10 replies to this topic

#1 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

So I've decided on a Cataphract as my next 'Mech and next 'Mech to get to Elite with.

I was wondering what a good variant to start with would be. I've been thinking about the 4X, but was told there are better options unless you're boating ACs. Thoughts on this?

#2 Deztroyez

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

I'm a cataphract user, owning a 1X, 2X and a 4X. Personally, I love the 2X followed by 1X, and the 4X ranking last.

it all depends on what you want to play as though, the 1X is good to be a laser boat, been using it with 4LL and has been a blast. 2 LL and 2 ER PPCs works wonders too, if you feel like having a little diversity and want to train on using PPCs to disable those ECM mechs in the future :D

The 2X is a little tough, I find it more to the get-in-close type. I fit this with ac/20, 2ML, and 2 SRM6's. The SRM6 works wonders with this mech, since it only has 4 missile ports. It shoots 2 volleys each time you shoot one SRM6 and this gives them a lot of screen shake. Follow that up with a ac/20 and you can give them a headache.

The 4X seems to be a problem for me though. There is the obvious dual gauss build, but that just feels...dishonour. I have to admit to using it too though, but its just to get it upgraded into the elite category. Had the 4X for a long time, still dont know what to do with it. Currently testing it with 2 ac/5, UAC 5 and 2MLs.

Just my 2 cents worth, dont get the 4X unless your ping is good too XD trying to lead shots with 300 ping is not fun at all, I learnt that the hard way DX.

and BTW, all my variants have Endo-Steel, dual sinks (except 4X, this thing is confusing to use) and stock engines, no XLs, since I use them for brawling :P

as for a starter mech, I suggest the 1X. Versatile for you to switch into a ac10/20/gauss build or laser build, your choice really.

Edited by Deztroyez, 06 February 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#3 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

My aim here is to be more ballistic-oriented. Is the 3D viable for an intermediate build?

#4 Deztroyez

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

that works too, but I don't have a say in this since I don't own one...yet. Want to give those jump jets a try, but I'm afraid of hos my equipment would fit into it o__O The 3D and 1X are similar, so you can probably try your hand at the 1X 1st if you're a little tight on budget. The 3D does have more ballistics slots though.

If you're going to go for ballistics, then I guess the 3D would be a good choice if C-bills ain't a problem :D

#5 DegeneratePervert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

http://www.mechspecs...?290-The-Howler

This build is very fun on the 4X. You core things quickly.

#6 Mr Blonde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 175 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

I currently am running a 4X with 2 Ultra 5's, one regular AC/5, and one LL. Go with max armor and 255XL engine, 5 tons ammo for the UAC's and only one for the AC/5 (they run out about the same time with this amount). It can core out CT's very fast, or side torsos on those Atlas DC's everyone likes.

#7 Mr Blonde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 175 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

I was disappointed to find out that my original plan of mounting 4 UAC/5's was undone by those thrice-bedamned lower arm actuators...I was just going to have fun with that. Perhaps someday they will put out the Annihilator or the Bane (Clans) and we can go to UAC heaven.

#8 Stringburka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 597 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

I'm also a newb on heavier 'mechs, and recently got a Catapult 3D after a discussion here. Maybe you find something helpful there.

Like you, I like ballistics.

The cataphracts seem like very well-made variants, in that all are likeable, all can be built awesome stuff with, and most are quite versatile.

I got a 3D partly because it was on sale and I had some founder MC left (1900 MC for something that costs 9 million CB? YES PLEASE) and partly because it felt like the most versatile.

The setup I've had the most luck with is a dual-UAC-5, dual-PPC build I'm currently using, with an XL295 engine (I had one lying around) used for sniping, though it can still work decently in close as long as you can keep those 90 meters for the PPC's to work.

#9 Bogus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

The 4X is great if you want to boat AC5s, I have one and it's good times. Runs out of ammo *very* fast though. It's very ballistic-focused though, if you want a more balanced fit or even *gasp* a laser-dominant fit you'll want a 1X or 3D.

When planning your build bear in mind that phract has very large LT/RT and so an XL engine is a bad idea unless you're sniping. You will definitely lose side toros pretty frequently.

#10 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

My 4x is probably the dustiest mech in my stable. If I'm gonna be that slow, I'd rather be in my STKs... love my 3D and IM though, and the 2x might be a nice addition (1X made kinda obsolete by 3D IMO...)

#11 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

the phract is my favourite, I use muromets, 4x and 1x, in that order. the mariners I use 2 ac10 and 2 medium pulse lasers to great effect. the 4x I like using 4 ac5. and the 1x I use 4 large lasers, I may try out large pulse lasers now that the heat has been reduced a tad. good luck with your choice, whatever it is I'm sure it will be rewarding

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users