4 replies to this topic

#1 Sidewinder One

Rookie

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 6 posts
  • LocationPirate hunting in the Periphery

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

I've found controlling my mech's forward momentum to be a very difficult. This has caused me no end of targeting & maneuvering issues. More so in light mechs than any other class. Now I'll admit to a lack of experience with MW:O & skills so out of date they may be fossilized. That said I'd still like to hear what the Devs and more experienced players have to say.

In short: Is it me or the throttle that needs work?

#2 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

The throttle is imperfect, but very usable. Best to actually look at the little meter and see how it works. If you hold forward you're setting the desired speed of your mech and your mech will accelerate until it reaches that speed. Holding down the button is not needed for actually setting the speed, just the desired speed.

Use X frequently to stop or adjust your speed to a low setting quickly by pressing X and tapping <up> once or twice.

#3 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

It's important, especially for fast mechs, to never cruise around at top speeds until you get better at piloting. Keep it at no more than 75% throttle unless you're in the open.

Also use liberal use of the kill throttle ('X' key) I have mine mapped to 'F' since it's easier for me to reach. When you need quick banking response, tap it periodically to maintain control while turning.

#4 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

actually i find the heaviest mechs respond the slowest. like stopping an aircraft carrier.

i went back to an atlas today after not playing one for probably more than a month. i did not do well. i am not used to the slow aiming and lack of agility.

but that is part of what makes this game good. you actually feel like you are piloting a giant robot. keep practicing, you will get used to it.

#5 Nonsense

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 06 February 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

Use X frequently to stop or adjust your speed to a low setting quickly by pressing X and tapping <up> once or twice.

This is what I do. It works really well, especially when you need to change speed so you can make a tighter turn. It can also be used to quickly start losing momentum so you can go into reverse (key for fighting faster mechs in a slow mech).

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users