9227 replies to this topic

#3941 Spiralcrisis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 207 posts
  • LocationI'm not sure I want to know.

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:37 AM

I'm not a brony, I just come to laugh at the funny pictures and bad trolling attempts. ^_^

#3942 Souske Sagara

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationParkland, WA

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:42 AM

View PostSpiralcrisis, on 10 June 2012 - 05:37 AM, said:

I'm not a brony, I just come to laugh at the funny pictures and bad trolling attempts. ^_^

Welcome friend.
Posted Image

#3943 Brezals

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:58 AM

#3944 Sweetie Bot

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:09 AM

I don't know if this has been posted, but it always makes me laugh.

#3945 Samaritan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:10 AM

Hon. Mechwarriors;

The dichotomy of Pony and Battlemech is funny, entertainment. These pictures in the pony thread caught my attention on a website dedicated to my favored martial pass time, Battletech. The music in the embedded videos caught my attention as I plowed my way through the thread. Naturally I looked into the show itself and found it to be entertaining. In the course of all of this, I could not help but notice napalm drenched trolls raiding the off topic pony corral. I also noticed the counter productive mockery and name calling. I think that this sort of behavior is actually a competitive form of entertainment between the trolls and bronies. Unfortunately these flare ups can not help but draw unwelcome attention in the form of Moderator intervention. This is a pernicious aspect of the fandom and might easily become a fatiguing dread for forum staff here and now, as well as elsewhere. Please allow me to share with you a system of thinking that may mitigate this problem for the community here and elsewhere.

The root of the difficulty is arrogance. The arrogance of the sin nature in man has an area of weakness in which overt immoral degeneracy is observed. Arrogance also has a sphere of strength known as moral degeneracy as well, a self righteous holy than thou attitude if you will. Trolling and the judgmental mocking of trolls are small examples of how both sides can express this arrogant system of thinking. Legalistic and antinomian arrogance have a natural antagonism which impels the flamey troll raids and brony mockery of the this behavior. Riding herd on this very human and very tiring business can wear out one's welcome as far as the moderators are concerned. The solution best suited to limiting the impact of this is to adopt another system of thinking... humility.

Humility is teachable. The humble person is better adjusted to objective reality. Humility recognizes the limitations of flawed man, and does not seek the inordinate lusts for approbation, recognition, and vengeance. Humility responds and does not react, because the humble man knows he is likely not in possession of all the facts in the first clench of conflict found in the flamey pony threads. As you can see, humility is a system of thinking, the antithesis of arrogance. A respect for one's integrity motivates thinking in the system of humility.

A person who is not humble and has not placed personal integrity as the first priority in his thinking is going to be unable to learn from life efficiently and will be the greatest source of misery in his life. The humble person seeking integrity above all else can treat the unlovely and miserable problem people in his life with impersonal love. Impersonal love does not retaliate, or even seek to vindicate one self in interpersonal conflicts. Impersonal love recognizes the people are people, not their behavior, and can treat them well out of respect for their own integrity. This my friends is a problem solving device you can ill afford to do without if your going to be content with friends and family, let alone the rest of humanity. Now I have presented this Christian philosophy outside of the context of a personal love for Jesus Christ so that everyone here could think about the problem and the solution proposed without antagonizing anyone. This system is easier to appropriate when you have the reassurance that the plan of Jesus Christ can incorporate the good and the bad events of your life in his highest and best for you. For the unbeliever, your mileage may vary.

Thank you for hearing out my proposal for mitigating the Brony Thread Wars. I hope this helps, but for those of you who are unconvinced you can avoid all the unpleasantness with plan B.

Posted Image

Respectfully

Samaritan

#3946 KelethDragon

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

Due to a dare, and drunken weekend shenanigans.

I watched all of MLP on Saturday.

The worst part is? I can describe it works exactly like all those flow charts say.

See the opening. Hurrrrg and cringe thinking "Oh god this is gonna be awful"

3 episodes in I'm like "... This seems like the old disney shows I seen as a kid.. like Disney's Gummi bears"

I failed at resisting Ponies.

#3947 Brezals

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

View PostDrathorin, on 10 June 2012 - 07:14 AM, said:

Due to a dare, and drunken weekend shenanigans.

I watched all of MLP on Saturday.

The worst part is? I can describe it works exactly like all those flow charts say.

See the opening. Hurrrrg and cringe thinking "Oh god this is gonna be awful"

3 episodes in I'm like "... This seems like the old disney shows I seen as a kid.. like Disney's Gummi bears"

I failed at resisting Ponies.

Welcome to the herd man ^_^

#3948 Fabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

View PostSpiralcrisis, on 10 June 2012 - 05:37 AM, said:

That's partly how I got started. Some time ago before I started to lurk in this thread A Non-Brony Friend showed me this video

What amused me wasn't the 'Guile's theme goes with everything' joke but the original slapstick humor,to be honest I wasn't expecting to see that from a show la MLP show. So after I signed up on the site it wasn't long before I found my way here and started lurking,the more I read the more curious I got. How could a children's cartoon about pink ponies get such a reaction out of people both positive and negative? so one day I watched a random episode, "Booster Busters" and saw that the humor I saw in that short clip was apparently par for the course. Many months went by with out me watching any Ponies but I continued to lurk here making the rare post once in awhile . Long story short I now have my DVR box set up to record the show on Monday,Friday and Sunday. So I guess I am technically now a Brony

#3949 Brezals

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

http://circuitfry.tu...eering-for-1000

WAT?

#3950 ThunderousWizard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

Posted Image

#3951 Sesambrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

View PostSamaritan, on 10 June 2012 - 06:10 AM, said:

Look, I've read your whole post, and many other posts of yours...
I certainly don't wanna hate on you, heck I respect your believes, I respect your oppinions and I respect the fact that you want to share it. I know I shouldn't have a problem with you sharing all that, I'm not really sure if I do though, at the very least let me say I don't really know how to deal with it.
Please don't see this as a personal insult/attack, it's not meant that way!
Especially with regards to your last post, I wonder... ...what do you think I, or better we should do in such situations?
It's not that I really disagree with you, it's just that, most of what you say strikes me as something I have already heard before. Actually from people "like you"...
That may very well just be me, but many what you say now, has been said to me once before, quite a few years ago actually, when I was in a situation much worse than what the brony-community is currently experiencing. At the time, it seemed to me like that was the way to go, like that was the way out of my misery. However, soon I ran into the first problem...
That person had told the broad principle how to deal with the situation, but hasn't even given a hint on what exactly I could do...
What I think I understood back then, and I get the same impression from your post, is that there are basically to ways that are acceptable with the concept of humility. Either ignore them and try not to let it touch you, which seems hypocritical to me, and the general perception is that you're being arrogant for pretending to not care, which tends to only make it worse, or what seems acceptable try to reason with them.
From my own experience, let me tell you this; It is ******* impossible to ignore someone beating you up, reasoning with him even more so, because you will have trouble even speaking over the cries and tears of pain that not only come from physical violence, but also because you realize that you're alone, ******* alone and no one's going to help you! Where's that great advice for a situation like that?
Even if people are "just" mocking you, there are plenty of those who are so presistent that they are not gonna give up just because you ignore them, or because you try to argue with them. They always find a way to get to you, even if that means resorting to simple violence.

I know I'm getting off topic here, but where is your great humility-solution to that?
At some point back then I had to realize that it was not going to get better, if I let people treat me like that!
If they don't have to fear any concequences, they are not going to stop.
I needed to fight back, and it only got better when people realized they could burn themselves when messing with me.
Sadly enough, it took me almost 3 years to come to that conclusion, but by then I had suffered more than anyone should have!

Granted, the problem at hand is nothing compared to that, at least not on the internet.
And I'm not trying to encourage people to go out there and wage war against those trolls, I do realize it's gotta be a pain in the *** for the mods watching over this topic, but is that our fault?
Is it really arrogant of me to assume that I have the right to defend myself?

As for moderating this topic, we're not the source of this problem, and no matter what we do those people will come back, or at least others like them. As far as I'm concerned, as long as our posts don't get as offensive as the crap we have to deal with, I don't think anyone's being arogant.

I know most of what I said is pretty much off topic, and maybe I misunderstood your post completely and made myself look like a fool in the process, but as much as I would like to see the world work the way you're suggesting, you cannot sell that philosophy as the solution to all problems!
For a simple reason actually, it only takes one party to not accept it, and the whole thing is pointless.

As I've said, I've heard something like this before, and it has gotten me nowhere.
I respect your opinion, and what you believe in, but I also feel the need to say that to me, all of that are just empty words, they have no meaning to me, because my experience has tought me, that the world unfortunately doesn't work that way.
Maybe you think that sounds very bitter for someone my age and I'd have to agree, but that experience is a part of me, and something I will never be able to forget...
Maybe you think I shouldn't have commented if that's all I had to say, but I actually felt the need to share my oppinion, even if it's a grimm one...

Posted Image

I think there's not better picture to describe what it looked like inside of me back then, and still does if I think too much about it...

Sorry for sharing my sad little story, and for getting so worked up about it...

#3952 ThunderousWizard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3953 Samaritan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

Hon. Sesambrot;

Thank you and don't appologise! I am not advocating that any one take abuse. In a physical confrontation the police and personal fire arms are to be used to restrain violent crimality. In a forum, trolling is easily taken care of by the report button and the moderating "police". The provocation to anger that trolls represent places the custody for your happiness in thier hands. There are moderators and civil courts available for the redress of your grieviences in the cyber or brick and mortar world respectively. Never fail to defend you self from criminal behavior. You might be willing to let it go, but the criminal will likely do it again to someone else if the law does not deal with him. When I spoke of moral degeneracy I was referring to the type of thinking that encouraged you to ignore abuse. As you have discovered it was not the correct course of action. I try to be careful when posting because the two most devisive words in the history of man are "Jesus Christ", so I wrote my previous post in broad terms that could be of help to anyone regardless of thier faith.

I believe the following to be axiomatic; Mankind can be largely divided into two camps; A. We are randomly written A. I. prosecuting arbitrary moralities in a system of natural forces, or B. All of existence was made by and is sustained moment by moment by a creator to include mankind.

If B. is true, then there is the equivalent of a Supreme Court of Heaven in the omnisient thinking of the Creator. The thinking of this creator must be perfectly righteous because said Creator is in possession of all the facts, and has already passed the "Alone in the Dark for 1/2 of Eternity Test" without going mad. This means he is as much of a witness to anything that has happened in your life as you are And the principally wronged party to the wrongdoing in any given instance as the sustainer of all.

When you defend yourself from Criminal actions, and forgive civil social Faux Pauxs you are discharging your duty to both the State and your creator/sustainor. For anyone to "Get away with Murder" so to speak, would make the Creator an accessory to sin... and that is just absurd. To lust after a beautifull woman is the principal of adultery. To be angry or hate is the principal of murder. Both sides of the Brony Thread War can be safely said to be angry in many of the skirmishes. A Christian isn't ignoring sin commited against him, he is acknowledging the fact that Jesus Christ paid the penalty for all the sins of the world. A Christian is commanded to uphold the laws of the State, and self defense from criminality is encouraged by the State. In this case, report abuse to the moderators! If you do chose to post provacative pony in response to trolling, you will get more trolling and be liable to the Supreme Court of Heaven. By reviling and judging the troll you in effect force the Court to assign the damages assessed for the trolling to Your accounts for the principal of taking the law into your own hands in your judgement and in your provocations.

I appologise for the thread topic jump, but as this discussion may materially affect the incidence of flame posts and reports the moderators must face, I would ask that it be permited to stand.

If anyone would care to know more, private message me and I will be happy to answer in detail.

And now for a word from our sponsor...

Posted Image

Respectfully... and I really mean it <_<

Samaritan

#3954 ThunderousWizard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3955 DarthLopez

• PipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 20 posts
  • LocationMichigan, US

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

ya know sometimes i log in and there's 200 pages other times i log in and there are 194 i have no idea what exactly is going on here :/ ANYwho more ponies because we needs more with all these words (not that the words aren't good, just that we needs more ponies)

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#3956 Zylo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

View PostDarthLopez, on 10 June 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

ya know sometimes i log in and there's 200 pages other times i log in and there are 194 i have no idea what exactly is going on here :/ ANYwho more ponies because we needs more with all these words (not that the words aren't good, just that we needs more ponies)

This is due to deleted posts not showing when you aren't signed in. If the mods were to delete some posts this topic might lose a page when viewed by players not signed in, while those of us who are signed in would see the message indicating a deleted post but the number of pages would remain the same.

#3957 Samaritan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

Hon. Mechwarriors;

My Pinkie Pie Siesmograph recorded a 6.2 S wave ground burst with the latest game supplement for our favorite game.

Posted Image

Tada! Now that we are cannon, let's petition for a new MWO chassis, the Apple Jack.... no wait that's patlabor <_<

Derpfully

Samaritan

#3958 DarthLopez

• PipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 20 posts
  • LocationMichigan, US

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

View PostZylo, on 10 June 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

This is due to deleted posts not showing when you aren't signed in. If the mods were to delete some posts this topic might lose a page when viewed by players not signed in, while those of us who are signed in would see the message indicating a deleted post but the number of pages would remain the same.

thank you sir for explaining that this is the first forum i've been too where that happens. Normally deleted posts are just deleted for everyone on my usual forums. Anywho some RD tumblrs for anyone who is interested
Cannon Dash
Fan Made art work and such (language warning just incase people are avoiding such words)

Edited by DarthLopez, 10 June 2012 - 11:24 AM.

#3959 yngvef

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationThe planet Bardu

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

Just trying out if I remember how to post ponies...:

Posted Image

#3960 Sesambrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

View Postyngvef, on 10 June 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

Just trying out if I remember how to post ponies...:

Posted Image

looks like it... <_<

Posted Image

EDIT:
What I was trying to say earlier, aside of everything else I said, is that we should be allowed to show those trolls the door ourselves as long as we're not being offensive, which I think we can kinda agree on...
As long as we don't go to their level and insult people, I don't think we should have to answer to anyone.
That has only happened very rarely anyway actually.
As for our responses creating only more trolling, I doubt that...
Most of them come in here only to hate on us/ponies/bronies, and then leave for good so any response we give usually doesn't have any effect, which doesn't mean we should act like dicks, but that's not what this all is about in the first palce...

Edited by Sesambrot, 10 June 2012 - 11:52 AM.

43 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 43 guests, 0 anonymous users