Are 'phracts Unplayable?

47 replies to this topic

#21 Nankam

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

While the large side torsos of the cataphract are a disadvantage at close range because it's easy for enemies to hit them, they are actually an advantage at long range over other mechs because the damage gets distributed across all three torsos more evenly. This is in contrast to the catapult, whose tiny side torsos are an advantage at close range because it's hard for enemies to hit the them, but a disadvantage at long range because almost all damage gets done to the center torso.

Cataphracts are far from broken, in fact they are quite good if used properly. Positioning oneself to stay in medium to long range engagements as much as possible is key. Be very picky about the close range engagements you choose. There's nothing wrong with retreating back towards friendly mechs.

#22 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

I wreck pretty much everything with my Muppets

#23 Rustybuckets

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 26 posts
  • LocationThe home of everyone, to the left and slightly up.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

Thank you gentlemen. I had a free slot open and decided to fill it with the -3D

Might as well, I have the other 3 chassis ;)

Edited by Rustybuckets, 07 February 2013 - 09:35 AM.

#24 chiXnhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

It's a great mech. I used to be Atlas only but since this mech I've changed.

#25 EyeOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Occasionally my Phract will die more easily but I just chalk it up to bad luck. I have a few mechs a like and even fewer that have raised up to "I love this mech" level. One of which is the Phract-1X (2) Medium Pulse Lasers, (2) Medium Lasers, (1) AC20.

#26 CarnifexMaximus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 397 posts
  • LocationOakland, California Republic, North America, Terra

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

XL engines in phract scare me for sure. But it benefits from the XL like crazy. I just wouldn't try and brawl with it all the time, you can make a pretty decent sniper, striker out of one. I put a xl325 in my 3D, with speed tweak it hauls ***.

#27 VXJaeger

• The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

Well, there's also this CTF-armorbug. Means that damage witch is shot to frontal armor registers to backside.
For example: you have 78 armor in the CT and 10 CTB, and someone shoots you with dual-Gauss into CT. Damage registers to back and explodes your engine immediatelly.

Edited by VXJaeger, 07 February 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#28 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Cataphracts are fine.

They are kind of sub-optimal as brawlers, due to their walking target-ness, but more than capable even in 8v8. I've seen quad AC/5, Ilya's with 3 Ultra AC's, the 3D Pop-tart Maraud-o-phract, etc.

#29 Trev Firestorm

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Don't run XL, armor up, every variant of that mech is not only usable but good, favorite in the game for me. Really even running an XL is ok if you are careful, fighting srm cats and stalkers are the only real problem I've had if I accidentaly let them in range

#30 ElLocoMarko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PostVXJaeger, on 07 February 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

Well, there's also this CTF-armorbug. Means that damage witch is shot to frontal armor registers to backside.
For example: you have 78 armor in the CT and 10 CTB, and someone shoots you with dual-Gauss into CT. Damage registers to back and explodes your engine immediatelly.

Never heard of that...

Thought I would add that I run either a 280 standard or 300 standard engine in all my CTFs(for toughness). I tried the 4X and it was just too slow. I have finished many games in my 1X and 2X as a smoking center torso (with no weapons). Those center mounts of the 4X had me imagining all the glory of its brethren but still fighting on after it got beat up. But it never happened. It's max engine of 255 makes it almost impossible to disengage from battle so I finished most games with a smoking hole for a center torso while the side torsos and arms were intact.

#31 thegimp73

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 05 February 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

I wreck pretty much everything with my Muppets

Hey you stole my ctf-1x name.

On topic I also thought i would hate the phract before i tried it. Haven't tried the 3d yet but mastered the other 3 and liked them all. 1x is my fave and the only one i have left now(ac20 and 5ml). Never even tried to run a xl that way i can soak most damage with left side of mech to protect the ac20.

#32 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

While I have had no success with 'Phracts so far, I have seen them played impressively. So I know the problem is ME, not the mech. :D

#33 deforce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 616 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

glass cannon.

i run 3 variants and the muromets and with my builds i am easily able to dish out 5-700 damage on a average round. And push 800-1000 on better rounds.

#34 Zypher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 418 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

If you want to remain highly competitive in this mech don't use an XL. This is a terrible chassis for XL engines, I have seen too many teams just melt using XLs in chassis were torsos are hit easily.

#35 SpiralRazor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

View PostRascula, on 05 February 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

Seriously I love the 'phract but the torso is so damn vulnerable, no matter what loadout your up against it WILL hit it, and boom your gone.
Anyone got any advice/horror stories/good news from the devs or are we gonna have to put up with the zero life expectancy?

Lol...Cataphracts unplayable:)>>>>>

#36 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostZypher, on 07 February 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

If you want to remain highly competitive in this mech don't use an XL. This is a terrible chassis for XL engines, I have seen too many teams just melt using XLs in chassis were torsos are hit easily.

I think the 3x UAC/5 Ilya is the only exception.

#37 SpiralRazor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostZypher, on 07 February 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

I play an XL all the time, and im consistently in the top 3 for match score. Granted, this is a mastered chassis with quite a few upgrades, but its still coming down to knowing what you can feasibly do, what to engage, and what you cannot and what you should not.

#38 HumptyWasPushed

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

3D
2xUac5
4xMlas
XL325

Stay a medium range and win.

#39 DeadlyNerd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

phracts unplayable? never. boring? yes since no build can efficiently mount more than 2 LPL, maintain a good ballistic and fill out the rest of the HPs.

#40 Kyryos

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Bought a 3d with MC for the sale, figured why not.

Dont' really like it, pretty boring mech. It reminds me of my Flame but bigger and slower, I'd rather just use the Flame and run fast and get extra cbills. Ill probably sell the 3D eventually.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users