Stop Recording Stats Now!

54 replies to this topic

#41 Psiclone

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:26 AM

View Postmwhighlander, on 06 February 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

No, by all means, keep recording stats.

Players who depend on the crutches of sync-drops, or exploiting Raven 3Ls will find themselves at a VERY high ELO rating.

When their crutches are removed, all they will have left is their epeen getting crushed by players who actually know what they are doing as they see their stats plummet by playing against actual good pilots.

I see no problem. Karma will sort the matter out.

I can say that love doubling or tripling the damage of everyone else on my time but I can't wait for the day when I actually have to be worried about being killed in my RVN-3L. Sounds exciting!

#42 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

View PostHuntsman, on 07 February 2013 - 05:14 AM, said:

What's with this buzz word all of the sudden? ELO? Electronic Lights Orchestra? Right, it's got to do with rankings, but the sats screen talks about KDR and w/l. Where is this "elo" rating everyone seems intent on discussing?

Yeah, it's basically dont bring me down.

#43 Gammanoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

View PostTzukasa, on 07 February 2013 - 01:34 AM, said:

LMAO you're kidding right? I get on avg 400-600 dmg on my 3L. Hell my VERY first match with the 3L before getting ANY xp's I did 943 dmg with 6 kills and 2 assists lol.

Great, now please show me where the average player in a Raven does that or any other light mech for that matter? Most people I see in any lighter mech manage to get killed within the two minute mark...

Still, it's nice that you feel the need to post how great you are, though I was a bit disappointed that you didn't post any end of round screenshots.

I mean if you are going to try and boast at least provide some nice visuals.

Edited by Gammanoob, 07 February 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#44 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

I hope with the inclusion of ELO they hurriedly implement a "custom match" feature or "pre-arranged drop" where we can pick an opponent, or opponents and have duels!

#45 Rauchsauger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

View PostGammanoob, on 07 February 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

Great, now please show me where the average player in a Raven does that or any other light mech for that matter? Most people I see in any lighter mech manage to get killed within the two minute mark...

Still, it's nice that you feel the need to post how great you are, though I was a bit disappointed that you didn't post any end of round screenshots.

I mean if you are going to try and boast at least provide some nice visuals.

While I think that averaging 400 to 600 is surely exagerated (also you can average only one amount)
getting around 400 in a 3L is achievable

#46 Gammanoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

Yeah, I don't think it's really an exaggeration to average 400 damage in the Raven 3L if you know what you are doing or play with a premade but I do think it is silly to suggest that the average Raven in a given match will do so much damage.

Looking back at some end round screenshots I have from the last couple of days(where I can see what mech people were in) I don't exactly find a large number of light mechs of any sort topping the charts.

Edited by Gammanoob, 07 February 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#47 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

I am mastering various mechs and sometimes I am in a variant I am not upgrading because I know I am selling it as soon as I hit Elite (I don't do 3 variants to master as I have other mechs in the same weight class to count). So those times I might be doing bad, like a Raven 4X just stock.

#48 Zerstorer Stallin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 683 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

The moment we figure out what gives you a higher/lower ELO there will be entire clans running days were they do nothing but lower their ELO so they can fight lesser ELO players. Its happened in other games, it will happen in this one. ELO is a bad idea proven to be a bad idea time and time again, yet instead of bring us a META game, more maps and trying to figure out how to introduce clans with out it becoming MWCO is taking a back set. Sounds like time well spent.

#49 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

How you lower your Elo score is to get crushed, brutally, in about 25 or 30 matches without a single win.

Go ahead. This will get you a 1 step reduction in your Elo ranking. 2 points per win/loss, each tier is a 50 point block. So reducing yourself from one 'tier' of Elo to another means losing 25 more games than you win.

Given that every win will bump them back up the result would be 31 losses to start with. Then 5 wins, followed by 5 losses, unable to win more than 5 games in a row or you're back up to your prior tier.

To gimp your own Elo rating you've got to just lose again and again and again and again until you're fighting people who are only a single tier less talented than you. At that point you can't get more than a 50/50 win rate or you're back up to your old tier again.

Just not seeing it.What's the point of playing against less skilled players when you're still required to lose half the time to avoid rising.

Show me where Elo is a 'bad idea', or has been proven to be a 'bad idea' before.

Elo will be hidden. It may (will almost certainly) change over time behind the scene. The fact that it's being kept need to know even on the developers side means they realize that if people know how it works it'll get gamed.

Without good matchmaking the game won't even get off the ground. Some day we're going to look back and talk about the days of pugstomps when the game would drop seasoned team players against newbies and random pugs and the jackasses will say how they miss it, reminding us all of exactly why Elo got put in to start with.

#50 Foo2rama

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 28 posts
  • LocationHacking the Gibson

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Not an issue...

You add the score of all pilots together and divide by 8 to get a team average. So if you lose in a 7man you loose less, if you win in a 7 man you win more ELO. Conversely the 8 man team wins less and looses more...

this is the bigger issue

http://mwomercs.com/...ystem-problems/

#51 Malora Sidewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 390 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostJSparrowist, on 06 February 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

Far more often than it should.

true, but to put a number probably 5.

#52 Woopass

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 209 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

View PostFrupertApricot, on 06 February 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

there is no way stats recorded at this stage can form a meaningful ELO.

Matches are still constantly launching 6v8, 7v8, 7v6, etc. and currently it looks like your "match score" is mostly based on damage, favoring heavy/missileers. Just seems like a bad idea to be taking data seriously from this period.

If you want a game with Elo, go play League of legends.

THIS IS MECHWARRIOR!

#53 Carnivoris

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

I don't have missiles of any type in any of the builds I've been running since. I've been consistently getting 500-800 match score and being in the top 4 of my team. I don't see a problem.

#54 Mackman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 07 February 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

Show me where Elo is a 'bad idea', or has been proven to be a 'bad idea' before.

Elo will be hidden. It may (will almost certainly) change over time behind the scene. The fact that it's being kept need to know even on the developers side means they realize that if people know how it works it'll get gamed.

Without good matchmaking the game won't even get off the ground. Some day we're going to look back and talk about the days of pugstomps when the game would drop seasoned team players against newbies and random pugs and the jackasses will say how they miss it, reminding us all of exactly why Elo got put in to start with.

This is what people just don't seem to get. How can anyone argue with a straight face that Elo could possibly be worse than what we have right now? Can you imagine League of Legends without Elo? Just a random match where you might be placed with a first-time player, or you might have a member of a pro team playing against you?

Without Elo, LoL would have failed miserably. Without some sort of matchmaking system, this game will die, as people get better and better, and newbies just get stomped worse and worse.

#55 Kraegor

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

I wonder if the original poster has done research?

In almost all the 8v7 matches I have played it is mostly my teammates on Teamspeak saying "crap I crashed to desktop".

I am not sure that most games actually launch without 8 players in a queue. When it says waiting for pilots, I am pretty sure those are the people loading the actual game.

It doesn't just start a match, and hope there are enough players out there to fill the slots. Because till this day, I have never been in a 5v5 match because it couldn't find people.

I am relatively sure its because people are crashing, dropping the game, and whatnot, and that in no way is the game's fault, other than it being a bug that people bluescreen, blackscreen or crash to desktop.

Just my observations in playing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users