28 replies to this topic

#21 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

OK WAIT STOP

The OP is in Norway (or so his profile states). Norway is in Europe, the edge of Europe. Until the devs can get around to rewriting the laws of physics, Norway will have lag due to limitations with the speed of light.

An EU server will help, but it will bifurcate the Open Beta testers which may or may not be something the devs want to do at this point.

Same issues for Asian, Australian, African, and South American testers: you're are far away from the servers, it takes a lot of time for your signal to reach them. Remember, it's not a straight shot, and the signal needs to routed which takes time. The longer the distance, the more routing that likely will happen.

#22 Codejack

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

View Postfocuspark, on 11 February 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

OK WAIT STOP

The OP is in Norway (or so his profile states). Norway is in Europe, the edge of Europe. Until the devs can get around to rewriting the laws of physics, Norway will have lag due to limitations with the speed of light.

An EU server will help, but it will bifurcate the Open Beta testers which may or may not be something the devs want to do at this point.

Same issues for Asian, Australian, African, and South American testers: you're are far away from the servers, it takes a lot of time for your signal to reach them. Remember, it's not a straight shot, and the signal needs to routed which takes time. The longer the distance, the more routing that likely will happen.

I'm in the U.S.; why do I have problems even when my ping is good?

#23 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostCodejack, on 11 February 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

I'm in the U.S.; why do I have problems even when my ping is good?

Isn't it obvious: the devs do not like you ;)

More seriously, every game has hiccups in performance, and more than likely (this being beta and all) there's all kinds of extra logging and monitoring happening on the server slowing everything down. Also, you likely play at the same time everyone else does

Me, I've nearly no issues with networking despite my ping hovering around 150ms (Seattle, WA). I can still hit lights most of the time with PPC fire.

#24 Codejack

Dezgra

• 1,530 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 11 February 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

Isn't it obvious: the devs do not like you :(

That's not quite what I claim, but there is some interesting data that implies that some aspect of your account affects how the server processes your information. There was another game a long time ago that had a similar problem with what they called the "bunny flag," where AI opponents would always pick you as their next target because they prioritized by account number... and for some reason, some people had really low account numbers and always got targeted.

I'm not saying that is what is happening, just that it is not as outlandish as you suggest.

More seriously, every game has hiccups in performance, and more than likely (this being beta and all) there's all kinds of extra logging and monitoring happening on the server slowing everything down. Also, you likely play at the same time everyone else does

Then why are other people saying that it is fine?

Me, I've nearly no issues with networking despite my ping hovering around 150ms (Seattle, WA). I can still hit lights most of the time with PPC fire.

My point. Why do you have no problems but I do? I am 3 hours ahead of you, but I stay up late, so that should be a wash. My ping is usually ~60. Sometimes I get bad netcode lag, sometimes I don't. When it is bad, pretty much anything but guided weaponry is unusable; even 6xSRM6 at point blank range against a stationary opponent "misses" half the time, even though I see it hit.

There are fundamental problems here, and I have not seen them do anything to address the issue.

#25 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

View PostCodejack, on 11 February 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

That's not quite what I claim, but there is some interesting data that implies that some aspect of your account affects how the server processes your information. There was another game a long time ago that had a similar problem with what they called the "bunny flag," where AI opponents would always pick you as their next target because they prioritized by account number... and for some reason, some people had really low account numbers and always got targeted.

I'm not saying that is what is happening, just that it is not as outlandish as you suggest.

Then why are other people saying that it is fine?

My point. Why do you have no problems but I do? I am 3 hours ahead of you, but I stay up late, so that should be a wash. My ping is usually ~60. Sometimes I get bad netcode lag, sometimes I don't. When it is bad, pretty much anything but guided weaponry is unusable; even 6xSRM6 at point blank range against a stationary opponent "misses" half the time, even though I see it hit.

There are fundamental problems here, and I have not seen them do anything to address the issue.

I do believe its a distance issue. I'm betting the servers are in Vancouver and Seattle is closest US city.

#26 Codejack

Dezgra

• 1,530 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 11 February 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

I do believe its a distance issue. I'm betting the servers are in Vancouver and Seattle is closest US city.

Fair enough, but I'm not exactly in China, here.

#27 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostCodejack, on 11 February 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

Fair enough, but I'm not exactly in China, here.

True, but depending on your provider, the L3 MWO is coming in on, and a host of other issues... you could be a lot further away than you think you are. Blizzard hosts most of their stuff at MAE West for optimal US connectivity - no idea where MWO is hosted.

#28 Regrets

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 382 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

I'm saying it isn't fine. I will take screenshot next time 14/16 players are ~250 ping.

#29 Codejack

Dezgra

• 1,530 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

View Postfocuspark, on 11 February 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

True, but depending on your provider, the L3 MWO is coming in on, and a host of other issues... you could be a lot further away than you think you are. Blizzard hosts most of their stuff at MAE West for optimal US connectivity - no idea where MWO is hosted.

I'm on Comcast; if they have a problem, then so does ~1/5 of the Internet customers in the U.S.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users