181 replies to this topic

#81 Dagnome

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 906 posts
  • LocationNew Hampster

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:33 AM

The time it takes for the endgame screen to load after a match is a bit much. Ive sat around for 10-15 seconds before waiting for the screen to come up after my team has met the victory conditions.

As far as the scoreboard:
Id like to see the "Status" be green or red. It is a bit hard on the eyes to see whose alive and dead when the mechs that are live are displayed in the same text color as the rest of the scoreboard. I think it would be easier on the eyes and would allow for easier recognition of alive or dead players by having Alive be green and Dead remain red.

#82 Thecure

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 200 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:45 AM

+1 and unless its got something to do with botters of afkers, they need to look into it.

#83 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

Definetly the time has to be reduced to ZERO.I see no reasons I have to wait for next match with the same mech.

#84 Jeye

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:59 AM

They look good, maybe some getting used to needed but they are clean and contain some good information.

HOWEVER, they flicker slightly when they fade in / fade out.

#85 Bad Andy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:06 AM

i often post 300-400 damage in a normal round in my raven 3L and Commando 2D, you aren't going to do damage on par with a high performing assault brawler or LRM boat but you can certainly keep up with strike medium and heavies for average damage if you're smart and fairly aggressive.
I think scoreboard rank is just based on who earns the most c bills and xp, try putting a tag laser in your light, that seems to help as well.

Edited by Bad Andy, 06 February 2013 - 04:16 AM.

#86 Snib

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:25 AM

View PostGruenGruen, on 06 February 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

im a scout ,so im very fast and moveable.
i have 6 lasers on my jenner and i can defend myself.
but i will never do the damage what ppl can with the big guns.

Yes, scouts need a buff, we're much too weak.

Spoiler

#87 Undergoose

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

View PostArmando, on 06 February 2013 - 01:09 AM, said:

I too would like to see "Damage from FF" and "Damage to Friendlies" in stat info. That said, if an LRM boat is hitting friendly targets with LRMs that is an issue with the 'Friendlies" that are getting hit by the LRMs humping the enemy, and NOT with the person who is shooting the LRMs.

Even if you are a AS7-D-DC with 2 med-lasers, 3 SRM6s, and an AC/20 (< 270M mech) you should not be THAT close to the enemy, and if you are getting hit by friendly LRMs, BACK OFF (stop leg humping). Not only are you doing damage to yourself, but you are also likely closing up firing lanes for other non-LRM friendlies.

Also, If you are the enemy mech and you know LRMs are coming in, and you can position the LRM shooters teammate between you and the LRMs...kudos to you for your great piloting!!!

TL:DR - If you are getting hit by your teammates LRMs you are either need to improve your positioning skills, or your enemy is a great pilot (positioning himself between you and your teammates LRMs).

Absolutely wrong, aside from one point.

If I'm up against 3 mechs (happens all the time), I'll put myself out of their line of fire by getting very close to the one that I'm focusing on first, otherwise I'm focused by all three and immediately dead; at which point the LRM biff camping in the back has NO targets anyways.

When you're brawling, forming firing lines and trading shots like a bunch of redcoats and settlers is just stupid.

The LRM pilot needs to be shooting the other two that are behind the one I'm 'humping'. The only time I get that close to a mech is with serious brawler builds, and unless the enemy is kind enough to stand there and get LRM'ed in the middle of a brawl, your LRM missiles pouring in out of the sky are just doing FF damage to those of us actually piloting our mechs in the battle.

It is NOT the heavy's/assault's jobs to make sure he's not getting hit by friendly missile fire. LRM's are SUPPORT fire, not direct assault, and should not be fired even CLOSE to the vicinity of the actual fighting mechs, unless it's requested as an emergency measure by those mechs.

Scouts are a different story. They shouldn't be grinding up on mechs and getting hit by their own LRM's. Once they put collision back in, that will become immediately clear and we'll see a big shift in light mech piloting tactics.

"Danger-close" artillery fire in real life warfare is incredibly rare, and it should be just as rare in MWO if the team is using proper tactics. Close support fire is called in at the front-line's discretion, not on the whim of the long range support teams.

I regularly get hit in the back by multiple high-count volleys of noob missiles five seconds AFTER I've put down the mech they were targeted on.

LRM's should be fired on enemy mechs that are peripheral to a brawl, not puked into the middle of it. I'll repeat: LRM's are for support and suppress fire! If you're so interested in doing big damage, by all means build a real mech and get in the fight.

A dedicated LRM boat is a handicap to any team, especially if it's an assault mech. Remember, the assault mech on the other team countering your slot very likely has a real weapons build and is going to be much more dangerous to your team.

It is much more effective to have 3 assaults each with one LRM 15 than one assault with three LRM 15, if LRM's are even useful on a map.

Quite frankly, give me two quick, heavy lances of good brawler mechs, and we will out-pilot and squash ANY combination of a scout/boat team in very short order. Every time.

You're right about using the enemy as a shield from their own LRM's, and I do that quite often, which is also one of the reasons to get close to an enemy. My great piloting skills are negated, however, when I just end up taking damage from the 60 missiles coming from my own boat anyways.

STOP FIRING INTO BRAWLS. When I don't know where the hell you're spamming your missiles, I can't adjust and shouldn't be expected to constantly watch over my shoulder to keep track of your campsites. What I can do is make constant and fast decisions based on what I see right in front of me. If 'humping' a mech prevents me from getting shot by half their team, I'm going to climb right into his cockpit every time.

What were you planning to do when they add melee? Ask me to throw my axes and pointy things at distance so you can get clear shots from 600 meters in the rear while you eat your hot pockets and watch TV?

Edited by Undergoose, 06 February 2013 - 04:45 AM.

#88 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:32 AM

The intro chart is nice, but does seem to present a lot of information at once.
I'm retraining my eyes to scan the "friendly" and "enemy" side more quickly this time.
I LOVE the map and information about temp and such.
It feels like we're getting one step closer to the bigger game aspects such as Community Warfare and some planetary battles. :(
The scoreboard is nice, but the chat window can't be scrolled.
Overall I'm happy with the changes so far.

Edit: The Spectator mode voices out the sequence every time I switch to another person.

Edited by Atlas3060, 06 February 2013 - 05:00 AM.

#89 warner2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:54 AM

View PostAtlas3060, on 06 February 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

I LOVE the map and information about temp and such.

The map is oriented differently to the one in-game, doesn't show bases, nor grids. Is that useful? Wouldn't you need that information on the pre-game screen so that you can, you know, think about what you're going to do when the match starts and type some grid coordinates into chat as a suggestion to your team-mates?

It's just eye candy that serves no useful purpose, when it should actually have a point.

Edited by warner2, 06 February 2013 - 04:54 AM.

#90 Elessar

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,100 posts
  • LocationHesperus II

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:55 AM

Well, there already was a thread with regards to it (which now resides on page 2 or 3)...
and yes, I agree ... light mechs and/or scouts are represented unfairly with the score at the moment.
I can have 1 kill and several assists with my commando and nevertheless get placed last in our team, behind others (with heavier mechs) who didn´t get a single kill and less assists, just because my damage is lower than theirs.

The score in its current form only makes sense, if the final scoreboard will be divided into chassis types (i.e. Atlas, Commando, Raven etc.) or at least weight classes (i.e. Light, medium, Heavy. Assault)

#91 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

View Postwarner2, on 06 February 2013 - 04:54 AM, said:

The map is oriented differently to the one in-game, doesn't show bases, nor grids. Is that useful? Wouldn't you need that information on the pre-game screen so that you can, you know, think about what you're going to do when the match starts and type some grid coordinates into chat as a suggestion to your team-mates?

It's just eye candy that serves no useful purpose, when it should actually have a point.

Considering how one patch before we didn't even have a beginning round map, maybe they're putting in that other stuff for it in future content patches? Right now is it useful? Not so much, but after a few patches hopefully it will be a useful feature.

The temp part at least shows new people if this map will be a cold map or hot map. Yes they can use their eyes as well, but some folks are insanely thick at times.

Edited by Atlas3060, 06 February 2013 - 05:04 AM.

#92 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

I thought the Pre-Match and End of Match screens were supposed to show who was in a premade team and who was pugging? It would have ended all the debates and accusations about premades sync-dropping, pug-farming, etc. (and reveal who is guilty of such things) and go a long way towards healing the rift between some premades and pugs. Is there any good reason why this information is being kept from us?

#93 Kraita

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:22 AM

I would suggest having it highlight your own name on the scoreboards to make it easier to find yourself.

Also a slightly different/bigger font would be appreciated for those of us with bad eyes.

The new colour blue is easier to see then previous one apart from when the background is white/snow but I understand there is only so much you can do to make it visible on all map types.

Other then that it a good improvement which I'm sure will be tweaked to make it better, thanks.

#94 StalaggtIKE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

Overall very nice look. My only complaints:
  • kills missing from scoreboard
  • hard to find my name on the scoreboard
  • the fade in and fade out animation, shaves off precious milliseconds during the heat of battle

#95 LtPoncho

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

Fantastic layout and presentation - well done! I'd only add that for future enhancements to this, if you are going to put 3rd person view in, put it in spectator mode with the ability to zoom in/out and around the spectated mech.

#96 GargoyleKDR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBlaine, WA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:44 AM

In general, the changes are a step in the right direction.

Scoreboard
- The delay (fade in/out) of the information is unneeded and unwanted.
- The controls of the Mech are deactivated while the scoreboard is on screen. This needs to be changed.
- Once an enemy Mech has been identified on the field the Mech type should be added to the scoreboard information

Death
- The font size is inconsistent with the other screens. The other screens whisper, Death text screams at me.
- It is confusing at first. The information takes some getting used to in order to figure out what it is really telling the player.

End of Round
- Much improved information for the players overall.
- Really like the addition of chat during this screen.
- The "rating" and "damage done" columns seem like they should be next to each other instead of separated by the "kills" and "assists" columns.

#97 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:44 AM

I think the Pre-Round screen should have a button indicating players are ready to start a match, this would allow people on the same team to talk in Team Chat about plans before a match starts, once someone tried this but then the game started. Call it the Ready to Drop button.

I miss the breakdown list of what I received money and XP for, what was listed and values helped me determine if my gameplay was improving or degrading.

So far, I have yet to see anyone talk after a match, seems some people Disconnect after being killed (do you still get rewards for the match if you Disconnect?) and those left just Disconnect when the game is over.

I actually like the new screen when you die listing who killed you and how.

I do like how the team lists are broken into lances showing who is in yours and nearby when starting. Could it also list Mech type? I still would like to know if choosing to Take Command makes you Commander of only the lance or the entire team, it could help with planning and Battlegrid use. If you only Take Command of your lance, now you know who would be getting commands.

I noticed a few games where the Pre-game screen hardly or did not even appear, twice I did not even get the 10 second countdown.

Also on the Pre-game screen, if you start typing in Chat, when the screen goes away, anything you typed is not saved and you have to start over, makes the Pre-game chat feature a problem.

Edited by Merchant, 06 February 2013 - 06:46 AM.

#98 Sajuk Kar

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

I commend the devs on 95% of the stuff the do, and especially the recent technical improvements to the game have been amazing. But I have to say that to me, this new screen system is just hideous. It's just a jumbled mess that doesn't convey information any better than the old way, and in most respects does it worse. It is also just aesthetically worse. They could have easily incorporated all the new info and features that they wanted into the old system and it would have looked 100 times better.

What I don't understand is that someone way back obviously put a lot of time and effort into designing the tab screen, the end of round screen, and all the other in-game screens that we've had all this time, and made them really good. The great aesthetics of this game is one of the reasons I liked it so much when I started playing back in closed beta. But now all that great stuff is thrown out the window for the sake of "new info that needs to be conveyed" even though its only a few more lines of numbers. So instead of that great looking scoreboard and rewards readout we've had and has worked great all this time, we get ugly, jumbled screens.

The saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is completely lost on this generation of people. This generation is like "If it ain't broke, break it anyway, and when people say the old way is better, make ad hominem attacks against them. Because new always equals better."

#99 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

View PostThontor, on 06 February 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

Also... Is it true that your mech stays in the match until everyone leaves that match? It seems like its taking longer for mechs to become available... Is that because people are taking longer to leave a match because they are checking out the after match screen?

Yes, that is why I usually stay to spectate whenever I am killed, even then the Mech I used could be listed as In Game if others were checking out the info when the match ended. But you can always switch to another Mech not still In Game and start a game with that.

#100 Wizard Steve

• 1,053 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

Just noticed that the match score is based almost entirely on damage done.

Thumbs down (as is this entire patch so far).

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users