Brawling: To Atrimis Or Not To Artimis

15 replies to this topic

#1 Pupecki

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

I have been having a hard time deciding whether or not atrimis is worth it on a brawler with srm 6's and figured I'd come to the community for a little help. So here is my question, is artimis worth the extra c-bills and weight on a brawler or is it just better to leave the srms standard and invest in more heatsinks?

/discuss

#2 MistenTH

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

I run artemis on my atlases. Definitely worth it for me, more pinpoint damage versus other assaults, when you need to knock their side torso down faster.

#3 AllOuttaBubbleGum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

On my atlases I don't feel like I need it but on my highlanders it seems to be more necessary, Not sure why, it may have something to do with my brawling/pop tart style.

#4 Pupecki

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

View PostWidow Maker, on 20 April 2013 - 07:54 AM, said:

On my atlases I don't feel like I need it but on my highlanders it seems to be more necessary, Not sure why, it may have something to do with my brawling/pop tart style.

yeah the mech in question is the 733C and I think it may have something to do with how spread out the hard points are

#5 Obelo

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

For me it was really helpful in my DDC.It feels like half your missiles miss without it and you are not forced to go into face to face fights, can stay behind cover and still hit something.

#6 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

SRM6's need artemis now. They just need it. If you're not face humping your target, the lower per missile damage renders them about as useful as an lbx-ac10 beyond 90m. Artemis clusters them up tightly so you achieve better pinpoint damage AND can use them effectively out to max range.

#7 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

If you can afford the tonnage and crit space, Artemis is almost always worth it.

#8 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostNRP, on 20 April 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

If you can afford the tonnage and crit space, Artemis is almost always worth it.
If you can't afford the critical space/tonnage, use SRM4's instead. They fire tighter, and cycle faster. You'll get the same total damage done (same number of missiles to fire), and can fire more useful blasts more often with much less heat.

#9 n00bfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 208 posts
  • LocationAtlantic Ocean

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

SRM4 without Artemis is a viable alternative. I actually prefer it myself, for the balance of weight / heat / accuracy.

If you want to use SRM6, I find that the extra ton for Artemis is worthwhile. SRM6's can't hit the broad side of a barn door without Artemis.

#10 Biggieboy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

For me it boils down to either srm6 or srm4+artemis. Both weigh the same amount, and depending on how many srm's you have, you may drop 1 ton of ammunition when using srm4+artemis compared to srm6.

Here's a test done by mechspecs:

Some interesting results there, this might help you...

#11 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Artemis is pretty much always worth it, especially these days. It's extra punch (which SRM brawlers need right now) and extra range (which basically never hurts) for no additional heat cost.

#12 Jim Stark

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

View PostBiggieboy, on 20 April 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

For me it boils down to either srm6 or srm4+artemis. Both weigh the same amount, and depending on how many srm's you have, you may drop 1 ton of ammunition when using srm4+artemis compared to srm6.

Here's a test done by mechspecs:

Some interesting results there, this might help you...

Thanks for this, pretty much confirmed to me what I experienced. It`s either SRM4 or SSRM2s. I lately prefer SSRM2s for a variety of reasons lately even on my brawler. Less heat, can aim and lock using arms reticle, seems to benefit from modules target decay and mostly allow me to torso twist using arms as shield and still be able to fire them at my target which is a good bonus while cooling off main weaponry.

#13 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

I personally find SRM4 works better with Artemis as it's basically turned into an LBX10. Works great on my PB's left arm and my DDC.

SRM6? Honestly Artemis only makes SRM6's spread form CRAAAAAAAZY to merely acceptable, and in some cases not necessarily worth the weight trade-off. I have Artemis on my brawler AWS8R boating 4xSRM6 and not on my 733C. Quid pro quo.

#14 ohtochooseaname

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

I think it actually comes down to missile tubes/volley load from a single section. From experience, the spread of the SRM's increases with the number of missiles fired from a single component. So, if you are firing 3 SRM6's from your single side torso, that's 18 missiles, and it'll spread like crazy. If you're firing an SRM6 from the arm of a Raven, that's 1 missile at a time, and it'll have no spread. The difference between the highlander and the Atlas is that the missiles are spread between the two sections in the Highlander, whereas, in the Atlas, they only come from one component. Hence, the Atlas needs it while the Highlander does not.

#15 SchwarzerPeter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 202 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

I witched from SRM6 to SRM4 + Artemis in my Atlas D-DC. You lose some punch when you are sticking right into another assault, when the missiles have no chance to spread. But thats the only case SRM6 are better. Even at 100m away SRM4+A are superior, you can even aim at the section you want to hit. And its accurate all the way up to 270m.

So you use them way more often and dish out a lot more damage.

#16 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

I use artemis on my 733C, merely because of the dislocation of one of the hardpoints so it makes it much easier to focus down a component.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users