole "grittiness" of the rest of the game or long term plans (maybe as part of the Solaris arena?) it was pretty cool that first time! If you are going to keep it, it needs a "Blades of Steel" kind of sports fanfare when it pops up.

Also, the end of round chat is great. It was always a crap shoot if I was going to time my end-of round "gg" just right or way too early or miss it altogether. For the few rounds I played, this is definitely heading in the right direction...

#118 The Captain

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned.

I'm pretty sure the new scoreboard screen captures key/mouse input while the old one didn't, meaning I can't give any movement/aiming commands while I'm looking at it. Either that, or the waiting a few seconds for it to animate in means I can't turn/move while it's animating, and I didn't notice this in the old version because of the lack of animation. Either way, it should either not animate in or not capture input while it's up.

I do *not* like having my movement controls disabled for 3+ seconds while I'm checking to see who's alive. This was a change for the worse as far as playability is concerned.

Edited by The Captain, 06 February 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#119 TheLastUn1corn

• PipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

I know, that what I'm going to write has already been posted multiple times in this thread but I'm too tired right now to care about not repeating anything. Also, I want to express my opinion so the Devs see this are really things many people are concerned about.

First of all I want to say that I like the screen at the beginning of the round very much, especially the map and the information about it are really interesting. (By the way, I think I could have found a bug here: yesterday, just after the patch, I played Caustic Valley and the screen said there are +85°C. Now after that Frozen City came out, and the introduction announced, that there were just the same 85 degrees. This can't be right, can it?) But I would highly appreciate, if this pre-round screen could stay on my monitor for a little longer instead of disappearing when the countdown starts. Couldn't it maybe stay visible until the countdown is at 3 or 2?

Next I want to say something about the new dark blue color used to depict the friendly arrows on the map. The color... it is just not very visible in comparison to the old light blue. When I open up the map it takes me at least a second to recognize the dark blue arrows representing my allies against the just slightly lighter blue contours of the map. I would really appreciate an option to bring back the lighter marking of pre-patch version, as it would greatly increase my ability to get a quick overview.

Last but not least: the end of round-screen. Although this new screen is quite informative, I miss the highlighting of my own stats in this long list, so I have to read through all the entries until I finally find my gamertag. This could become even worse with the introduction of 12v12 matches. I know I can find my stats in the "individual stats" tab, but I want to compare myself to the other players, and this is only possible in the overall statistics. So please, bring back the green (or other) highlight for the player's statistics. Also I didn't find the amount of XP every single player gained in the team screen. You should re-introduce this too. And couldn't you please give the player the choice to leave the end of round screen when he wants, and not when a minute has passed? I hate getting kicked out of the match's statistics when I just try to analyze who exactly was good and why.

And finally: I still want to know, what exact Mech the ******* who managed to get the most kills was sitting in! (Or has this been introduced? Maybe I have just overseen it...)

EDIT: Oh, really, does this forum turn b@stard to *******? Not bad...

Edited by TheLastUn1corn, 06 February 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#120 FrostPaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

I like it, however I would like it if the chat input window didn't automatically have focus, as a teamspeak user I have a push to talk key to press when chatting with my mic and it automatically fills the chat input whenever I use it.

If the chat wasn't automatically focused I could chat in both ways voice and window without one affecting the other. Currently I just don't use the in game chat because it is full of ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ from when I speak into my mic.

I suppose the best way to do this is to have an option toggle, setting one is as it is now, setting two requires the player to hit Enter to bring up the chat cursor and Enter submits the text and hides the cursor at the end.

68 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 68 guests, 0 anonymous users