A Bit About Lore...

35 replies to this topic

#1 Bennep

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

So I know that Steiner is not-Germany, Rasalhague is not-Scandanavia but I'm not really sure what Marik is based upon. Could anyone that knows about the lore explain it to me a bit?

#2 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Not-America ;-) Marik-a

#3 Bennep

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Oh wow, now I feel pretty stupid for never noticing that before >.<

#4 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

Not-Austria-Hungary

#5 EarlGrey83

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

To answer your question, the Free Worlds League ("democraticaly" run by 3 houses, Marik the biggest) is based on meditaranian cultures, greek, italian and oriental and indian influences. Its the second biggest economy behind the Lyrans (Steiner).
As the only State in the Inner Sphere that has a somewhat selected ruler, its often hold back by political strugles.
More about: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/House_Marik

Edited by EarlGrey83, 06 February 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#6 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

Considering that it's a federation of states that historically don't necessarily get on very well, it does have its similarities to the EU. I've always felt that the Federated Suns is much more like the USA, both in how it sees itself and in its international politics.

#7 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

View PostUite Dauphni, on 07 February 2013 - 08:54 AM, said:

I've always felt that the Federated Suns is much more like the USA, both in how it sees itself and in its international politics.

And how writers prortray it. ;)

As for Marik, you can either choose Greek City states or EU, both are pretty representative of what Marik is. More on the Ancient Greece, though (states which war amongst each other, but can and will join forces when needed). As for what actually makes people not simply junk the EU view, it's because they are, like EU, a very multicultural society, which can't be said about Greeks, all of which spoke the same language and only enjoyed minor differences.

#8 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

I don't know what the debate is about. It's Space A-Marik-A, lol.

#9 Murku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

When I chose Marik I was like Fed Suns?, nah, too 'enlightened we deserve to kill you democracy'. Steiner?, to Fed Suns leghumpy. Liao?, nah, goons have chosen it. Ras?, irritating accents from MW2. Kurita too baddy, so Marik was all that was left.

Edited by Murku, 09 February 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#10 Senior Knight Steele

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 93 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

I get the feeling that the Free Worlds League is supposed to be kind of American. It's culturally diverse and is made up of several groups that could be compared to the States I guess. Even the emblem is obviously a bird of prey which could be an eagle... and yeah, the Marik-A thing. XD My opinion is just from reading about it on a wikia page though. Not from the novels.

Edited by Senior Knight Steele, 09 February 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#11 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

The Marik emblem definitely displays an eagle, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's related to the USA. The eagle was used on their standards over 2 millennia ago by the Romans, and from there spread into general use throughout Europe as an imperial symbol, most notably in the German speaking part. The Marik eagle as it's commonly portrayed is actually very similar to the design the NSDAP used, strange as that may sound.

And to strengthen the link to ancient Rome, that was also a very multicultural society that often fought amongst themselves, and guess what their imperial colour was. ;)

Edited by Uite Dauphni, 09 February 2013 - 03:47 PM.

#12 Senior Knight Steele

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 93 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

Well as an American I'm probably just subconsciously wanting to draw parallels to my own nation. ^.^ I guess it could be all or none of the plethora of different nations mentioned. I did know those things about the about the Roman empire though. Just being biased, I guess. XD Here's a question. Does the name Marik have any specific cultural significance? I haven't read anything about where the original guy was from. Like, if his name was O'Reilly we could assume he was Irish and then draw lines to Ireland for example. I've never heard the name Marik before.

#13 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:16 AM

Well, in the fictional history, the Mariks come from the Austro-Hungarian empire, and specifically, they are Czechs. But every faction is a cultural pastiche to some extent, and the Free Worlds League even more so than the others. The FWL is much more than just House Marik. There's also the Regulans, with a distinct Indian flavour, and Oriente and Andurien with a more Mediterranean flavour, and there are a lot of smaller groups too. It's not called the Free Worlds League for nothing!

#14 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:25 AM

View PostUite Dauphni, on 10 February 2013 - 02:16 AM, said:

Well, in the fictional history, the Mariks come from the Austro-Hungarian empire, and specifically, they are Czechs.

Mind if I asked for the source on that?

#15 RoninV3

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNorth America, Terra

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:43 AM

If you look, the last Interstellar power that most resembled the United States was the Terran Hegemony. Most of the planets of the Hegemony where 1st or 2nd generation Terran colonies. None of the Successor states or the Star League have any similarity to the US due to the varied use of feudalism. However nearly all of the states (except Cappellan Confederation) have a standard of citizens rights and due process (even in the Draconis Combine citizens have rights but those are subject to the needs of the Combine).

#16 RoninV3

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNorth America, Terra

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

This is from the Free worlds League Manual (FASA 1699)
"The League's three founding provinces intended it to be a democracy, ruled by elected representatives from each member state."
"Originally, the Captain-Generalcy was a temporary position."
It was first given to Juliano Marik during the Stewart War in 2293- It was in 2571 with the creation of the Star League that Albert Marik negotiated a treaty with Ian Cameron that ONLY a Marik Captain-General could act as the Free Worlds League Representative to the Star League Council thus assuring the permanancy of Marik rule.
Resolution 288 passed by Parliment after the fall of the Star League cemented the Marik position by grantind discretionary powers for "the duration of the crisis" which has been the last 300+ years of the Succession Wars.

#17 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:04 AM

View PostRoninV3, on 10 February 2013 - 02:43 AM, said:

However nearly all of the states (except Cappellan Confederation) have a standard of citizens rights.

We've got rights in the CC. We just earn them in school.

Still better than most Davion citizens who don't even know what a school actually is. ;)

#18 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:34 AM

View PostAdridos, on 10 February 2013 - 02:25 AM, said:

Mind if I asked for the source on that?

Handbook House Marik (WizKids, 2005), page 11

#19 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:18 AM

View PostUite Dauphni, on 10 February 2013 - 03:34 AM, said:

Handbook House Marik (WizKids, 2005), page 11

Thanks, it's nice to know that I should look out for the Marik ruler in 2020. Prague's not all that big of a trip from here. :)

#20 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:35 AM

View PostAdridos, on 10 February 2013 - 04:18 AM, said:

Thanks, it's nice to know that I should look out for the Marik ruler in 2020. Prague's not all that big of a trip from here. :P

You wont find any, as the name faded into obscurity after the demise of Austria-Hungary. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users