#41 HighlandCoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 772 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 06 February 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

Have you done this Vass? Im concerned about being accused of cheating, but curious to give it a try ;)

#42 Jello2142

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

View PostHighlandCoo, on 06 February 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Have you done this Vass? Im concerned about being accused of cheating, but curious to give it a try ;)

Rest assured quite a few people do this

#43 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

I like it. More color definition. When I go outside the colors are pretty crisp.

#44 General Discussion Kerensky

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Now if only we could turn off the brown and gray filters (and Caustic Valley's **** yellow) and bring MORE nice colors into this. I miss the clear blue sky on forest colony, NERF RAIN!

#45 HighlandCoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 772 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 06 February 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Butch has nothing to do with it. I don't watch Saving Private Ryan instead of Ninja Turtles so I can feel more butch.

And this isn't a silly kids game, the average age of the people playing this game is probably a lot higher than most games. I doubt you'll find many players under 16 playing this game. Maybe this will change when the game is officially released, but right now the player base has a pretty solid core of adults between 20 and 40 who have been fans of the MechWarrior games since the 90's.

Fair enough. Im just not sure I take it all as seriously as you macho tabletop gaming guys. ;)

#46 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

View PostHighlandCoo, on 06 February 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

I had it in since it was made, up until the patches started demanding I reinstall the game every single time. Right now, things look pretty good without it and sweetFX.

Butch has nothing to do with it. I don't watch Saving Private Ryan instead of Ninja Turtles so I can feel more butch.

And this isn't a silly kids game, the average age of the people playing this game is probably a lot higher than most games. I doubt you'll find many players under 16 playing this game. Maybe this will change when the game is officially released, but right now the player base has a pretty solid core of adults between 20 and 40 who have been fans of the MechWarrior games since the 90's.

It's a game made for kids, with brightly colored robots, beating on other brightly colored robots. It's so old, there wasn't brown and bloom back then.

The one thing battletech's always had, regardless of era, is bright and vibrant colors on the mechs.

Do you feel 40k would be a better game if it was all bloom, blur, brown, and 'gritty realism?' Yet, despite how colorful 40k is, it's one of the most violent and for real gritty settings out there.

#47 Rofl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 435 posts
  • LocationTrash can around the corner.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

95% of stats on the internet are made up on the spot.
The game is open to all now that we're in open beta. There's ads everywhere for people to play, they're pushing as hard as they can for more players currently. I think the only difference in the player base between now and release is we'll finally convince all our friends to join with us once CW and other major points are implemented.

As far as it being a kid game... I don't think there's an ESRB coming out but my guess would be Teen, which isn't to say it's marketed for teens, but they are definitely park of the market.

#48 HighlandCoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 772 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

My 2 cents - more often than not "gritty realism" in gaming translates to "bone grindingly dull"

I honestly dont care about realism, I just care about fun.

(Disclaimer: Unless Im buying "flightsim X200 - now with more buttons!" Or some thing of that ilk.. Like you know, something REAL that can be accurately SIMULATED)

Do the new screens add to the fun? Not really, though they are far more useful than what we had before.
Do the new screens not fit in with the overall aesthetic of the game? No idea. Whats an aesthetic?

Edited by HighlandCoo, 06 February 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#49 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

Speaking for myself and the two dudes I play with, we love it.

My buddy (upon first seeing the pre-launch screen) said: "Wow, this almost looks like a real, professional game now!". And we joked about how it might be time to finally suggest this game to our less hardcore friends.

Keep up the good work PGI. I'm pleased with the progress I've been seeing in 2013.

#50 DeadEyeDeale

• PipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 23 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

I think the new style is fine within the context that we are disembodied from Community Warfare, Factions, a known setting, and the Inner Sphere in general. We don't even know where these maps/planets are. These are randomly matched arena fights, and the UI reflects that.

What I hope is that when things like Community Warfare and a more Persistant World do come out, that the UI will be updated further to reflect the context those occur in. IE not a report from ESPN or Solaris Live, but a report from some Battle Network software or a Clerk punching it into a high-tech PDF.

I do agree that the UI animation effect whenever first displayed causes a delay before it can be read. I also agree that it takes longer to get a read on things like # enemies remaining and who is/isn't dead. This is critical information.

I feel like rather than relying on that Score Screen for information about the battle, though, there ought to be a more informative set of fields or a new screen or addins to the HUD for which info is shown. Stuff like: which teamates are still alive and the total remaining enemy 'mechs. Hopefully that is in the works for Matchmaking Phase 3 or maybe Community Warfare.

#51 FerretGR

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 06 February 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

Ten years of 'real' games being brown and bloom has made it so people think you can't have colors in war. A gritty, manly, grown up game, that's overflowing with testosterone, simply isn't so if it's in color.

Then it's like a nintendo game, or my little pony. Color isn't for men.

If I'm being all devil's advocate, there's Halo...

#52 Iwaslost

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So gritty.

Edit: Also: http://mwomercs.com/...ish-paint-jobs/

Edited by Iwaslost, 06 February 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#53 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostHighlandCoo, on 06 February 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

Fair enough. Im just not sure I take it all as seriously as you macho tabletop gaming guys. ;)

Well, I don't see why all computer games should be considered kiddy stuff. See above argument.

View PostVassago Rain, on 06 February 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

It's a game made for kids, with brightly colored robots, beating on other brightly colored robots. It's so old, there wasn't brown and bloom back then.
The one thing battletech's always had, regardless of era, is bright and vibrant colors on the mechs.
Do you feel 40k would be a better game if it was all bloom, blur, brown, and 'gritty realism?' Yet, despite how colorful 40k is, it's one of the most violent and for real gritty settings out there.

Not sure what you mean by 40k, but the Space Marine game was pretty gritty. It's not just the colours, it's the menus, the pop-ups, everything. You'll notice there's a lot of blood and gore in 40k. I wouldn't object to some blood being splattered across the screen if my mech had cockpit damage.

View PostRofl, on 06 February 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

95% of stats on the internet are made up on the spot.
The game is open to all now that we're in open beta. There's ads everywhere for people to play, they're pushing as hard as they can for more players currently. I think the only difference in the player base between now and release is we'll finally convince all our friends to join with us once CW and other major points are implemented.
As far as it being a kid game... I don't think there's an ESRB coming out but my guess would be Teen, which isn't to say it's marketed for teens, but they are definitely park of the market.

http://mwomercs.com/...ou-mechwarrior/

Statistics can be found here. Of course, it's not exactly a random sample of players, but never the less. I think we agree that the average MWO player is older than the average WOW / TOR player, for example.

#54 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostM A L I C E, on 06 February 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

Posted Image

Damn...you have an endless supply of these or what?

#55 Iwaslost

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 06 February 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

Well, I don't see why all computer games should be considered kiddy stuff. See above argument.

Not sure what you mean by 40k, but the Space Marine game was pretty gritty. It's not just the colours, it's the menus, the pop-ups, everything. You'll notice there's a lot of blood and gore in 40k. I wouldn't object to some blood being splattered across the screen if my mech had cockpit damage.

http://mwomercs.com/...ou-mechwarrior/

Statistics can be found here. Of course, it's not exactly a random sample of players, but never the less. I think we agree that the average MWO player is older than the average WOW / TOR player, for example.

Actually this game fits almost exactly with the average age of video gamers. If anything it's on the low end.

http://www.theesa.com/facts/index.asp

#56 anonymous175

• Bad Company
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

It's death match right now, so you get death match styled screens.

I want it to go even further Maximum Crysis-style (Crysis 3 has your showcase of kills!) until CW is in then we can go back to more MRE style screens.

#57 Weaselball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 670 posts
  • LocationHell's ********, AKA Fresno.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 06 February 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

As you stated that's not the best sampling of players. It's probably not even a good sampling of players. The number of people who read these forums, nay, the number of people who POST or reply to these forum threads, is (my guess) a small, small fraction of those who play.

As for your second comment, I doubt it. I myself do not play WoW or TOR, but I know people that do and they're all in their 20's and 30's. So judging by MY own sampling, 100% of the people who play MWO are the same age as those that play WoW.

See? Assumptions are great!

#58 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostIwaslost, on 06 February 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

Actually this game fits almost exactly with the average age of video gamers. If anything it's on the low end.

http://www.theesa.com/facts/index.asp

Could you back that up with some numbers? Assuming that those ESA numbers are correct (they could very well be off), why are you suggesting that the average MWO player is younger than 30?

#59 Natasha Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostMordynak, on 06 February 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

Wait... MWO is a war simulator? Are you kidding or what? Please tell me that when you turn on the news and see a report about the war you see GIANT ****** MECHS runing around firing lasers at each other...

This war simulator take place in 3050. Last time I checked we are in the year 2013 so you're right, when I turn on the tv, it doesn't show giant mechs running around firing lasers at each other.

#60 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostWeaselball, on 06 February 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

As you stated that's not the best sampling of players. It's probably not even a good sampling of players. The number of people who read these forums, nay, the number of people who POST or reply to these forum threads, is (my guess) a small, small fraction of those who play.
As for your second comment, I doubt it. I myself do not play WoW or TOR, but I know people that do and they're all in their 20's and 30's. So judging by MY own sampling, 100% of the people who play MWO are the same age as those that play WoW.
See? Assumptions are great!

Wel, if you really believe that, I don't know what to tell you. If you're just agreeing with what I already said, then cool.

Fortunately, it's all somewhat irrelevant, as it's perfectly possible to have an movie or computer game with an adult or realistic approach, and still sell it to youths and kids. I don't know how things are in America, but in Norway, kids (and their parents) don't give a rat's *** about what games are rated for adults.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 06 February 2013 - 01:14 PM.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users