9227 replies to this topic

#8901 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:01 AM

Oh and because I know I wasn't the only one thinking it...
Posted Image

#8902 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:42 AM

Posted Image

Oh, and the obligatory:

#8903 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:13 AM

I'm not yet sure, what I should think of this season finale.

Spoiler

#8904 Nathan Foxbane

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

View PostAdridos, on 10 May 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

Oh, and the obligatory:

Looks like Pinky missed a string pluck near the end there.

Edit: misses three. 0:46, 1:06, and 1:16.

Edited by Nathan Foxbane, 10 May 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#8905 Watchit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

SO YEAH. That final. Amazing.

spoiler just in case:
Spoiler

#8906 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

View PostWatchit, on 12 May 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

Spoiler

Posted Image

Spoiler

Oh, and...

Posted Image

...Totally how it happened for anyone who haven't gotten around to watching the finale. Yep'.
... H-Have some diabeetus, instead of thinking about this too much, okay? ;)

Posted Image

#8907 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

Well, ladies and gents...I have a shocking secret to tell people. The hero Raven was actually repurposed from what would have been the first quad Battlemech in Mechwarrior Online, ballistic hardpoints on the forward limbs, huge missile hardpoints in the torso- just like the eventual Raven redesign. Knowing my penchant for putting imagery into statements, I've acquired a picture of the cancelled prototype in all it's glory, and I'm sharing it with you, the Pony Thread. This way, it'll at least last long enough to spread before the mods get rid of it, and likely me.

Spoiler

Well, there you have it. A little bit of MWO history, just for the pony lovers.

Spoiler

#8908 Grimmrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:01 AM

View PostAdridos, on 03 May 2014 - 01:20 AM, said:

Posted Image
Posted Image

So, how hype are you for the last normal episode this season, guys?
Also, will Twilight get her key now, or will that be a thing for finale? What d'y'all think?

interresting
But they still get special Joysticks, since they would then either not reach the buttons or constantly also press these buttons.

Edited by Grimmrog, 14 May 2014 - 01:01 AM.

#8909 Nova Latios Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 606 posts
  • LocationAnother Galaxy

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:13 AM

I...like ponies...-sweet smile-

#8910 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

View PostNova Latios Storm, on 14 May 2014 - 05:13 AM, said:

I...like ponies...-sweet smile-

And ponies like you too. After all, friendship is magic, which also equals firepower, just look how effective premades are.

#8911 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:03 AM

Just in case you've missed out on something. ;)

Posted Image

#8912 Nova Latios Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 606 posts
  • LocationAnother Galaxy

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:06 AM

View PostCoralld, on 14 May 2014 - 08:19 PM, said:

And ponies like you too. After all, friendship is magic, which also equals firepower, just look how effective premades are.

Awwww thanks -smiles sweetly-

#8913 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

Hello bronies, I am in need of your assistance.

For my college English class I have to write an essay on a subculture, so I have chosen bronies as that subculture.
For this essay I need to have an interview with that subculture, and seeing as I really don’t know any bronies outside of MWO, I figured here would be just as a good place as anywhere. I’m supposed to interview one person but I don’t really care so I’m just going to post the questions for the interview and if you feel so inclined as to answer some of them that would be very helpful.

I also technically need to put a name of the person I’m interviewing, so just make something up that sounds like a legitimate name.

Okay questions are:

Why did you join this subculture?

What are your favorite aspects of this group?

What is the best thing about this subculture?

Are there any specific identifying markers that tell the world and/or each other that you belong to this subculture? (Why is this even a question really? Don’t answer it)

Why do you identify with these small magic horses?

Would you like the show if they were anime girls instead of ponies?

Do you think that this subculture is challenging traditional views of masculinity? That by admitting to liking a show originally intended for a younger audience shows the world that you don’t have to be an American football jackass to have masculinity?

(Okay fine some incentive, If you answer all of these I will watch Equestria Girls……….)

Edited by Mason West, 15 May 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#8914 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:41 PM

View PostMason West, on 15 May 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

I did it by accident!
By participating on these forums I came into contact with MLP:FiM. Some day, I had to much time and watched the pilot episodes. Not impressed I left the show alone. Then another day with to much time came along and the ponies were still strong and entertaining on the forums. So I watched another episode. Next thing I knew, I was halfway through the first season and totally captivated by the show.

They don't care much for male/female/age prejudice. As long as something is entertaining, there is no reason to be ashamed to watch a shows intended for little girls. Those are people who haven't lost their inner child.

It's one of the most creative I have ever encountered. The sheer amount and quality of the works the fans create is astounding.

Are there any specific identifying markers that tell the world and/or each other that you belong to this subculture? (Why is this even a question really? Don’t answer it)

Not that I know of!

I don't identify myself with them, I simply enjoy them.

Part of the fun of the show is, that addaption of everyday things and events into a world of horses. Changing the show into anime girls would cut away a part of the fun. Even the Equestria Girls movie kept that a big part of the character interaction.

Do you think that this subculture is challenging traditional views of masculinity? That by admitting to liking a show originally intended for a younger audience shows the world that you don’t have to be an American football jackass to have masculinity?

No, I don't believe so. For me it never was about masculinity. It's about growing up, without losing a part of yourself. As a child you are tolerant to almost anything (except maybe, cleaning up your own room and eating vegetables). Somehow most people lose that tolerance when they grow up. Grow up on the outside, stay a child on the inside. Enjoy the things for what they are, not for what they are supposed to be by popular prejudice.

(Okay fine some incentive, If you answer all of these I will watch Equestria Girls……….)

:)

#8915 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:32 AM

I also technically need to put a name of the person I’m interviewing, so just make something up that sounds like a legitimate name.
Derrick Whittet

Okay questions are:

You don't choose to join a subculture, you simply find yourself a part of it due to shared interest.

Its hard for me to separate these two questions so I'll answer them together. Creativity and openness. Due to the nature of the subject matter, there's substantially less elitism and assholishness - its hard to be the Alpha Geek when one loves little pink ponies.

No, because I see no need to advertise it. Not due to shame, mind you, I'm quite open about loving the show, but rather that I don't feel the need to advertise my involvement in any sub culture - such things, in my opinion, show a lack of character, a need to define ones self by the group one associates with. People are more than their interests.

I don't. Why would I? I merely enjoy the show.

Not nearly so much, no. The incongruity of the "pony" thing and how things are adapted to it is part of the charm. EG worked because they were still ponies, so you'd see real life adapted to pony life adapted to real life - a play on art imitating life imitating art if you will.

Perhaps, but it shouldn't. Ones interests do not define ones maturity nor gender.

You haven't already? Chop chop! Get to it! Its quite cute :)

#8916 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:15 AM

Hello bronies, I am in need of your assistance.

For my college English class I have to write an essay on a subculture, so I have chosen bronies as that subculture.
For this essay I need to have an interview with that subculture, and seeing as I really don’t know any bronies outside of MWO, I figured here would be just as a good place as anywhere. I’m supposed to interview one person but I don’t really care so I’m just going to post the questions for the interview and if you feel so inclined as to answer some of them that would be very helpful.

You could also try and post up the questionaire over at Eridani Light Pony's site. It's basically an extension of this thread's demographic, so as to have a bit more weight behind it (I mean, it is a research for college... the more, the merrier). :)

Oh, and sorry for not answering the questions myself, but it would probably throw a wrench in your statistics through the cultural difference on the more sociological questions from a CE/ex-Commie perspective. For instance, most people don't give a damn whether or not you watch the thing here and totally don't mind the girls' show prospect (I have yet to meet a guy, sporty or geeky type, who's had the slightest problem talking about PPG openly) as much as they view it with the prejudice MLP has developed in (this part of) Europe (i.e. a really crappy cartoon with toys that make 'Chinese-shop' stuff look like masterpieces in comparison).

Anyway, back to ponying! :P

Posted Image

Cel-shaded cartoon... it looks better than one would think such an inception scenario would, but I still vote for pastel horsies.
Posted Image

Edited by Adridos, 16 May 2014 - 04:15 AM.

#8917 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:20 AM

Okay questions are:

MENSA,it's not- but like others here, this thread is to blame. The imagery and meme-itude was amusing enough that I ended up checking out some episodes to get the references- and lo and behold, I ended up catching the S2 premiere live on a stream with a horde of fans. Hooked!

The spectrum of how people approach it. You can have a bunch of kids watching an episode and enjoying it, while the adults ALSO enjoy it while geeking out on the side references and the hardcore fans are also enjoying it for the worldbuilding in their pony-universe that's been built up for years. You can sit there with five people going, say "Fluttershy is best pony", and the show + fandom will give you five distinct reasons WHY they think that. You only get that kind of fandom from a show that,surprisingly for a kid's cartoon....actually wants to build a world with it's own internal logic. And succeeds.

That it's able to express itself in such a broad fashion. Fandoms that aren't being creative tend to collapse, bronies tend to not only create, but consume said creations in a self-sustaining cycle. As you saw above, it wasn't even the show itself that got me interested, but the fanwork that did- and that in turn got me interested in the show, which made me a fan who in turn amused himself being creative and hence helping to keep said creative cycles fueling the fandom further.

Actually, no. There are people that will deliberately walk around in a T-shirt, hit conventions, etc...and folks like me who just have a few of those Funko vinyl ponies sitting on a shelf mixed in with various bits of geek-souvenirs...and folks who just quietly lurk on a stream and anonymously watch pony, with all kinds in between.

Because they're fun to watch and actually have a distinct personality, one that doesn't remain static throughout the show as it's progressed. Good shows get you hooked on characters. MLP does that with a -lot- of it's characters, not just the main cast.

Certainly, though -changing- from ponies was kinda jarring with Equestria Girls- if only because it did a lot of fish-out-of-water stuff that just didn't feel like it made sense. I mean, it's not Twilight Sparkle hadn't seen bipedal creatures with hands before. Hello, minotaurs? But MLP actually draws plenty of inspiration from anime- right down to the S4 finale with it's gleeful homages to Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon/Dragonball transformations. (and a helluva lot of other stuff- the show's writers/artists delight in hiding references to other fandoms, often in plain sight.)

Faust built the original show with an eye towards cracking traditional "girl" views. It's a testament to her success that there's a considerable male audience as well, because it ended up cracking traditional "this is a girl/boy" show views, period. And age views, for that matter. You can easily make a kid's show. You can make a show for adults. MLP managed to do both at once, and that's why it's held up as long and as strong as it has.

You have so much to live for. Don't throw it away so soon!

#8918 Nova Latios Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 606 posts
  • LocationAnother Galaxy

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:33 AM

What is everyons fav pony?

#8919 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:21 AM

View PostNova Latios Storm, on 16 May 2014 - 05:33 AM, said:

What is everyons fav pony?

Posted Image

Why? I like to and often do view myself like that (or at least very close to it). I even used to joke for myself there's been someone copying my personality at every possible instance with her actions in the show.
I simply fit that shy, always good willing (unless something really special happens) guy quite a lot... at least in RL.

Then again, I like all of Mane6 (as in, no 'worst pony' applicable, just great and better ones).

Posted Image

#8920 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:57 AM

Thanks everyone! This totally helped! All the answers are amazing.

Okay my turn, ill be back in about an hour or so...

*Netflix on*

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users