Awesome Is Having Its Day

69 replies to this topic

#41 Pihb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 10 February 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

Random...never seen you post on here before, played a game with you last night and then saw this post today.

what are you getting at?

#42 vettie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

Increase in engine size did 'lots' for the AWS series. Speed make a big difference in these.

I am not so much on XLs, even less on mechs that seem to have big / easy cts. Dropped the XL and popped in a 320 on the 9M, nice.

They are growing on me. takes a bit to learn how to use the mech (doesnt matter which variant). Once the pilot tree is worked and DHS installed, these are viable mechs. Load and tweak to your style. I have found mine with them.

I am not saying they are any better than any others or worse, you just have to figure out how to use them.

#43 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

View PostJonathan Paine, on 10 February 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

Saw a good 8R pilot earlier, might have been Ricky. He excelled at using his arms as shields and timed his SRM shots extremely well. Would have loved a duel in my PB, but a trio of mediums brought me down.

I've seen some fantastic ones, including the one that made me fall in love with Awesomes when he unexpectedly and utterly annihilated my Cataphract. Got to love it when your twin gauss e-peen is brought in line by two dozen SRMs to the face. After that I began checking the weapons loadouts on mechs before choosing what range to engage them at!

#44 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

View PostVlad Ward, on 10 February 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

You just described exactly how to pilot an Atlas, except without the armor and Ballistic slots.

Going out on a limb here as I don't pilot an Atlas but I left out the appropriate reaction to winning a game in an Atlas vs an Awesome:

* When you get 6 kills in an Atlas, it's an "alright" game - you could have killed the entire team, their families and their pets and ****** the world in half, if only the timer hadn't ticked down.

* When you get 6 kills in an Awesome. Holy ****! You got 6 kills in an Awesome! You got 6 kills and only lost your arms (because let's face it, losing a side torso in an Awesome practically guarantees death with or without an XL) and topped the charts in an Awesome! Time to stop playing for a bit and go outside, and think about all the days you just ruined that made yours taste a little bit sweeter.

#45 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

People do love their underdogs. I'm just a fan of consistency. If it's a bad Mech, that's cool. Use it all you want (I certainly do) knowing it's a bad Mech, and go ahead and pat yourself on the back when you smash a team of significantly newer/less skilled players with it.

But don't turn around and say it's a good Mech. It's not. That's the whole point. It's a handicap. It's an 80 ton Hunchback that nets your opponent an Atlas or, worse, a Stalker.

#46 Spinning Burr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 429 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

I've been playing the 8R, 9M, and PB. The 8R is its own animal. Slow and will take a lot of punishment its way so you better have a standard engine if you want to last. 4 SRM6's is definitely the way to go and then it hold up at point blank brawls with other slow large mechs. The 9M seems like the best chassis overall. It is capable of toting 3 ERPPC's with manageable heat and good speed. Seriously, it can handle the heat of 3 ER PPCs but only as long as you design the entire mech around those weapons and heat management. Once you taste 3 ppcs chain firing, it's hard to go back to another awesome.

I was really having trouble finding a place for Pretty Baby in comparison to 9M. Nothing I tried could match the raw destruction of 3 vs 2 ppcs. My vote would go to 9M hands down until finally I loaded the 400XL engine into PB. I want to say that this makes a huge difference for the mech, making the PB suddenly relevant next to the 9M. The speed boost is not much (around 5 kph) however it turns an 85 kph brawl/snipe cataphract-like support role mech into an 89 kph (almost 90 in an assault mech!) run & gun mech. Suddenly, you're not playing the PB like a phract. Now you're playing it like a centurion or a dragon. The speed boost is only half of it. The 400 XL engine is only rating that can load 6 heat sinks. This is more worth it than even the speed, because suddenly you just loaded 16 DHS into an XL engine taking up no extra space. This is cool enough to manage your 2 ER PPC's without a single external heatsink (but not cool enough if you had 3 PPCs in the 9M). This means you pack in endosteel AND ferrofibrous AND double heat sinks AND XL and now the Baby has come into its own. It runs around like a Dragon with max awesome armor, 2 ER PPC's, and 3 streak SRM's, and it never ever stops to stand still. This Pretty Baby is relevant and can hold its own among awesomes. The 9M still brings much more firepower, but Baby is the running awesome.

#47 M4NTiC0R3X

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

When they introduced the stalker i sold my newly purchased 9M thinking that the stalker would be greater in all ways.

Sure, my stalker has it's own qualities which make it great... and my awesome is pretty much terrified of face to face combat with a good stalker or atlas.. but you know what? That 9M Kicks ***, the arms... iono I don't want to tell my build but as far as fast moving assault 'mech that really packs a nonstop lightning barrage... with streaks... it's just an ECM lights greatest companion ever. EVAR!

#48 Daiichidoku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

9M FTW

#49 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

i'm very much looking forward to bringing my old awesomes out to play sometime, they were so poverty striken for effectiveness being energy boats as large as barns but now they've come back better than ever and can actually worry me on a battlefield.

fantastic to see them viable!

#50 anonymous175

• Bad Company
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

I had fun with it. Sold it and bought a Spider.

#51 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:19 AM

The awesome is faster and has a lot better mobility and twisting than a stalker. Makes a crazy fast 80 tonner that can rip stuff apart very quickly with the right loadouts.

#52 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:23 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 11 February 2013 - 02:19 AM, said:

The awesome is faster and has a lot better mobility and twisting than a stalker. Makes a crazy fast 80 tonner that can rip stuff apart very quickly with the right loadouts.

according to my own personal experience, pgi has balanced the assaults among each other in this last patch, if you put the same pilot in these, the outcome will be:

awesome>stalker>atlas>awesome>stalker>atlas>awesome

take ears off the stalker with your awesome, and go around his back with your nimbleness. stalker dies.
tank the damage of an atlas and blow him away with sheer arsenal with your stalker.
laugh in the face of an awesome with your atlas as it tries to tickle you and end his misery with your ballistics
the cycle repeats, a eats b eats c..

Edited by Mazzyplz, 11 February 2013 - 02:24 AM.

#53 Apoc1138

• 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:51 AM

the problem with the awesome has almost nothing to do with the awesome itself - it's the fact that when one of your team mates chooses the awesome the enemy team get a better LRM boat stalker or an Atlas

you end up having to play the Awesome like a medium mech (biggest engine and hit and run tactics) to be effective, it's the odd sock in the assault draw... but then most of the bottom weight in class mechs suffer from the same disadvantage and some people learn to overcome that

#54 Craftyman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

Its really only slightly better (not that I don't appreciate the changes). It still needs more quirking to be balanced against an atlas/stalker. Heat Dissipation quirk please :o

Edited by Craftyman, 11 February 2013 - 03:06 AM.

#55 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,612 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:17 AM

Give me a Zeus and I will show you what an 80 ton Assault can do.

#56 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:20 AM

hey look man :o
Posted Image
this is a pick up group match- by definition; a pick up group is a random sample of players (skill-wise)

2 awesome and 1 stalker
=====vs=====
2 atlas and 1 awesome

battle lasts a good six-seven minutes so not a steamroll per se

first group wins > pretty baby manages to pull it's own weight too - way above the 8v? must be the stock cfg in there.

even distribution of kills on the first team, 2nd team that lost has 3 types of catapult, including gauss and splat. (all lone wolf- cat premade?!) - 1st team has founders catapult which isn't anything too special, kicks arse.

atlas vs awesome pretty much never engage, the swarm takes the two giants out - one atlas is a founders which is a nice model.

===================================

Posted Image

1 awesome vs 1 atlas ->
urban skirmish, nearly 6 min long. (seems trial atlas is pretty much a new player though)

cicada 3m kicks arse? outdamages illya

edit: in retrospect this match our team was quite faster too, i suspect this is not a coincidence

[matches from today specifically - always post fresh pics only, mad shout out to those teams]

Edited by Mazzyplz, 11 February 2013 - 04:45 AM.

#57 Spinning Burr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 429 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

View PostApoc1138, on 11 February 2013 - 02:51 AM, said:

the problem with the awesome has almost nothing to do with the awesome itself - it's the fact that when one of your team mates chooses the awesome the enemy team get a better LRM boat stalker or an Atlas

you end up having to play the Awesome like a medium mech (biggest engine and hit and run tactics) to be effective, it's the odd sock in the assault draw... but then most of the bottom weight in class mechs suffer from the same disadvantage and some people learn to overcome that

It's true. The cicada, the dragon, and the awesome suffer from the same syndrome compared to their peers: too young and small for their grade in school. I have found the awesome to be no better than a cataphract, the dragon marginally better than a centurion, and the cicada very much like a jenner or raven.

#58 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

View PostPhenakist, on 10 February 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

I cannot understand why people think the awesome is terrible.
The Awesome is cappable of sustaining higher DPS than similar cataphract builds, with the same speed and more armor. Maybe not all of the Awm's are great, but there are some really good ones

Well, too bad the matchmaker doesn't match the awesome with similar cataphract builds, but with a 20 tons heavier atlas DDC.
If the pilots have the same skilllevel, the ddc will rip the awesome apart in a blink of an eye.

Edited by meteorol, 11 February 2013 - 04:23 AM.

#59 Ilwrath

• 1,195 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

View PostFather Dougel, on 10 February 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

I always liked the Awesome, expect that horrible cockpit engine noise.

Yeah why did they add that crap? It was even worse just after they did it so I think they toned it down.
Not only is the Awesome the gimp of the assaults, now its a gimp that sounds like the transformers from the
new films.

Other than the annoying sounds I find the Awesome hard to use because of all the premading going on. To compete in such an environment I need to run something optimized. So I run a Stalker instead.

Kinda sad when I have 3 of the Awesomes mastered.

Edited by Ilwrath, 11 February 2013 - 04:40 AM.

#60 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:51 AM

This thread needs more 'Pretty Baby'.

26 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 26 guests, 0 anonymous users