Awesome Is Having Its Day

69 replies to this topic

#21 kilgor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 347 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

So says the Cataphract driver that dies when the Awesome blows out it's Right Torso and it's XL engine dies along with it's AC/20?

#22 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

I like my 9M. 2 LL, 1 LPL, 1 SL and 2 SRM4's. With a 275 Engine and enough heatsinks/ammo it works quite well. If only the CT wasn't so big. Seriously that's the only drawback to the mech. It requires a good pilot and a lot of torso turning.

#23 armyof1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Having tried out an AWS-8R I have to say it doesn't live up to its' name. It's like a little bit faster Atlas with a lot less armor and huge hitboxes everywhere. I find it amusing that the latest patch would even slow the turn rate by 5% of all Awesomes except PB, I mean the weakest Assault needs a nerf, really?

#24 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

The 8 series all got engine upgrades, so there's your missing turn speed right there.

View PostButane9000, on 10 February 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

It requires a good pilot and a lot of torso turning.

You're leaving out too many qualifiers. The Awesome requires a great pilot to handle itself against a mediocre Atlas/Stalker pilot. Put a great pilot in both Mechs and the Awesome doesn't stand a chance. It's an oversized Hunchback, straight up.

Sincerely, a great Awesome pilot.

#25 Primetimex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 353 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

On the subject of speed, my usual trio of Stalkers (3F, 5M, 5S) can do 62.9kph easy after speed buff and tops out at 65kph. That and it is an absolute monster once you fit in four to six MPLs, an assortment of SRM-6 mech killers and SSRM2 light killers.

Stalkers may not be pretty to look at, but they sure are damn reliable! And I also don't need XL engines since they take up too much space and easy to crit.

Edited by Primetimex, 10 February 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#26 Phenakist

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

I cannot understand why people think the awesome is terrible.
The Awesome is cappable of sustaining higher DPS than similar cataphract builds, with the same speed and more armor. Maybe not all of the Awm's are great, but there are some really good ones

#27 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Because you don't compare the Awesome to the Cataphract. You compare it to the other Assaults.

#28 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

The spider and dragons will get their day to shine once they too get their quirks added.

#29 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

I find my 8R is usually left to blissfully trundle toward the enemy team in relative comfort, until it obliterates something with its SRMs, then it gets pummeled, but that's what those big chunky arms are for! Fighting in the 8R is quite exciting, especially so because you essentially have to trade blows with the enemy by swinging your torso around to catch their attack with your arms, and then turn back to fire your missiles. Do you wait for their alpha and possibly lose your arm now, or risk catching it in the face but finishing them off?

I'd say that the 8R is a better variant than the PB in the majority of PUG games I've played, but the PB excels when you have a team composition that supports it.

#30 Kaspirikay

• Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

I still find awesomes pushovers. They just do alittle more damage now. Nothing has changed about their massive torso.

#31 Snowcaller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 216 posts
  • LocationHiding in FRR space after defecting. (UK)

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 10 February 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

By the way, the 8T with a 300 standard, two PPCs, and two SRM6 = Thug, one of the best mechs in the game and the big brother/competitor to the Warhammer. Makes me happy in the pants!

Mine's that with a pair of medpulses for those <90m moments. :)

#32 Jonathan Paine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Saw a good 8R pilot earlier, might have been Ricky. He excelled at using his arms as shields and timed his SRM shots extremely well. Would have loved a duel in my PB, but a trio of mediums brought me down.

#33 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

View PostSpinning Burr, on 10 February 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

Despite being the designated assault whipping boy since closed beta rollout (like Centurion and Dragon in its classes) it is nice to see the Awesome having his day in the sun. Between 9M and Baby, there are at least 2 Awesomes dropping every match right now. I consistently see Awesome pilots racking up 400+ scores and being in top three of their boards. Not bad for contender of &quot;worst mech in the game&quot; title that it is competing with Spider and Dragon.

Keep laughing at my flame, keep laughing long enough for me to quad PPC your head.

#34 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 10 February 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

I find my 8R is usually left to blissfully trundle toward the enemy team in relative comfort, until it obliterates something with its SRMs, then it gets pummeled, but that's what those big chunky arms are for! Fighting in the 8R is quite exciting, especially so because you essentially have to trade blows with the enemy by swinging your torso around to catch their attack with your arms, and then turn back to fire your missiles. Do you wait for their alpha and possibly lose your arm now, or risk catching it in the face but finishing them off?

I'd say that the 8R is a better variant than the PB in the majority of PUG games I've played, but the PB excels when you have a team composition that supports it.

You just described exactly how to pilot an Atlas, except without the armor and Ballistic slots.

#35 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

The ballistics in the Atlas and the outrageous amount of hard points on the Stalker are all that really make the Awesome feel less worthy. It is a great mech if your team isn't a bunch of bads. But it is a lot less forgiving then the other two simply because they either out gun you or can put more damage in fewer shots.

Edited by Trauglodyte, 10 February 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#36 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

No awesomes seen by me tonight.

#37 nksharp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

View PostViper69, on 10 February 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

No awesomes seen by me tonight.

Me nether, but I play 8v8s, where real men play.

#38 Pihb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

The centurion is not a whipping boy! Don't even think of putting it anywhere near the "awesome" category.

#39 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

View PostSnowcaller, on 10 February 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

I got an Awesome...it's...er...pretty cool.
I also have 3 Dragons and 4 Phracts and a Foundy-catty (would have preferred a Dragon, tbh).
Glad for the engine cap buff the Awesome just had, and the 'Baby is the first Hero that i've wanted.

Saving for my second AWS as we 'speak' while i grind up my DRG's again.

The AWS and DRG are similar in that they work best piloted as the weight class below +5.
Kinda like the Cicada.

That's a +5 mech, too.

GO AWESOME, YOU'RE...er...REALLY GOOD.

Random...never seen you post on here before, played a game with you last night and then saw this post today.

#40 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 10 February 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

By the way, the 8T with a 300 standard, two PPCs, and two SRM6 = Thug, one of the best mechs in the game and the big brother/competitor to the Warhammer. Makes me happy in the pants!

That's what I run, too. Damn good loadout.

36 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 36 guests, 0 anonymous users