Posted Image
no one expects the equestrian inquisition

#3223 Zylo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

View PostSesambrot, on 03 June 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:

However, for the love of Cellestia and all things pony, stop pestering me with recruitment-messages or I swear I'm going to report it!
I jokingly replied to the first one, straight out deleted the second, and now I just got the third...
If I had any intention to join a pony-merc-unit, or any merc-unit for that matter, I would have done so long ago! We obviously enjoy the same things, but let me make one thing clear;
Should I ever decide to join a pony-merc-unit, it's not going to be the EQRG, because being that pushy is even more annoying than reading all the trollposts in this topic!

In all the games I have played over the years I have found it often ends up a bad experience joining a group that feels the need to spam recruit people. I'm sure there will be plenty of available recruits who will decide on their own which pony based unit they are interested in joining. In my case I joined ELPMC because I liked what I saw in the group and never received any sort of recruiting PM from them.

Don't worry too much about recruiting though, if you ever decide to join a merc group pick a group that will be fun for you, pony based or not. I suspect not many things would be worse in game than joining a merc group that isn't a good fit and ends up being no fun at all.

#3224 LincolnSmash

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

View PostApplejack, on 02 June 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

You're from Japan and you say that?

Freaking

JAPAN

wow

Actually, in Japan, anyone who watches anime above age, like, 12-15 is considered weird. And anyone who considers themselves a "gamer" is also labelled as immature or childish. It's why when coworkers ask eachother what they do in their free time it's often "golf" or "gardening", which are sometimes lies to hide what they really enjoy. The only real socially acceptable ways to "geek out" are playing casual games on your DS/phone or reading manga on the train.

So literally everybody who isn't a teenager on this forum, regardless of what subforum they frequent, would be considered a "degenerate manchild" by Japanese society, as Der Komissar would put it (and I really hope his name isn't a 40k reference either, because man the irony of a 40k fan making comments about manchildren in other fanbases ;) ).

#3225 Applejack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 523 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

Well, my point was Japan is weird, but w/e

That I did figure before, but good information nonetheless, sir

Edited by Applejack, 03 June 2012 - 11:01 AM.

#3226 Fabe

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostLincolnSmash, on 03 June 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

Actually, in Japan, anyone who watches anime above age, like, 12-15 is considered weird. And anyone who considers themselves a "gamer" is also labelled as immature or childish. It's why when coworkers ask eachother what they do in their free time it's often "golf" or "gardening", which are sometimes lies to hide what they really enjoy. The only real socially acceptable ways to "geek out" are playing casual games on your DS/phone or reading manga on the train.

So literally everybody who isn't a teenager on this forum, regardless of what subforum they frequent, would be considered a "degenerate manchild" by Japanese society, as Der Komissar would put it (and I really hope his name isn't a 40k reference either, because man the irony of a 40k fan making comments about manchildren in other fanbases ;) ).

Well actually there are some anime/manga meant for adult such as 'BlackJack' and 'Master Keaton' but but yeah if you're over 15 and you're watching 'Naruto' then you'll be looked at as a "Manchild" in Japan

#3227 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

Eh, I enjoy Marimite, I'd definitely be weird in Japan. xD
Still, would someone watching Josei (if female) or Seinen (if male) be considered weird?
Or is that again only limited to manga/light novels on the train?

#3228 BaronVonVoodoo

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationTraveler

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

THIS TOPIC MUST BE PURGED WITH GLORIOUS FLAMERS AT CLOSE PROXIMITY!

#3229 Majorfatboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 623 posts
  • LocationBound and gagged on The Island

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

View PostBaronVonVoodoo, on 03 June 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

Posted Image

#3230 ThunderousWizard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

Posted Image

#3231 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

View PostBaronVonVoodoo, on 03 June 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

Posted Image

#3232 Sporkosophy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

You can't post from funnyjunk.

#3233 Spite Malice

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

We have party flamers. They're better.Posted Image

#3234 SquareSphere

• 1,656 posts
  • LocationIn your clouds, stealing your thunder

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

this totally cracked me up.

Posted Image

Edited by SquareSphere, 03 June 2012 - 05:08 PM.

#3235 Souske Sagara

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationParkland, WA

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

Posted Image

#3236 Jack OG

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:55 PM

View PostAresye, on 02 June 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

Fun little factoid:
The Navy's Special Operations include SEALs, SWCC, EOD, Diver, and SARS (Search and Rescue Swimmers)

So essentially, considering a couple of my fellow swimmers enjoy the show as well, I'm pretty comfortable saying that military SPECOPS enjoy ponies too :D

Heyo! USAF AFSOC member here!

Posted Image

Edited by Jack OG, 03 June 2012 - 06:56 PM.

#3237 Hollister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 321 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

Funny that Japan has some of the most extreme geeks in the world. Japanese otaku are known for there sick and twisted crap that they do, which gives alot of the other people who are not so extreme a bad reputation.

any how... has this been posted yet?

Edited by Hollister, 03 June 2012 - 07:33 PM.

#3238 DarthLopez

• PipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 20 posts
  • LocationMichigan, US

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

So literally everybody who isn't a teenager on this forum, regardless of what subforum they frequent, would be considered a "degenerate manchild" by Japanese society, as Der Komissar would put it (and I really hope his name isn't a 40k reference either, because man the irony of a 40k fan making comments about manchildren in other fanbases :D ).

View PostHollister, on 03 June 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

Funny that Japan has some of the most extreme geeks in the world. Japanese otaku are known for there sick and twisted crap that they do, which gives alot of the other people who are not so extreme a bad reputation.

from what i understand the Japanese are a very culturally repressed people, unfortunately because they are so culturally repressed they're cultural extremes occur more often. Which is why we/us here on this continent hear all those crazy things about the japanese. That's how i've always heard it put.

Of course it doesn't help that Game companies like nintendo and sony are confirmed to be immensely popular there, perhaps when we say gamer what we mean is the western concept of gamer/gaming is not so accepted there, after all our games don't do very good in japan. They also host the Tokyo Gameshow don't they? So it can't be that taboo to be a gamer in Japan if they host one of the biggest and increasingly important gaming conventions in the world. And their geeks do tend to be very public about being geeks from the stuff i've seen.

just my 2 cents on it, but with respect to ponies, here in the US i think the pony phenomena is a result of changing cultural values to some extent and the small amounts of public friction between media outlets and the brony community at times (as well as other groups/individuals) is a result of an evolving concept of gender. But i'm not a sociologist or psychologist so i have no authority on the matter. Just my perspective. OH and it's like the only good cartoon on TV any more....

#3239 Tanki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

Ya. :D

#3240 Jaggar Boo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 103 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:27 PM