Poptarts!

343 replies to this topic

#81 von Pilsner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostProtection, on 07 February 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

You guys run such boring designs. And no wonder they are getting plucked out of the air with those fragile XL engines.

Try out something like this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...438b725fc50fa92

Is one JJ enough for that beast?

#82 Mongoose Trueborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 742 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

View Postvon Pilsner, on 07 February 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

Not really....This is what I use. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8fbd3a55a0b41b5

#83 Protection

• 1,754 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

View Postvon Pilsner, on 07 February 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

We found that it is.

Multiple jump jets don't really give much more thrust, just a little more hang time. The change to jump-jets in the last patch made one JJ builds quite viable again.

edit: But Mongoose's build works well too, I'd imagine.

Edited by Protection, 07 February 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#84 Kylere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

I prefer brown sugar and cinnamon. But, in a pinch chocolate will do.

Unless you are talking about singers who cannot sing.

#85 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostTice Daurus, on 07 February 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

^THIS. Sun-Tzu's Art of War says (and I'm probably paraphrasing it and getting the wording wrong) that a battle should not be fought on the enemy's terms. Always get the enemy to battle you on your terms, never the enemy's. The trick is to force them to come to you and stay hidden in cover as much as possible as you try to use the cover to approach and get closer to them to close the battle. Then getting close, use close range weaponry to take them down and focus fire on them.

Using these tactics will help you greatly.

Sun Tzu didnt have LRMs and TAG...

Couple semi-dedicated LRM mechs with a TAG Light (ECM not required). Wait for the Light to flank their line, park itself 700m away, behind them skirting a hill and merrily mark one at a time and watch them scatter as the LRMs rain down on their exposed position.

#86 DrBlue62

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

View PostProtection, on 07 February 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

You guys run such boring designs. And no wonder they are getting plucked out of the air with those fragile XL engines.

Try out something like this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...438b725fc50fa92

Aside from having the damage all converge, that looks a lot more fragile and generally worse than the XL 'Phracts.

#87 Zylo

• 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostKylere, on 07 February 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

I prefer brown sugar and cinnamon. But, in a pinch chocolate will do.

S'mores poptarts are best poptarts.

#88 Mongoose Trueborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 742 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostDrxAbstract, on 07 February 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

Couple semi-dedicated LRM mechs with a TAG Light (ECM not required). Wait for the Light to flank their line, park itself 700m away, behind them skirting a hill and merrily mark one at a time and watch them scatter as the LRMs rain down on their exposed position.

Then the scouts face explodes when it gets hit by 12 ppcs and 6 gauss rounds.

#89 Jyi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

View PostDrxAbstract, on 07 February 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

Good luck with that when your light is being hunted by 2 Ravens.

#90 Kylere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

View PostZylo, on 07 February 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

S'mores poptarts are best poptarts.

'They are too sweet

#91 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostJyi, on 07 February 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

Good luck with that when your light is being hunted by 2 Ravens.

The Light reaches the other side without being detected by your 2 Ravens, your forces are clueless...

My hypothetical kicks your hypothetical's ***.

#92 Beo Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 739 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationHalsey, NE

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

View PostJokerVictor, on 07 February 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

So in one fell swoop, we now have a new terror on the battlefield. With jump jets not sucking anymore, and PPC's finally being viable, I've seen a couple teams taking advantage and building a major powerhouse CTF-3D build. (you know who you are)

This is my best guess of it: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...914a66e722b3e00

Obviously, there's going to be some variance between engine/armor/# of JJ's and the like but this is the basic idea. Point to note, I wasn't able to make what I would consider a viable build out of this loadout without an XL.

Now, to the point: in the hands of a skilled pilot, this thing is an absolute terror. Particularly if it's used by several skilled pilots. These things sitting on a ridgeline, poptarting with the JJ's, are damn near unapproachable. You may be able to close up front, but you'll likely take too much damage on the approach to win the fight up-close. Me and and my group went up against 2 teams using this in the past couple days (faced one of them twice), and we lost all three matches. Comes down to us being tactically unprepared for the most part, and that's the point of this thread. How do you beat a team of poptart snipers, tactically?

I have some suggestions, but beating a good crew running this is A LOT easier said than done. We got caught flatfooted everytime we faced this... either caught in the open, or in a poor position that we couldn't do any kind of maneuvering without them seeing it. And that, I think, is going to be the key here. Your team is going to have do something creative to knock them off their game, going shot for shot (unless you're running the same loadouts) is going to get you killed. I didn't realize they were likely all running XL's at the time, so I guess keep that in mind. I'm absolutely open to suggestions from anyone who's managed to beat them.

Two words...Jump Sniping. It's gives new meaning to the words death from above in this game.

#93 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

The Light reaches the other side without being detected by your 2 Ravens, your forces are clueless...

My hypothetical kicks your hypothetical's ***.

How exactly? Given the maps are tiny and the poptarts can see 90% of it?

Edited by Rippthrough, 07 February 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#94 Kristov Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

I use a Spider 5D with TAG to counter them, simply get around behind them, very easy to do in a Light even without ECM, and TAG them and let your LRM toting teammates do the rest.

Oh..you don't have any LRM toting teammates? Hmm..yes..then in that case, go cap em out while they play poptart, they'll turn to see what's going on and get steamrolled OR they'll ignore you and lose to a cap..or they might have a Light who'll come play ring around the base with you until 1 of you dies..

Or you could use terrain and cover to get your own big boys up close to them, use a Light to harrass them so your team can move up, or just sneak your big long rangers behind them and lite em up from behind with big guns at long range.

BTW, I've used all of the above myself against this threat for a while now, poptarting in MWO isn't new, people have been doing it since closed beta days.

#95 DrBlue62

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

To the people saying it's an easy counter. Run against DV8, record the results and post them in this thread regardless whether you win or lose.

I doubt it would be hard.

#96 RockWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • 125 posts
  • LocationEastern Canada

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Posted Image

Edited by RockWolf, 07 February 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#97 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

is this a complaint thread about this cataphract design? seriously a three gun sniper you can flank and smother like any long ranger? no it's not a problem for it's size and layout it's perfectly legit.

and people struggle with these? baffling!

additional - 35 alphas are not much trouble to an assault and ballistics struggle against light speed freaks.

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 07 February 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#98 Jyi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 07 February 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

I use a Spider 5D with TAG to counter them, simply get around behind them, very easy to do in a Light even without ECM, and TAG them and let your LRM toting teammates do the rest.

Oh..you don't have any LRM toting teammates? Hmm..yes..then in that case, go cap em out while they play poptart, they'll turn to see what's going on and get steamrolled OR they'll ignore you and lose to a cap..or they might have a Light who'll come play ring around the base with you until 1 of you dies..

Or you could use terrain and cover to get your own big boys up close to them, use a Light to harrass them so your team can move up, or just sneak your big long rangers behind them and lite em up from behind with big guns at long range.

BTW, I've used all of the above myself against this threat for a while now, poptarting in MWO isn't new, people have been doing it since closed beta days.

Kerenskys.. Kerenskys everywhere..

I just have one question: have you ever heard of condoms?

#99 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

View PostRippthrough, on 07 February 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

How exactly? Given the maps are tiny and the poptarts can see 90% of it?

Because you're not fighting a computer opponent that knows where you are at all times... And if i'm not mistaken, you still have 10% they cant. Where there's a percent, there's a way.

#100 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Meh, even the so called JJ speed boost doesn't make your 'Mech soar to max height that fast. MW:LL JJ's are still, by far, the best implementation of them in any title yet and they solved poptarting.

57 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 57 guests, 0 anonymous users