Ilya Builds

11 replies to this topic

#1 CdrMcNeil

Rookie

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

So picked up a Muromets. I've seen a few builds mentioned here and there in various posts. The default loadout is not all that bad, but in the few matches I've piloted it in I'm finding the XL engine to be a bit of a liability. Now I will freely admit that could be due to my own inexperience with the platform. So just wanted to ask all the Ilya pilots out there what has proven to be the best build for you and what piloting style matches your build.

Edited by CdrMcNeil, 25 January 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#2 MrPenguin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:40 AM

Not the best build, but its an interesting one.

DHS, Endo, 220 STD, 2 MG's, AC/20 and 2 LL

The amount of people who scream at me because of how annoying it is to be hit by both machine guns and an AC/20 is pure hilarity.

Edited by MrPenguin, 25 January 2013 - 07:40 AM.

#3 Darius Deadeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

Running the xl 285, triple uac, three medium lasers, endo.

Barring jams, unleash hell!

#4 toxx1790

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

I've tried a lot of Ilya builds, but this one is the one I play the most:

XL280
2x gauss
3x mpl

Edit: You need Endo and DHS -- run it with just 10 DHS -- heat management isn't a problem.

Edited by toxx1790, 25 January 2013 - 08:03 AM.

#5 CdrMcNeil

Rookie

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

View PostDarius Deadeye, on 25 January 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

Running the xl 285, triple uac, three medium lasers, endo.

Barring jams, unleash hell!

That's one thing I have found when I run UACs. Damn things jam constantly.

#6 Gandalfrockman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

Triple UAC5
XL 300 Engine
Lots and lots of bullets.

This makes you fast enoguh to out manuever assaults,and most heavies (Shakes fist at 100+ kph dragons) This also puts some brutal screenshake on your target, and is surprisingly effective at distance, it works well out to about 500 distance. people will consistently underestimate your mobility, and then get punished for it, If your going to use an XL on the ilya, I would say the minimum is a 300, that will give you enough speed to mitigate the side torso vulnerability with dodging.
As far as jamming goes, good trigger discipline is basically a requirment, there are times when you want to throw caution to the wind, and let the dakka roll, but alot of the time especially early in the match short, precise, linked fire bursts are the key to success, and the key to not running out of your vw sized bullets. (even with 250+ rounds of ammo, it can happen.)

#7 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

The build I've had the most success with:

XL280
3x UAC5 (don't remember ammo tonnage but I had 200 shots)
3x ML
Endo
DHS

I find that the UAC5s don't really jam that much if you put them in chain fire mode and don't press the trigger button too rapidly :) They seem to jam most often when you double-fire them (that is, shoot the same UAC5 again before its' cycle time is up). Chain-fire plus an educated trigger finger go a long way with these. Of course, if you find yourself in a situation where you REALLY need a crap ton of firepower, jamming be damned, then you can just mash that mouse button.

I've played a lot of matches with that build and I would say that, overall, the XL engine didn't seem to be too much of a liability. Sure, you'll get a match here and there when a gauss/AC20 Catapult or someone else with very big precision guns takes out one of your side torsos in the first 15 seconds of an engagement and you'll curse that XL engine. At least in my experience (or luck) those were rare occasions. In most of my matches I felt like I was still able to survive long enough to have a meaningful and productive impact and so I generally wasn't disappointed when I died, even if that death was due to the XL engine.

Coincidentally, earlier today I did decide to swap out that XL 280 with a STD 225 (roughly same tonnage) just to see what life was like without that XL liability. Just as my luck would have it, it seemed like in every match every enemy with huge guns would focus me and core me in the first 20 seconds of an engagement anyway. That, combined with the fact that turn speed was ABYSMAL, sent me back to the XL 280.

#8 skelley92

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 108 posts
  • LocationFusion Engine City, MI

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

View Postdarkkterror, on 25 January 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

The build I've had the most success with:

XL280
3x UAC5 (don't remember ammo tonnage but I had 200 shots)
3x ML
Endo
DHS

I have the same build. Works great. UAC5 jamming is not an issue, running out of ammo is however. Would like a little more speed, but I'm not willing to give up weapons or armor or ammo for a couple of extra kph.

Edited by skelley92, 26 January 2013 - 08:21 AM.

#9 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

I played with a guy last night who had 3 Gauss rifles on his Illya. He really seemed to be enjoying it. Not sure what it takes to fit all that in there, but apparently he did it.

#10 Rascal2pt0

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

@NRP I would assume a firm disregard for armor, and a engine worth compensating for.

#11 Skadi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

Someone needs to load 3 Gauss onto one of these STAT.

#12 Robdillard

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 135 posts
  • LocationDartmouth/ Halifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

3x Large lasers 1x guass rifle std 260 engine. 3 tons of ammo. guass rifle and a large laser are in the same arm for baiting people so you can protect that arm. armor is about 32 on each leg so not bad. DHS provides excellent firing speed. Very solid build great for heavy damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users