#5081 CandidAstrius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

View PostSamaritan, on 08 July 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

Hon. Mechwarriors;

Here is an article you may find of interest. It is written by Lauren Faust. This should help you get into the heads and purpose of MLP characters for any art or stories you may have in mind.

http://msmagazine.co...ony-a-rebuttal/

Posted Image

This picture is from the article and is L. Fausts own handiwork.

Enjoy Folks

Samaritan

Initially i was merely going to post all praise the Word of Faust...but then i remembered something...the Word of Blake...after i did a little reading to refresh myself on them, i realized, given the near fanatical nature of some of our fellow bronies, this would make an excellent MLP based merc corp, which, i, having zero experience, time for, and motivation... won't be making anytime soon, but at least it gave me the idea for my signature.

#5082 Samaritan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

Hon. CandidAstrius;

That is hilarious. Don't forget the Hiel Hoofs and Femineighzy iconography to go with it :), otherwise you'll be fighting for the right to use your own ideas some day.

Posted Image

Derpfully

Samaritan

#5083 SlayerWill

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationUSA Utah

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

You just cant go wrong with, Mechs, Ponies, magic and friendship and yes somehow im a brony.

#5084 Sporkosophy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

View PostSamaritan, on 08 July 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

Hon. Sporkosophy;

That was a fine rebutal, and I will accept that given the diffences inherrent to so many people over so many years now able to write one another at a moments notice with this wonderful Internet that you are in fact correct. You are a fine champion of accuracy and I appreciate your gallantry and proofs.
  • Comprehend that changes in language (including new words, constructions, or usages) are a normal and inevitable part of the language's evolution.
This relevant quote concerning the science of linguistics should relieve any concerns you may have about my nefarious plot to assuage my sense of self at anyone else's expense I hope. Technical language exists in every field and Theology is no exception. Try reading any given body of law for yourself and then going to court to win your case, the technical defferences in legal language alone will surely dissapoint you.

But as you say, this is an off topic jettisoned pony corral thread. The Pony discussion is not encouraged anywhere else in the mwo community, but given the tollerant nature of the community and the Off Topic thread venue, our few words on the subject should not upset anyone... Especially given our prodigious efforts to post pony and pony related accessories.

You're right that such does occur regularly within the vernacular language; but you can't interchange technical and vernacular without creating confusion as to your reference. Look to the confusion between the scientific use of theory and the vernacular use. Besides, who'd actually waste time learning the technical language for a dead field of study? Way to take my point out of context with your metaphor though.

As to the tolerance nonsense, everything has limits.

#5085 Samaritan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

Hon. Mechwarriors;

My Little Ponies Friendship is Magic, in the words of Faust in her Ms Magazine article stemed from her own RPG save the world mentality with her pony and doll collections as a child. There are willfully incorporated elements of her feminism advocacy twined within the show she created. When Hasbro limited her efforts to incorporate males as often as a functional society in her estimation would require, she wound up with a pony population that, while overwhelmingly female, lacked the sexual dimorphism to register as such to the casual viewer. Costuming and behaviorial cues took up greater meaning in the process for the viewer.

Faust wanted to portray real normal women who could accomplish great things without necessarily needing to be cookie cutter perfect. These characters worked well in teams without surrendering thier individuality. This produced some rather heroic and manly actions in an almost DND party dynamic with mature/maturing ballanced people. The Mane Six were depicted saving the world from criters you could find in a DND Monster Manual, but doing so with an emphasis on thinking and solving the problems, not just muscleing through them with superior force.

These gender equality themed roles taken on by the characters coupled with thier gender neutral pony bodies may be one of the reasons you have so many male adherants to the show. The maretriarchal society and the 6 to 1 skewed instances of mares to stalions camera time seen in the show has likely lent itself well to the other than heterosexual crowd as well. An interesting dynamic to say the least and one that goes to show that morality and heroism are not limited to traditional stereotypes.

One of the things that I noticed about the show was that for a program steeped in feminist ideals, it did not try unformly bash men in the process. You could find the occasional instance in which males were treated as capable and respectable too instead being constantly ridiculed, or chided as incompetent or stupid. That's fairly rare in the beligerant femenist realm. MLP FIM makes a point of encouraging girls to excelence and morality with out having to bash boys to do it. That coupled with gender blender roles in non sexually dimorphic pony bodies and you have a partial explanation for the marketing dynamics that inspired the advent of the brony fandom.

Posted Image

My two bits on the subject.

Respectfully

Samaritan

#5086 Samaritan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostProxus571, on 08 July 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

After further thought, I think it might be a bit unfair to the question (which is designed to be tough) to answer with none.

I do believe there is one pony who could ultimately end up leaving the cast, but at that point in time it would mean the end of the show as well.

That pony would be Twiliy. Now there is no reason other than this: Self Sacrifice. With the show beginning with her being forced upon a strange town with no real friends to speak of, what better way for the series to end than for her to put her own life on the line for her new friends. So if a pony must be cast out, let twily make the ultimate sacrifice and let her memory carry the rest of the town on into history.

Posted Image

Gah noooooo I'm sorry Twily, don't ... ungh...

For your terrible thought, I bring you a just chastisement for the error of your ways.

http://www.youtube.c...mmmqQ1uAGI&NR=1

#5087 CandidAstrius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

View PostSamaritan, on 08 July 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

For your terrible thought, I bring you a just chastisement for the error of your ways.

Idk, i had considered her too, before settling on a less direct approach, but my rational was more for the desire to leave a power vacuum for the return of The Great and Powerful Trixie!
Posted Image

Edited by CandidAstrius, 08 July 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#5088 Johannes Falkner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 442 posts
  • LocationZiliang

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

Could you just see the absolute mess that would be first big challenge for Trixie? Imagine another Ursa Minor...

#5089 Proxus571

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationPonyville

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

View PostSamaritan, on 08 July 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

Posted Image

It was a fair answer to the question! now between my posted sad twiliy and that video im gonna go cry myself to sleep for being a horrible person :'(

#5090 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

Posted Image
OOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

#5091 William Petersen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:33 PM

View PostProxus571, on 08 July 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

After further thought, I think it might be a bit unfair to the question (which is designed to be tough) to answer with none.

I do believe there is one pony who could ultimately end up leaving the cast, but at that point in time it would mean the end of the show as well.

That pony would be Twiliy. Now there is no reason other than this: Self Sacrifice. With the show beginning with her being forced upon a strange town with no real friends to speak of, what better way for the series to end than for her to put her own life on the line for her new friends. So if a pony must be cast out, let twily make the ultimate sacrifice and let her memory carry the rest of the town on into history.

http://denver.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw5491-1338666996310.gif

Gah noooooo I'm sorry Twily, don't ... ungh...

If they ever do that (to anypony, not just Twilight) I will personally hunt down whatever jerks made that decision...

...and ask them apologize. ::tears up::

Edited by William Petersen, 08 July 2012 - 10:42 PM.

#5092 Hollister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 321 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:51 PM

I couldnt stop laughing while watching this..

and the second one I didnt link corretly because of some of its contents.. its how im starting to feel about these haters..

http://www.youtube.c...A-lSdhy564&NR=1

#5093 Adm Awesome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:57 AM

FRIENDSHIP

#5094 William Petersen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:33 AM

You would be mistaken in that line of thought, Adm Awesome.

#5095 Adm Awesome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:26 AM

IS

#5096 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:37 AM

MAGIC

#5097 William Petersen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:49 AM

Perhaps you both should take a glance back at the posts in this thread by Garth and Paul themselves.

#5098 SNobleJr

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 75 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:25 AM

View PostAdm Awesome, on 09 July 2012 - 02:26 AM, said:

it says love/hate of pony, this looks a lot like love.

It says "Insults based on [...] love/not love of Ponies." (emphasis mine) are against the posting etiquette.

Now, I wonder, was this poor reading comprehension on your part, or willful misinterpretation to find an excuse to come in here and troll? In case of the former, well, it happens, but read more carefully next time. In case of the latter, I suggest you quickly admit your mistake and apologize; the mods have been known to swiftly scold or even banhammer trolls.

#5099 Wroargh

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:35 AM

I liek cake.

#5100 Schlifer

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:53 AM

http://www.firefallt....4914/page-1062

Long way to go, dont let haters hate! get to you.

Brony my self and part of it in the firefall community.

1060 pages and counting!

Posted Image

Edited by Schlifer, 09 July 2012 - 03:53 AM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users