Large Pulse Lasers After The Buff Still Not Enough?

47 replies to this topic

#1 Hedonism Robot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationSpace Pirate

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Hey Mechheads

With the last patch Large pulse lasers got a significant buff to their heat generation, but was it enough? Just as a reference here is the listed changes:

Heat Tuning on Large Lasers and PPCs

- Large Laser stays at 7.0.
- Large Pulse Laser reduced from 9.0 to 7.3.
- Extended Range Large Laser reduced from 10.0 to 9.5.
- PPC reduced from 9.0 to 8.0.
- Extended Range PPC reduced from 13.0 to 11.0.

Lets take a look at their damage and heat ratio's now. After the change, this brings them to a 3.08 dps to 2.77 hps (heat per second). In comparison to a large laser which is 2.77 dps with only 2.15 hps. Another major factor is large lasers also weigh 2 tons less. You also have the PPC which has considerably more firepower than the large pulse laser for the same hps and weight. So even after the changes this still remains an awkward and very situation based weapon.

I tried them after the patch on an atlas and did not have much luck. Has anyone else had a different experience with large pulse lasers after the patch?

I would like to see PGI change large pulse lasers in the future by reducing their tonnage by at least 1 ton. Medium pulse lasers in comparison to regular medium lasers have a better respective dmg/heat ratio.

#2 FromHell2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 734 posts
  • LocationGerm0ney

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

LPLas are pretty fine right now :P
As nature called me, I removed the 6PPC's in my STK-3F and replaced them with 6LPLas and 1HS. Works pretty well, Wub-Wub-Stalker. It's not the best build, but the sound of chainfire.. I love it *_*.
After some more testing, these lasers are nice for my brawler-pult (k2). Range is cut, but the damage-output seems pretty fine, heat is also comfortable. Huge improvement here ;)

#3 DrBlue62

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

LPL's aren't going to get any better IMO.

If it weren't for the two extra tons, LPL's would be superior to LL's in nearly every way aside from Range.

I was actually pleasantly surprised they got a 1.7 reduction in heat. That was much better than I could expect although I secretely hoped it was 2.0. However, the heat difference between LL's and LPL's is rather negligible in my opinion. The only reason why people might not put them on their mechs is because of the extra tonnage and their shorter range. Which I find to be a much better reason than being hot as pi$s.

#4 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 615 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

I'm looking at the LPL as a standoff weapon vs inbound weapons, to poke a few holes before they get in to close range. Reasonable use?

#5 Hedonism Robot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationSpace Pirate

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

I agree with DrBlue, however I do feel they could be just one ton less. They felt fine dmg wise but the extra 2 tons per laser really added up much faster than I had anticipated.

View PostPhoenix Gray, on 05 February 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

I'm looking at the LPL as a standoff weapon vs inbound weapons, to poke a few holes before they get in to close range. Reasonable use?

Not really sure, keep in mind they are most effective at 300 m, they are easy to land hits with and after the patch are better on heat. If mounted in the arms and you are a good shot they can help fend off a light mech with an ecm.

#6 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

LPL feels totally fine by me. It's the only weapon that has a digit in its heat level (unless you call Flamer as a weapon), meaning that PGI have probably done tons of experiments to find the balance.

I do hope they just reduce the heat to 7 though. It's already 2 tons heavier and much less ranged.

#7 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:39 AM

I will have to remake my charts for the new patch values, but a cursory glance suggested that the LPL might be okay. It has the 0.5 second beam duration advantage working for it. It could be that's not sufficient, but it won't need much of a tweak now.

#8 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

I'm going to be trying a 2LPL/2ML build on my Flame here shortly, trade out my usual autocannon for some extra firepower in the more focused beams. I'll let you know how it goes on raw feel, but I can say that using LPLs singly as striking/light defense weapons on my 1N and RVN 2X (shut up I bought it it's mine now o_o) felt successful enough to prompt me to try a major configuration change to my best and most reliable 'Mech. That's gotta be worth something, eh?

#9 Hedonism Robot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationSpace Pirate

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 06 February 2013 - 04:39 AM, said:

I will have to remake my charts for the new patch values, but a cursory glance suggested that the LPL might be okay. It has the 0.5 second beam duration advantage working for it. It could be that's not sufficient, but it won't need much of a tweak now.

Woot the scientist of mechwarrior himself </tips hat>!

#10 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

Verdict: hot, but good. I prefer my normal LBX configuration on the Flame, but only really because it spreads my firepower out better and does most of my heat management for me. When you get a good shot on someone with new-model large pulse lasers, they feel it. Additionally, said lasers work really well alongside medium lasers - they have a very similar range profile. Given that a large pulse laser deals just shy of two medium lasers' worth of damage per shot, it could be an interesting way of adding invisible medium lasers to a 'Mech with few energy hardpoints. You pay for it in tonnage, but the weapons themselves seem to do just fine in a fight.

#11 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

They're def. better than large lasers on short range now. If you like to get relatively close and have the tonnage for it I'd recommend them.

been running the 9M like this today
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ffc92dccafb7d5a

4 mediums + 2 LPL, can alpha a few times, if it gets too hot I switch to LPL only. works like a charm.

#12 Ryebear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

2 LLs, 4.24 dps 3.3 hps, 19 dmg, 450 range 10 tonnes
1 LPL 1 ML, 3.75 dps, 2.83 hps, 15 dmg, ~300 range, 8 tonnes

Seems pretty good to me, heat efficiency stays the about the same and I get the benefits of a short beam duration on the LPL. I sacrifice range and dmg for weight and heat for something like a redesigned 4 LL dragon build. And I can use the weight to add SRMs for extra dmg or add a bigger engine or add more heat sinks forvbetter heat efficiency.

#13 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

View PostHedonism Robot, on 06 February 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

Woot the scientist of mechwarrior himself </tips hat>!

*tips hat and gives link to new math thread* http://mwomercs.com/...-5th-2013-patch
I updated my charts.

#14 Jaded Jasper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:55 AM

If the shorter beam duration helps you hit LPLs are ok. Plus you can then spend less time exposing your center torso as you fire, which is handy against SRMs and ballistics up close.

Still, 2 extra tons, more heat, and less range? Not worth it if you don't have trouble keeping your lasers on target. Better to take a mix of Large Lasers and Medium Lasers I think.

#15 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

The damage is fine, but I would like these two tweaks:

1. Make them weigh 6T instead of 7T
2. Make them sound "meaner". They sound kind of limp now, unlike the MPL which has a nice powerful thump and sounds great.

#16 Parappaman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostNRP, on 07 February 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

2. Make them sound "meaner". They sound kind of limp now, unlike the MPL which has a nice powerful thump and sounds great.

Get a subwoofer and feel the thumps in your chest.

Edited by Parappaman, 07 February 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#17 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

View PostNRP, on 07 February 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

The damage is fine, but I would like these two tweaks:

1. Make them weigh 6T instead of 7T

Tonnage wise...maybe not. It would probably change too many things.

A sound re-design could really be appreciated though. A huge reason I stick to PPC is the sound. So sexy.

#18 Mister Dubis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 175 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:06 AM

I love the LPLS now. plus when i play my flame with 2LPLS, 2MPLS, and an SRM6 i have to take down the pictures on the wall for fear of them vibrating off.

#19 Anony Mouse

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationSabaku no Hana, Misery, Draconis Combine

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

View PostHedonism Robot, on 05 February 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

You also have the PPC which has considerably more firepower than the large pulse laser for the same hps and weight. So even after the changes this still remains an awkward and very situation based weapon.

Dont forget standard PPC have a 90M minimum range, no good in a knife fight. Also don't LPLs recycle faster?

#20 De La Fresniere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

They actually have very nice damage per heat now. With the 11% bonus damage per shot and slightly faster fire rate, they could have been a specialized brawler weapon.

However, with the 2 extra tons per laser and the 33% shorter range... they're really, really not worth using over regular LLs.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users