9227 replies to this topic

#2381 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

Well I told you guys my story of how I came to love Ponies. Just something I came across people saying they like it and that it's better then you would think is what got me to say sure why not give it a shot. All the MLP meme's probably influenced me to take a look sense they are funny as hell as well. After watching a few episode I decided to join the herd. Even my brothers decided to watch a few episode just to see for him self. He says he doesn't care for it but I know deep down he is a Bronie. Even his Marine recruiter called him a "Purple Unicorn". Yes I know the true definition of being called a Purple Unicorn but damn it, its fun calling him Twilight Sparkle!!

#2382 William Petersen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

View PostWatchit, on 29 April 2012 - 08:30 PM, said:

p.s. I know everyone was thinking it...

Posted Image

I was, I so totally, totally was. I almost lost it with the little twinkle at the end.

View PostCoralld, on 30 April 2012 - 08:38 AM, said:

If you are trying to escape MLP then why do you eventually come to the Ponie thread? How is getting your PC fixed going to change this? The only thing I can think of is that you will be able to do other stuff but at the same time use your fixed PC and jump back into this Ponie party. So other then that I got nothing.

Because he's a troll? Pretty sure that covers it.

View PostAdridos, on 30 April 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

I look here only because I spend a lot of time waiting to read something about BT/MW:O and when nothing else is available, I look here.
I have nothing against the show itself, I just want to fight against the spam of it. <_<

You're not 'fighting against the spam of it'. You're not a mod, you have no such powers, authority, or ability, and even so, it would not require your posting here. We stay here in our thread. If you find people prolifically posting ponies elsewhere, go there, post there, and report those posts. If anything, you're *adding* to the 'pony spam' by posting in the pony thread. Which leads me to conclude (in addition to your own post a couple deca-pages ago which you have now deleted) that you are, in fact, just a troll.

View PostPatrio Sioux Daltum, on 30 April 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

they turned a perfectly likeable fellow, Discord, to stone. For no good reason, I might add.

Seriously? No good reason? Altering the very fabric of exisence and order is "no good reason"? O.o So I take it if some supernatural being decided to turn your insides to cake, and have you sneeze petroleum, and gave you your own personal storm cloud that followed you around and rained on you 24/7 that'd be just fine. =P

EDIT: Since we're sharing pony stories, mine was the typical case of curiosity. I'd heard a bit about them, saw them here and there. I didn't really hate them or their fans, I was just a little confused. Eventually my curiosity would not be denied. I watched the first season. By the Winter Wrap Up (or was it Suited For Succss?) there was no going back. :P

Edited by William Petersen, 30 April 2012 - 01:42 PM.

#2383 Patrio Sioux Daltum

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

View PostWilliam Petersen, on 30 April 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

Seriously? No good reason? Altering the very fabric of exisence and order is "no good reason"? O.o So I take it if some supernatural being decided to turn your insides to cake, and have you sneeze petroleum, and gave you your own personal storm cloud that followed you around and rained on you 24/7 that'd be just fine. =P

Discord was a perfectly fine fellow that I liked enormously. If they thought his ideas were bad, then they're lucky they haven't seen what others might do.
I mean, sneezing petrol is mostly preferable to death by neutron bomb, right?

Edited by Patrio Sioux Daltum, 30 April 2012 - 03:06 PM.

#2384 Sporkosophy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostKristof Bowen, on 30 April 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

Pony in a folder...

Posted Image

I'm told there's a pony in this, but I can't see it.

Posted Image

As to all this whambulance going on about that Capellan guy [Do they still have a country?], if you think he's trolling, report as such and move on, otherwise you'd just be doing what a troll wants should that be what he is.

Posted Image

#2385 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

Can't believe I've ventured back into this thread, but Gabe Newell "My Little Pony" fan.

http://www.businessw...bosses-at-valve

Page 2, bottom of the article.

Cheers.

#2386 Sporkosophy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

That's been out for weeks now I think. You're too slow old man.

#2387 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

The Article?

It was posted Friday.

Or that Gabe Newell is a Pony fan? Hadn't caught that.

Cheers.

#2388 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

Are you guys still dignifying Adridos' trolling with responses?

C'mon guys; what's the number one rule of forums trolls? DON'T FEED THE TROLLS

#2389 Sporkosophy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

View PostHelmer, on 30 April 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

The Article?

It was posted Friday.

Or that Gabe Newell is a Pony fan? Hadn't caught that.

Cheers.

That he was a fan.

View PostCatamount, on 30 April 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

Are you guys still dignifying Adridos' trolling with responses?

C'mon guys; what's the number one rule of forums trolls? DON'T FEED THE TROLLS

I said that.

Posted Image

#2390 Xaoc

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

View PostAresye, on 15 November 2011 - 06:22 PM, said:

You assume we are trolls?

We hate trolls, however many people find the concept of men embracing cute and cuddly things as a threat, and react defensively, mostly with troll-like behavior. It goes against everything they thought they knew growing up (pink is girly, rainbows are ***, and Axe body spray will turn me into a chick magnet). Bronies are a direct offense against that mentality of thinking, which is promoted by things such as, "the man code," or (as stated above) media and advertising.

You've grown up thinking a certain way, and those that go against your viewpoints and the viewpoints of the socially accepted standard, are public enemy #1.

Let me also point out this method of thinking is completely moronic. You and so many others close yourselves out to things you may enjoy simply because of stereotypes and prejudices you've built up since your middle school days. Think about it! Where does it state what makes a man manly, or non-manly? I know the bible doesn't say pink is girly. Face the facts. You are surrounded by body-building ads that want you to buy their supplement so you get ripped. You watch football on TV when the alcohol commercials show men engaging in "manly stuff." Then of course you and your friends probably read the man code too, further pushing you into a state of disillusion.

You might be surprised many bronies have adopted what I call, "the fight club mentality." You aren't what you wear, you aren't what car you drive, you aren't your f***ing khakis. We're the all singing, all dancing crap of the world.

Simply put, watching a cartoon show (I'm not going to say girly because that's based on the stereotypes set forth above) does not dictate who you are, or what you do.

I myself fly in military helicopters for a living. I am a crew chief that instructs junior crewmen. I am a NATOPS instructor, ensuring our squadron adheres to the mandated training and requalification of all pilots and aircrewmen. I work closely with the commanding officer to ensure his squadron isn't doing anything they shouldn't.

I am also a rescue swimmer, and last year was deployed from the helicopter to assist in the rescuing of 8 mariners who's boat caught fire, at night, in the open sea.
Video:
News Article: http://wireupdate.co...he-arabian-sea/

My parents are very proud of me.

There's also 3 other bronies at my squadron, and another 8-10 coworkers enjoy the parodies. One of those bronies got his first rescue while he was off duty, and helped save 2 girls who were drowning in a rip current that pulled them out to sea. My pilots know I love ponies. All my coworkers know I love ponies, and those that don't like it, just simply don't like the show. There's absolutely no prejudice or stereotypical thinking when it comes to it. Nobody makes fun of the fact I enjoy ponies in my off time Posted Image

So ease the tension. We're not forcing you to watch the show. All we ask is that you give it a try, and keep an open mind while you do it, without fear, and without prejudice. Who knows? You may actually enjoy it, but why close yourself off to something you've never tried. If I did that, I'd have never become a licensed skydiver.

Hugs?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2391 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

I had to share this with you guys when I found it, it was just to epic to keep to my self.
Posted Image

#2392 Watchit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Wow, you really dug that one up Xaoc <_<

#2393 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

View PostSporkosophy, on 30 April 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

Posted Image

...time for a Kill Bill Pony meme.
"For ridiculing you earlier, I apologize."

(too lazy to get on gimp and make the thing)

#2394 SquareSphere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

ok maybe RD just dropped a few notches in my book,... she's a "clanner" ^_^

Posted Image

#2395 LincolnSmash

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

Well, if MLP is good enough for the 854th richest man in the world and one of the few people doing video-game development and community fostering right...

#2396 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

View PostWatchit, on 30 April 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

Wow, you really dug that one up Xaoc ;)

Back when I was a little bit meaner. I'll have to say, almost a full year of pony has really made me less uptight ^_^

#2397 Kraktzor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

Yeah, I'll admit it. When I found out one of my friends was a Brony I made fun of him mercilessly (he didn't even know of the term Brony until I started calling him that). He even tricked me and a couple other friends into attending a "Brony Panel" at the local anime convention (we got him back later in pantball). But one day (and after listenning to the stories of the people during that above panel), I was at his place when his girlfriend suggested we watch an episode, just to see what I thought. I shrugged and agreed to humor them so they would at least stop bugging me about it.
So we watching the pilot episodes (Season 1, episodes 1+2).
I nodded and saw how they could like it...but by the time I got home I was curious (it seemed pretty interesting if a bit silly). I realized I was a brony right after my third time listenning to the Winter Wrap-Up song and actually singing along ( normally i HATE musical numbers in shows).
I can see why people like it (I do), but I understand why people wouldn't like it, its just not for them.
...and if I knew how to put pictures or videos on these forums I would have something appropriately Pony related to put here ^_^
...sadly I do not... ;)

#2398 Watchit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:24 AM

View PostKraktzor, on 30 April 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

...and if I knew how to put pictures or videos on these forums I would have something appropriately Pony related to put here ^_^
...sadly I do not... ;)

Video's kinda weird, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt :ph34r:

As for pictures, right click the image you want to use, and select "copy image url", then click the little portrait button on the comment editor bar, and then paste the image url into the dialog box that pops up. Bam image.

Posted Image

though be advised a image url copied directly from google images doesn't work, you have to actually open the site hosting the image and copy the url from there.

#2399 Hylius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 265 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:43 AM

View PostPatrio Sioux Daltum, on 30 April 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

I can't lie, I almost became a brony. Very nearly there; I had watched five or so episodes. Some were alright. I think that was a few months ago. Heck, back at another forum I'm a regular at, Nationstates, the bronies have a stranglehold on nearly a quarter of the forums, which is a lot. And I regularly browsed their topics.
Then I stumbled upon the brony Nazis. That's what snapped me back, because I knew I could never associate with that crap.

If you're going to dislike something purely on stuff the fandom creates, you might as well give up on everything honestly. Every fandom has some weird people that make stuff like that or far worse. The more popular it is, the more content of such is generated (heck, I wouldn't be surprised if a good portion of it was made by people who aren't fans.) The MLP fandom is no different than anything else in this regard.

#2400 Applejack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 523 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Well, with the bronies, you have those who are purely fans of MLP:FiM and the things that they do, like watch the show, and maybe partake in a couple in-jokes with their brony friends. Then you have the brony community and it's various sects, from which you can practically forge an identity. The brony community is huge. Any sizable or historically influential minority has some representation in the community, and they are not always going to match your morals, just like real life. Love and tolerate all the same, I'd say.

It's gone beyond just "fandom" because it is so organized...

Edited by Applejack, 01 May 2012 - 11:56 AM.

68 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 68 guests, 0 anonymous users