New Shut Down Orverride Doesn't Make Sense At All...

84 replies to this topic

#81 Pr8Dator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostThontor, on 11 February 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

That hasn't been my experience... If I overheat and shutdown and want to start up early, I press P once and it starts up early

Really its the same exact system MWO has always had, the only thing hat changed is the button to power up after an overheat shut down is now P instead of O

That hasn't been my experience... If I overheat and shutdown and want to start up early, I press P once and it starts up early

Really its the same exact system MWO has always had, the only thing hat changed is the button to power up after an overheat shut down is now P instead of O

You are delusional...

Hitting P only shutsdown the mech after it spent all the time powering back up again.

#82 Scatterplot

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

It makes perfect sense.

Regardless of how it happened, P turns your mech on and off.
If you begin to overheat, pressing O temporarily disables automatic shutdown.

You have three indicators of overheating and imminent shutdown.
1. Your heat bar percentage flashes.
2. The heat level critical audio chirp starts.
3. Betty reports quite clearly "Heat Level Critical".

When you press O at any time besides being shutdown, you have two indicators that the override worked.
1. A flashing red warning says "OVERRIDE ENGAGED".
2. Betty reports quite clearly "Override Shutdown".

If you are not playing with the sound on I could understand your frustrations but you are really doing it to yourself if that's the case.

#83 Megacromulent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

View PostBDU Havoc, on 08 February 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

Guess what OVERRIDE AUTOMATIC SHUTDOWN does? It OVERRIDES THE AUTOMATIC SHUTDOWN.
So when you get the warning that your heat level is critical, I.e. you are about to automatically shutdown, you OVERRIDE THE AUTOMATIC SHUTDOWN.

THERE IS NO "OVERRIDE AUTOMATIC SHUTDOWN"!!! It's just called "OVERRIDE SHUTDOWN", which the current borked system does _not_ do! (which my OP was about RELABELING)

See, this is what the game says:
Posted Image

What you are thinking it says is "Start timer to disable shutdown", which is what it actually does.

View PostBDU Havoc, on 08 February 2013 - 07:32 AM, said:

Your reading comprehension and heat management problems are up to you to fix, not PGI.

Why u gotta be a jerk?

View PostPr8Dator, on 11 February 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

Please bring back the old overheat system... this system is crappy beyond description!

YES

View Postpistolero, on 11 February 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

why was a good working gamesystem modified and replaced by an extremly bad system at all ???

*sigh* who knows, people don't like other people having fun?

hahaha, no it isn't, I feel stupid repeating what every knows, pressing O/activating override has ALWAYS (ALWAYS) been about overriding an _ACTIVE_ shutdown IN PROGRESS, NOT "overriding" the "START" of a shutdown.

#84 Sable Dove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

View PostMegachromulent, on 11 February 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

hahaha, no it isn't, I feel stupid repeating what every knows, pressing O/activating override has ALWAYS (ALWAYS) been about overriding an _ACTIVE_ shutdown IN PROGRESS, NOT "overriding" the "START" of a shutdown.

Except it's actually always been about overriding a shutdown that has already happened, which is stupid. Overriding a shutdown that has already happened is called powering up your mech. Trying to start an engine while it's winding down is liable to cause significant damage, which in this case would likely lead to blowing yourself up.

New system makes more sense in every way. It's not implemented particularly well, but it's still less dumb than the old system.

#85 Vahnn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 357 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationFargo

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

You're still carrying on with this business, I see.

Can anyone please explain to me how this new shutdown override is in anyway difficult? Hell, I like the new mechanic. It forces players to be aware of their heat and make a conscious decision to override the safety settings to risk dealing a little more damage in exchange for the risk of blowing themselves up.

I have Override Shutdown bound to Shift. My pinky literally sits on that key by default from over a decade and a half of FPS shooters. When a match starts, do an Alpha. See how much your heat goes up. Take that number and subtract it from 100. THAT IS YOUR SAFETY WINDOW.

If you think you might go over 100% heat, Override. If you don't go over, no big deal. If you do, you don't shut down.

Stop crying.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users