Killing As A Merc

17 replies to this topic

#1 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts
  • Locationbetwixt the seen and heard, underneath the upperhanded, above the underhanded. Sunlit with a cloudy background.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

I would like to immobilize, shut down, render useless, incapacitate, conquer, destroy, "Vanquish," or some similar term used in the MWO game. The goal is to stop the ememy mech, not to kill the pilot, which is what is being said when you render useless a mech. The only time a pilot would normally be killed is by a cockpit shot. Even overheating would cause the ejection mechanism to eject the pilot before the engine core blew.

Necessity of our battles reach into our lives, and to the lives of others. We may lose our rides, as many have, but here we are, for our lives have been spared in our desperate struggles. Let us not speak lightly of our fallen comrades, of our fallen enemies.

As Mercs, we depend our unit's solvency, their belief in us, and our abilities. The Great Houses hire us for the jobs they cannot do, or are too dirty for their dainty hands.

Lone Wolves Are Mercs too, they fight as needs meet, coming to a fight on their terms, or not at all.

I would like to have the PGI crew to consider changing . plodder killed Sid Solis, to;Sid Solaris has vanquished plodder :) . or any other interesting non-death word. Thanks, uncle danno

Edited by plodder, 11 January 2013 - 10:01 PM.

#2 Wolf Ender

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:40 AM

i think it's six of one, half dozen of the other.

when you take down an enemy mech, you might call it a "kill" or a "splash" or "down" one might say "take out target echo" just as easily as they may say "kill that jenner"

when you banter with your fellow mechwarriors one guy might say "i got more kills than you" not necessarily implying that all those pilots died.

personally, i don't care if i killed the pilots of the enemy mechs i down, but that's just me. RP as you like it.

if PGI changed it from "kill" to anything though, i think it should be "destroyed" but I think i'm happy with "killed"

Edited by Wolf Ender, 05 January 2013 - 01:40 AM.

#3 chiXnhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

No , no , no. When you drop against KaoS we're killing you. We salvage your mech and wipe you out with a squeege.

#4 CrashieJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Mercs with a good standing against other Mercs may have the ability to "trade places" if they square off in the Metagame. Both sides can get paid with some cut and favors may be exchanged.

this is why Mercenaries > Houses... double deals can go on without knowledge

#5 Sid Solis

• PipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

View Postplodder, on 05 January 2013 - 12:19 AM, said:

I would like to immobilize, shut down, render useless, incapacitate, conquer, destroy, "Vanquish," or some similar term used in the MWO game. The goal is to stop the ememy mech, not to kill the pilot, which is what is being said when you render useless a mech. The only time a pilot would normally be killed is by a cockpit shot. Even overheating would cause the ejection mechanism to eject the pilot before the engine core blew.

Necessity of our battles reach into our lives, and to the lives of others. We may lose our rides, as many have, but here we are, for our lives have been spared in our desperate struggles. Let us not speak lightly of our fallen comrades, of our fallen enemies.

As Mercs, we depend our unit's solvency, their belief in us, and our abilities. The Great Houses hire us for the jobs they cannot do, or are too dirty for their dainty hands.

Lone Wolves Are Mercs too, they fight as needs meet, coming to a fight on their terms, or not at all.

I would like to have the PGI crew to consider changing . plodder killed Opus, to;plodder has vanquished Opus. or any other interesting non-death word. Thanks, uncle danno

lets get one thing right tho, you don't kill Opus, Opus kills you......

#6 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts
  • Locationbetwixt the seen and heard, underneath the upperhanded, above the underhanded. Sunlit with a cloudy background.

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

View PostSid Solis, on 09 January 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

lets get one thing right tho, you don't kill Opus, Opus kills you......

Maybe you missed the point, I don't want "kill" opus, only tear his mech apart slowly, or in a quick barrage, making it inoperable, to vanquish you from the field. As to the do-er, or the do-ee, rest on the day, and the pack you run with.

#7 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostWolf Ender, on 05 January 2013 - 01:40 AM, said:

i think it's six of one, half dozen of the other.

when you take down an enemy mech, you might call it a "kill" or a "splash" or "down" one might say "take out target echo" just as easily as they may say "kill that jenner"

when you banter with your fellow mechwarriors one guy might say "i got more kills than you" not necessarily implying that all those pilots died.

personally, i don't care if i killed the pilots of the enemy mechs i down, but that's just me. RP as you like it.

if PGI changed it from "kill" to anything though, i think it should be "destroyed" but I think i'm happy with "killed"

I hear what you are saying, but it does not say Wolf Ender killed the jenner. It says Wolf Ender killed plodder.

Not plodder's ride, but plodder. I know killing plodder has an appeal that making plodder walk home without his mech doesn't.

You bring up that thought, destroyed plodder is still, anti what I am saying. But they could add: " 's mech"

Then it would be: Wolf Ender Killed plodder's mech

#8 Sid Solis

• PipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

View Postplodder, on 09 January 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

Maybe you missed the point, I don't want "kill" opus, only tear his mech apart slowly, or in a quick barrage, making it inoperable, to vanquish you from the field. As to the do-er, or the do-ee, rest on the day, and the pack you run with.

no i missed nothing just telling you that Opus is bad *** and who cares about how the game says how someone dies, just kick the crap out of your opponent and move on to the next game...the rest is minor details

#9 Prawned

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

I like that I can shoot somebody in the face and then make fun of them afterwards for being terrible at gundams.

#10 Sid Solis

• PipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

View PostPrawned, on 09 January 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

I like that I can shoot somebody in the face and then make fun of them afterwards for being terrible at gundams.

oh go back under your bridge troll

#11 Prawned

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

Rude.

#12 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

View PostSid Solis, on 09 January 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

no i missed nothing just telling you that Opus is bad *** and who cares about how the game says how someone dies, just kick the crap out of your opponent and move on to the next game...the rest is minor details

Oh yeah you missed the point, or at least ignore it. I have had conversations with Opus in the past. There is nothing but respect for Opus coming from me. I like what he is doing. As far as skills and talent, I am sure he is a better pilot that me, that certainly does not take that much. Look at my name. I picked it with reason and forethought. I am a average pilot at best. I do "take out" mechs though, and anyone can be taken out. I am glad Opus that has a buddy that wants to defend him, but attacking me does not further his cause. So relax if you can, here listen to some good music, it could help:

I just have some ideas about gaming and killing, especially after all those kids got shot up in Connecticut.

The thing is, the game is about taking out the mech, killing just happens sometimes. thanks uncle danno

Edited by plodder, 10 January 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#13 Sid Solis

• PipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

see this is why i hate conversations in text because sarcasm doesn't tranlate well.....and really....your going to pull a school shoot into your reasoning?....i wrote out a rather long "speach" as to why your an ***** for making that a reason but i deleted it because it was rather angery and viloent.......so heres my short responce. there is no need for kiddie gloves in a video game and if your trying to be PC then god help you

#14 SectionZ

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:44 AM

Every time I died, I changed my account name and started over.

I Started off as SectionA.

Fortunately, I learned to stop dying once I hit Z. Boy, that sure was a lucky coincidence.

#15 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

View PostSid Solis, on 11 January 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

see this is why i hate conversations in text because sarcasm doesn't tranlate well.....and really....your going to pull a school shoot into your reasoning?....i wrote out a rather long "speach" as to why your an ***** for making that a reason but i deleted it because it was rather angery and viloent.......so heres my short responce. there is no need for kiddie gloves in a video game and if your trying to be PC then god help you

It is more than kid gloves, and isn't ok that my opinion is different than yours. I shared what I thought, I had thought of it before, but after the shooting it did bother, since, like I said, Battletech, which is also Mechwarrior, it is about the mechs, not the people dying. That makes it intrinsically different from the other games like Halo, and the rest. What is wrong with making that distinction clearer?

Have you seen what they are talking about in the news with violent games? This is a clean game, this is a game any mom could let their kid play, but they may not, cause it has the bad word "killing" in it. And really, why does it? Is it needed for anyone to feel like they accomplished anything?No, I hope not. We can suggest things, talk them out reasonably if we want.
If we come to a consensus, the devs would want to here.

I am sorry I did not get your sarcasm. You could have been a youngling defending your favorite player, and while I can offend unintentionally and intentionally, I am sorry for causing you to be angry, I did not mean to, and I was trying to build a bridge, I like your attitude, and I really agree with you about text communications. If you want we could go to a different topic, make one up and make up some railing rants. Of course it all has to be "not" serious, or it would break the rules the Moderators enforce. Hey, it might even still break the rules..

But wasn't that Sinatra good at least? thanks danno

View PostSectionZ, on 11 January 2013 - 03:44 AM, said:

Every time I died, I changed my account name and started over.

I Started off as SectionA.

Fortunately, I learned to stop dying once I hit Z. Boy, that sure was a lucky coincidence.

This was amazingly pathetic....So, I like it. Question though, does this mean you do not play anymore, or that your mech is no longer rendered inoperable by your opponents?

#16 Krellek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 221 posts
  • LocationGlendora, CA

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

I tend to agree on this topic. Having a Death / Destroyed / Assist tally feels appropriate.

One of the major thematic principles of canon, centers on the warrior lives of mech pilot's in a time where knowledge and technical skills were extremely valued. Drop ships and jump ships alike weren't simply shot out of the sky because of how rare and valuable they were to all of humanity. Both mech and pc technicians that were captured by an enemy were commonly rolled into some facet of the conquering faction. The average mech pilot was young because not everyone made it home and those that did had to on the back of a skimmer or tank from time to time.

Humanity was on the cusp of losing the ability to travel the stars. War was a way of life, but it was governed in principle by universal standards. Of course from time to time, something taboo would occur, but the act was almost always seen as tyrannical or abhorrent.

Point being, a mech warrior rarely went into battle seeking death for his enemy. He sought glory in shaming others on the field of battle. That is not to say a he wouldn't feel sorry or even smile knowing he took a life. It is meant to show that there was an understanding, an unmentioned acknowledgment that the person in the other cockpit had gone through the same trials and tribulations and had received training in an ever fleeting choice of careers.

That's why it's important in my opinion to have a death tally in the event conditions in battle led to one. I don't need PGI to make an actual eject button nor do I need them to code an animation for it. I would be content with a simple number on the score screen and I would imagine a lot of others wouldn't mind.

Edited by Krellek, 16 January 2013 - 02:40 AM.

#17 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Yeah, it is not like there is not killing in Battletech, but that is not the focus, the equipment is the focus.

#18 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

THANKS DEVS!!!!!! :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users