8 replies to this topic

#1 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

Those of us without Machinima contracts who have youtube channels, that feature good to great gameplay, opinions (mostly good), advice, tips, etc. for the player base and churn the MWO name out there are unable to find any forms or such that may be required for monetizing our use of PGI's copyrighted content.

I've seen people who have monetized without permission, however that can sometimes lead to content strikes, copyright claims, shutdown of youtube account, etc. Such would likely hurt my attempt to get a Machinima partnership myself.

I'm grinding and churning advanced tutorials, making it a point to own the hero 'Mechs, to work with a group to get the good footage of strategic combat showing that this is the thinking man's shooter that it claims to be. I'm getting my name out there, beefing up the subscriber base with real people and not the instant-fame bots that many use.

This leaves me wondering... Does PGI have a permission form with the rules and stipulations for monetizing gameplay, tutorial, and commentary videos utilizing the content of Mechwarrior Online that I could use, refer/link to, etc. should any issues arise?

Posted Image

Asking to be able to have youtube/google's ads help pay me a little back to help support me to support PGI's efforts to make this game great. Thank you.

#2 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

As long as you use only footage you film with Fraps, there would be no claim against your video.

#3 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

View PostKoniving, on 07 February 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

Those of us without Machinima contracts who have youtube channels, that feature good to great gameplay, opinions (mostly good), advice, tips, etc. for the player base and churn the MWO name out there are unable to find any forms or such that may be required for monetizing our use of PGI's copyrighted content.

I've seen people who have monetized without permission, however that can sometimes lead to content strikes, copyright claims, shutdown of youtube account, etc. Such would likely hurt my attempt to get a Machinima partnership myself.

I'm grinding and churning advanced tutorials, making it a point to own the hero 'Mechs, to work with a group to get the good footage of strategic combat showing that this is the thinking man's shooter that it claims to be. I'm getting my name out there, beefing up the subscriber base with real people and not the instant-fame bots that many use.

This leaves me wondering... Does PGI have a permission form with the rules and stipulations for monetizing gameplay, tutorial, and commentary videos utilizing the content of Mechwarrior Online that I could use, refer/link to, etc. should any issues arise?

Posted Image

Asking to be able to have youtube/google's ads help pay me a little back to help support me to support PGI's efforts to make this game great. Thank you.

That poor Cataphract.. what have you done to it D:

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

View PostKyle Polulak, on 07 February 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

As long as you use only footage you film with Fraps, there would be no claim against your video.

That helps, thank you. I suppose if something does come up, I can always swoop back to this thread and ask for a policy or something I could refer to. :D

#5 Selgald

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

Hello xxx,

As we are now in Open Beta you can post videos or images of gameplay on YouTube or other sites but these cannot be monetized.

Regards,
Magius
GameMaster
MechWarrior® Online™

So Support says no monetize, Kyle says yes.

Whos right?

Edited by Selgald, 07 February 2013 - 05:35 PM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Technically, Kyle says there will be no copyright claims made on said videos. He doesn't actually say yes they can be monetized. Although not having permission doesn't stop a bunch of new youtube users from cashing in on monetizing.

I'm just trying to do this the right way and with permission.

Edited by Koniving, 08 February 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#7 Selgald

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

Support said, make Videos an publish them = yes, montezie them = no

So i would make it so, for small youtube users is a "strike" deadly

#8 Failcube

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 65 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

I was told no monetization either and we've posted 25 videos, recorder another 25 still not uploaded.

For funsies, check out our goofy Large Laser Stalker trio:
http://youtu.be/3o37eWeWSuM

#9 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

Let me be _very_ clear, regardless of what support says as long as it's your footage, you can do as you please as long as you don't:
  • With the footage suggest that Piranha Games Inc, Infinite Game Publishing, MechWarrior brand supports, endorses or otherwise is associated with you and/or your brand.
  • You can monetize any footage that you film _yourself_, using other peoples footage or any of our promotional material would prohibit you from monetizing your video.
  • As always refer to a lawyer when dealing with money, MechWarrior Online's forums are not lawyers. :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users