Guiding New Players

6 replies to this topic

#1 Conjure

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

I think having random tips posted for players at the begining and ending of matches could expediate new players understanding of the game.

Example

"Stick close to your team for defense and to focus fire. Facing five mechs alone is no way to win regardless of your skill."

"Don't break the line to chase light mechs. While you and three others are chasing a raven 7 enemy mechs are descending on the rest of your team you left behind."

"The closer your teams is to one another the more likely every one will focus fire on one enemy mech. (Usually the closest enemy to the group)"

etc.

To many of the matches I lose are a direct result of 3-4 mechs running of and doing some thing extremely noobish like going it alone, breaking file to chase mechs or not using cover. I get really frustrated with it and I hear many new players vent as im sure most of us have. Maybe pointers set by the dev's may help where pugs wont listen to a team mate.

Edited by Conjure, 09 February 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#2 blinkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

i have proven all of these wrong at least once. flanking manuevers are an ancient and very effective combat tactic.

a single mech can get several enemy mechs to turn around, exposing their ripe and tender back sides to your team.

one of my best matches was 5 kills and i did this by coming up behind the enemy firing line while they were facing my teams opposing firing line. i blew the hunch off of 2 hunchbacks before most of them even thought to turn around. then they all proceded to turn on me. my team used that chance to come out guns blazing.

the enemy was confused and unorganized trying to kill me as i ripped through their ranks. my team was organized and dealt large amounts of damage with relative impunity.

we won. i lived along with most of our team. the entire enemy team died. i killed 5 mechs. i was pugging.

#3 Conjure

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Do you really expect a group of new players to succesfully pull off a flanking manuver?

Then there is this quote

"a single mech can get several enemy mechs to turn around, exposing their ripe and tender back sides to your team."

Wouldn't that fall in the line of

"Don't break the line to chase light mechs. While you and three others are chasing a raven 7 enemy mechs are descending on the rest of your team you left behind."

And I am not talking about the one light mech that rushes to base to split up a noob team or the one light mech that tries to disorganize a line. I'm speaking of 4-5 players going completly on their own against teams that stick together.

Leave intermediate and advanced tactics to those that know the game. Please keep in mind the name and the content of this post. Guiding new players :P Looking for constructive thoughts.

Edited by Conjure, 09 February 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#4 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

i wasn't talking about light mechs either. i was talking about my 4x srm6+artemis catapult c4 "hello kitty". if they had ignored me it would have been worse for them.

as far as the rest i suppose it depends on how long they should keep the training wheels on. my opinion is that there is no real risk. no one is actually going to get hurt. put them on the bike seat throw them down the road and let them crash until they learn.

#5 Conjure

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 149 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

To begin with I wasn't talking about your srm boat. Read the OP. Intermediate tactics are secondary to a new player that has yet to understand the game mechanics. I don't really care what is posted as long as advice is given and given well in some fashion through out a new players experience. Down time with 1.5k matches of my own has shown me a group that sticks together wins or comes close to a win more often than not. That's a pretty simple concept if I need to break it down for you I will.

I have no idea what you mean by "no real risk". What kind of risk could there possibly be? Are you trolling? I feel I am being proactive and constructive. Bringing ideas to the table to help new players settle into the game. Hopefully helping them avoid getting their butts handed to them over and over. I have personal friends that gave up on the game after losing 90% of their first thirty or so PUG matches. There are many games out there, that means a lot of competition for gamers time. I hear new players talk about the imbalance of matchmaking and how they are sick of losing match after match. (I understand matchmaking is a work in progress and will be using an ELO system) I don't want to nerf the game or baby every player but criminy is a little advice from the devs posted between matches a bad thing? Something simple and well written that grabs players attention? Like I said there are a lot of games out there and gamers time is limited. I would like to see new fans of battletech emerge from this MWO. The health and fun of it will depend on new players. I have loved BT for 20 years but frankly if it degenerates into nothing but old TT fans I'll quite playing actively. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Edit: I know this is a bit of a rant but I am tired of reading posts over and over again that don't have progressive intent. This is beta testing and community input is acknowledged and valued. I read through a few of your posts in other topics blinkin and you have a few points made that are helpful towards the betterment of the game. I made this post not to be contested but considered as an idea for the devs to help new players get an idea of what to do in matches. My own advice doesn't have be posted on screen in between matches. Ultimately it would be up to the devs and I'm willing to bet they would know what to say.

Edited by Conjure, 10 February 2013 - 01:17 AM.

#6 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:27 AM

my point was about focusing on players sticking together. my "no real risk" comment refers to the fact that this is a game and people should feel free to experiment with new tactics. i like winning but not at the expense of having a fun and interesting match.

i do like the idea of giving advice. i was taking issue with the type of advice you were giving. it was all focused towards players always staying in one group. my in game experience has tought me that groups can be good, but a cluster of mechs that gets surrounded properly will die very quickly.

the training wheels in my metaphor were specifically the "stick with the group" concept.

if a suggestion system is included, tactics based suggestions should be strictly excluded. in regards to tactics there are far too many adendums and exceptions to the rules for any suggestions to be accurately represented in a simple loading screen text.

i am all for, any simple tips and tricks that relate to operation of the mech and any general interface of the game itself.

on a side note someone who spent money to get into the founders program and has almost 900 posts to their name is unlikely to be a troll.

a general note to some in the forum community: please stop calling anyone who disagrees with you a troll. it does not make your argument any more valid.

Edited by blinkin, 10 February 2013 - 01:35 AM.

#7 Conjure

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

A general note to any one in the forum. When replying to a post make an articulate argument that follows the point and topic. Other wise it is difficult to decern troll from proactive community player.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users