No replies to this topic

#1 Training Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Greetings from TAW.

Here's the Cicada 2A build I used. CDA-2A

So, this is a quick video I made earlier today. The idea behind this is to show some basic positioning and evasion. You'll notice that there are very few times in the video that I stop moving, and most of the hits against me come when I'm trying to line up a chain of shots on someone and I'm standing still or not moving enough. So lesson one is that even when you're sniping you should be moving some unless you're absolutely sure that no one is targeting you. There are also several examples of hitting people around 400-500m away while moving, which isn't too difficult if you lead them just a bit.

First of all, I'm not an elite mechwarrior, and I don't claim to be.
Second, this isn't an optimal game where I'm playing with a good four man team pugstomping.
This is me deliberately running a nontraditional sniper mech with no ecm in a random pug, because that's what a lot of new pilots looking at this forum are experiencing in game. This match was a loss, but it wasn't because of my actions, as the scoreboard at the end will show.

Third, I make several mistakes in this video, which will serve as additional lessons.
1- I choose to shoot the guy who hit me with a gauss rather than shoot the srm cat running around in the water. At the end, you'll notice exactly why this was a mistake. So, always shoot the srm/ac20 cat first if you have a clean target.
2- I engaged a bit too closely at the end, when I could have broken contact and moved back to a better firing position. The reason I chose not to was because I noticed that all of my teammates were dead and there were still several relatively healthy opposition mechs in the field, so I brawled a bit to end the match. I had several opportunities to break contact and fall back, and when you find yourself in this situation you should probably do that.

Anyways, hope this helps some newer people, and gives them ideas for what they can do. It's not hard to be better than me, so I set a low bar for you to jump over!

Edited by Training Instructor, 09 February 2013 - 02:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users