• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 690 posts
  • LocationTerra, Sol System

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:22 AM

View PostNorris J Packard, on 11 February 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

(Daishi Prime)
Chassis: 100 Ton Assault (5.918,640 CBills)
Armor: 608 points FF/Clan (319,984 CBills)
Engine: 300 XL (4,900,000 CBills)
Weapons:
- 1x LRM-10 (200,000 CBills)
- 4x ER Large Laser (1,600,000 CBills)
- 4x Medium Pulse Laser (480,000 CBills)
- 2x Ultra AC/5 (800,000 CBills)
Ammo:
- 2 Tons Ultra AC/5 Ammo (18,000 CBills)
- 1 Ton LRM Ammo (30,060 CBills)
Equipment:
- 10x Double Heat Sinks (120,000 CBills)
- 3x CASE (300,000 CBills)

You did forget a major point in your calulations. All of the weapons are Clan tech. They have a much grester power to weight ratio. The Clan lasers have much better ranges. Their LRM systems have NO minumin range. Even their ballistic weapons have better ranges. As such I think your costs are quite a bit low. I wouldn't be surprise to see a Daishi/Dire Wolf go for $80

Edited by Mao of DC, 11 February 2013 - 03:23 AM.

#22 Norris J Packard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:32 AM

View PostMao of DC, on 11 February 2013 - 03:22 AM, said:

You did forget a major point in your calulations. All of the weapons are Clan tech. They have a much grester power to weight ratio. The Clan lasers have much better ranges. Their LRM systems have NO minumin range. Even their ballistic weapons have better ranges. As such I think your costs are quite a bit low. I wouldn't be surprise to see a Daishi/Dire Wolf go for $80

No I didn't, in TT there is no "Clan" tax as it were. However OmniMech chassis do come with a 25% increase to cost, which is reflected on everything. So it's been factored already.

#23 Mao of DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 690 posts
  • LocationTerra, Sol System

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:31 AM

View PostNorris J Packard, on 11 February 2013 - 03:32 AM, said:

No I didn't, in TT there is no "Clan" tax as it were. However OmniMech chassis do come with a 25% increase to cost, which is reflected on everything. So it's been factored already.

You were are basing you numbers off a technical readout from some time in MWO's furture. In 3050 or even 3052 Clan weapons would be rare and cost more because of it. That is all I am saying.

The game BattleDroids frist came out in 1984. George Lucas had issue with the use of the word droid, (Lucasarts still owns the word BTW), so it was changed to Battletech in '85. I've played the TT since '87, (2nd edition). When the Clans weapons frist came out in 1990, they had no costs, because you couldn't buy them only salvage them. You couldn't buy Clan weapons until 3rd edition (1992). By this time the game universe timeline had advanced to 3055. By 1998 the timeline is up to 3060. In 2001 FASA sold the rights to the franchise to Wizkids, who licensed it to FanPro. In 2007 Catalyst Game Labs gained the licenseing rights and has been producing the game ever since. By 2010 the timeline had been pushed to 3085 and beyond depending on the game you chose to play.

Edited by Mao of DC, 11 February 2013 - 04:44 AM.

#24 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:55 AM

It seems simple. Change the conversion rate to double C-Bill amount for omni/clan mechs and you're good.

And should you want to leave original IS prices as is (they could be lower, in my humble opinion), it would also add that "irresistible" saving mentality for people (you know: "I will save double the amount of time for just a small increase in price, hooray!").

In case they got to even higher price-point of mechs (full clantech top of the line 100 ton omni) they could again add 2500 CBills to the conversion rate.

#25 Apoc1138

• 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

The solution that PGI has is one that we can clearly see them working towards. Originally PGI announced that they'd be doing a sale on Dragons for a meager 20% on January 25th. Based off a poll taken during this sale, a very small number of the population actually took advantage of it. For the most part, the Community seemed to believe it was a rather lackluster offer.

This is why I always take forum poll results with a massive pinch of salt... the number of dragons I saw over the 20% weekend was significantly higher than before or after which would indicate that the sale was somewhat more successful than that poll would indicate

#26 Natasha Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

I am going to be breaking this post down into several sections as it is very long, but I hope you find it informative. Also - this is not an inflammatory thread, I am simply attempting to discern what the plan will be regarding the introduction of Clan Mechs from a financial standpoint: that is MC, not CBills.

The Real Cost of Clan Mechs

A while ago I calculated that the Daishi will cost somewhere around 15,000 MC, if not more (here). However because this translates into roughly $65 USD, no matter how you slice it this is an absolutely exorbitant amount of money. People will actively avoid paying for Clan Mechs with money, and we know that PGI will put in some free alternative to obtain them otherwise the game will enter into a phase of actual P2W.

So in short; $65 dollar Daishi's just aren't going to fly. But what does this actually mean?

Well first, let's take a look into how PGI actually comes up with the MC values for (non-Hero) Mechs. Currently the conversion rate is 2,500 CBills to 1 MC. Let's use the Atlas AS7-D-DC as an example that I can demonstrate this as proof:

Posted Image

Notice we have the two values, CBills and MC. Well if we use the conversion rate of 2500:1 as I rated before, then it should come out to 4,195 MC.

10,486,012 / 2500 = 4194.4048 MC

Not quite 4,195, but literally so close that we can see PGI simply rounded up the figure. Now let's see what happens if we apply this again to the Daishi shall we?

Posted Image

29,350,000 / 2500 = 11740 MC

So wait a minute here, if I said that the Daishi will cost about 15,000 MC how come my figure is completely off? Good question. Originally PGI based their CBill values off of rough estimates and the canon costs of the variants. However later on they then actually normalized the values by taking account of the real cost of the components. It's why the Atlas AS7-D is 9,676,072 CBills despite the fact it's cost according to TT is 9,626,000 CBills. This may seem like a slight difference, but on some Mechs and some variants in particular the cost gap between the lore/TT figure and the MWO one is a pretty big divide.

Now because they did this, I can "recreate" a Daishi by using IS equivalent parts. In all likelihood this number will be off by a great deal (in that my figure will be cheaper than the actual one), but it is something of a working model.

(Daishi Prime)
Chassis: 100 Ton Assault (5.918,640 CBills)
Armor: 608 points FF/Clan (319,984 CBills)
Engine: 300 XL (4,900,000 CBills)
Weapons:
- 1x LRM-10 (200,000 CBills)
- 4x ER Large Laser (1,600,000 CBills)
- 4x Medium Pulse Laser (480,000 CBills)
- 2x Ultra AC/5 (800,000 CBills)
Ammo:
- 2 Tons Ultra AC/5 Ammo (18,000 CBills)
- 1 Ton LRM Ammo (30,060 CBills)
Equipment:
- 10x Double Heat Sinks (120,000 CBills)
- 3x CASE (300,000 CBills)

Sub-total: 14,686,684 CBills
Sub-total MC: 5875 MC

Not so bad right? Right, but there's a few things being left out of this figure. Such as the TT equation that PGI will apply that goes into basic Mech building. So let's go ahead and add those multipliers.

Posted Image

14,686,684 x 1.25 (Omni) x (1+[100 Tons / 100]) = 36,716,710 CBills

Total: 36,716,710 CBills
Total MC: 14,687

And suddenly we have a problem. This Daishi Prime ends up costing roughly $65 USD. Especially when you consider that the Daishi Prime is one of the cheaper Configurations. You must then realize that this is an absolutely inordinate amount of money. So much money that they'll never actually move more than a few units via MC; which is entirely counter-intuitive to the way that PGI plans on making said money in the first place. It is only logical that PGI would never squander such an opportunity to bring in additional revenue. Especially since the cost of a single Daishi Prime will cost roughly the same as TWO Hero Atlas's. For reference on how PGI determines their MC pricing and what the future Hero Mechs will cost, reference this thread: here.

PGI's Possible Solution

The solution that PGI has is one that we can clearly see them working towards. Originally PGI announced that they'd be doing a sale on Dragons for a meager 20% on January 25th. Based off a poll taken during this sale, a very small number of the population actually took advantage of it. For the most part, the Community seemed to believe it was a rather lackluster offer. They then surprised us a week later and cut the MC price of all the current Trial Mechs in half, the response to this offer was met with a significantly greater positive response. From there they did the bi-weekly update, implemented the new color palettes and adjusted the MC values of these items. They also did something that is quite unusual: they refunded MC and CBills to account for these price changes. And this in particular is very important for the point I am going to make, so please remember it. From there we currently have the 30% Medium Mech Madness deal that isn't quite as good as the 50% deal, but it is still a better discount than the original 20%.

When I see these constant fluctuations in deals, I assume that PGI is gathering information based on sales to try (as Russ has recently stated doing) and hone in on a specific series of discounts that the community likes. Now since PGI has already refunded MC and CBills once before, they have set a precedent that they will undoubtedly happen again. Since the Clan Mechs by and large will be abhorrently expensive and not sell very well at all (Seriously, $65 USD a Mech?), they will have to adjust the MC prices in order to make them more appealing for more players. Now how can PGI do this? Simple. Take the current MC values of (non-Hero) Mechs and slash them in half. PGI then only has to refund a portion of the MC back to the player's account for these adjustments with no fuss from the Community. With this change PGI will be able to add the Clan Mechs at more “reasonable” MC prices that the community will have already been used to; while allowing more frugal players to suddenly buy Mechs that were previously out of their price range. And that's pretty much how I foresee the addition of OmniMechs going.

There is a reason why they cost so much in c-bills. IT'S A CLAN MECH. It's better than the Atlas in every way. If you make it cheap, no one will pilot an atlas.

#27 StalaggtIKE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

View PostTaizan, on 11 February 2013 - 01:08 AM, said:

As Clan mechs would be like a higher tier of mechs, I could see the prices for current IS mechs degrade,just like in other MMOs, when a new item tier gets introduced.

My exact thoughts, the IS mechs will become cheap and the Clan mechs will take the place of the pricier current mechs.

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 11 February 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#28 sC4r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 475 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

View PostNorris J Packard, on 11 February 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

I'm not dismissing the potential of high cost items and Mechs (hell, I am going to buy the Hero Atlas). But for the price of a single Daishi, I'd be able to buy TWO Hero Atlas's as I pointed out. That's pretty ridiculous. Especially since the Hero Atlas is most likely going to be the most expensive IS Mech that will be added in the foreseeable future.

i read the topic until here
this one strcuck

you see we dont know how its gonna be balanced
but man if IS mechs will be only able to mount IS equipment and clan mechs only clan equipment you can bet that one daishi may take on 2 atlases (approximately same skill) and still the daishi will have a chance to win
1v1 though atlas vs daishi.... well daishi tears atlas apart
only thing this may turn the tables towards atlas favor is melee combat which is not yet implemented

so if the price will be so high... well i believe peeps will buy it anyways if its that effective (not me im not that crazy or rich ;))
also there were mentioned wot... damn there are also very expensive tanks yet still peeps keep buyng them

#29 Thirdstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostViterbi, on 11 February 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

This thread has been moved back to the General section of the forums at the OP's request.

In general, we're trying to keep the forums as organized as possible, so this was moved into what seemed to be a related sub-forum (Clans). It has been brought to our attention that this thread may actually be more appropriate for the General Forums, as it is mainly about economy.

Sorry about that confusion, there's some great info here. Carry on!

Excellent. Thank you for this. Hopefully the thread will live up to your expectations.

#30 Harmin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationSussex, UK

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

This is very valuable information, thank you. Personally I don't mind either way. The cheaper they are the less trouble / expense for me to have one, the more expensive they are the more exclusive they'll be when I get one.

I'm a 30 something professional and I generally consider about £100 a month to be my frivolous online spending budget which in the past I have spent on online poker, dating sites, MMOs etc. If I were to spend playing MWO every day in the evening then they're welcome to that sort of money. It would take a very very special gimmick to make me want to drop the entire months budget on a virtual item, but yeah, I think a Daishi would fit that bill.

-Armin

Edited by Harmin, 11 February 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#31 Greyfyl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

OP has too much time on his hands.

#32 Iwaslost

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

View PostTaj, on 11 February 2013 - 02:17 AM, said:

I do not see any problem for that price. 37kk c-bills is not so very hard to get. Just a little bit of time and grinding. You want to have cool mecha? Grinding! do not have time? Pay MC. Simple. It's F2T.

Clan mechs need to cost so much. They are very rare, so... grinding! ;)

BTW: 37,000,000 / 150,000 (per game) = ~ 247 games ... average game takes about 5-6 minutes, so You need to play about 21h to get Daishi... it's 3h per day, and in week u can buy it.

OK, always playing with the PUG and win one to five games. You will get Daishi in 40h... OMG u need play 2-3 weeks... this is unacceptable :D :D

So... I'll say it again. Where is the problem?

The problem is for people who have jobs, relationships, school, kids, and other time limiting things. Not everyone has 40 hours to dedicate to a game for a single mech. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone.

#33 HighTest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationKitchener, ON

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

I think clan prices HAVE to be pricey in the current interation of this game, as long as the devs are still making some effort to follow canonical history.

When the Clans first invaded the IS, no one knew who there were. And certainly no one in the IS had access to their tech. The only way to see a Clan mech was in battle, and that meant that if you could get your hands on one, it would already have had to be destroyed.

In 3050, I'm pretty sure that there was no "Clan Mechs 'R' Us" store where you could just go buy a nice spiffy new Clan mech for your IS battlegroup.

And even if you could find a mech which was largely intact, at this point I think it's safe to say that the major governments and houses would be confiscating them for engineering and R&D purposes. If a merc corp got that lucky, I'm sure they'd try to sell it to the highest bidder, assuming they'd even sell it at all. I'd bet governments would give up an entire lance of brand new IS mechs to get a largely intact Clan mech at this point. Maybe more.

IS prices wouldn't be dropping at this time either. In fact, they'd probably go up, as IS forces try to bolster their mech legions against the decidedly superior enemy that was invading. Supply and demand.

So... I guess long story short, It doesn't make sense to try and balance the economy at this point, as the economy is still being established. If PGI and IGP want players in Clan mechs, they will probably need to come up with a non-economy-based way of doing so.

Remember, it only becomes P2W if:
- you can only acquire a Clan mech with MC
- Clan mechs are matches 1-on-1 vs IS mechs in the same weight class.

If you group teams like 3/4 lances vs. 2 stars (12/16 vs 10) or use matching battle ratings or whetever, it's not a P2W issue.As long as the game setup has some checks and balances, Clan tech is not (and should not) be a guarantee to victory.

Edit: typos

Edited by HighTest, 11 February 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#34 Barnaby Jones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 434 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

Just to stir the pot a little...

Given the mechanics of omni slots I cant see PGI sticking with the three chassis methodolegy. The nly variance is the slots and if slots can take all weapon types that severely limits the flexibility in creating multiple variants that are actually worth being considered different enough to be its own variant.

#35 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

In all likelyhood, I doubt you will need to buy three clan mechs to master an omnimech, simply because omnis are not variants in the conventional sense. Since one omnimech can be setup as any of it's "variants", it's probably more likely you will have to spend more xp on the one chassis to master it.

#36 christophermx4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 113 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

PGI is in the business of making money - if they price the Clan Mechs at insane prices, no one's going to buy them.

That said, I could easily PGI offering some kind of Clan "bundle", where for 60 bucks, you get access to two or three Clan Mechs. Prices for IS Mechs would dropping accordingly - though I would think you could equip Clan equipment on IS Mechs.

I think the OP nailed it.

Edited by christophermx4, 11 February 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#37 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

although i have to admit it´s a very well thought out speculation, it doesn´t change the fact that we have 100% absolutely no clue how PGI will handle the Clans... so it is that: speculation ;)

but i can promise you this: if the MC costs for Mechs (especially clan mechs) WOULD exceed the 40$ barrier, i´d never touch them with a ten feet pole... (actually, i won´t touch any mech that exceeds the 20-30$ area anyway)...but that´s just my opinion and part of the limits that i set for myself :D

Edited by Alex Warden, 11 February 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#38 TanE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 757 posts
  • LocationIn investigation of the Ghostbear Dominion

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

Think about this:

What happens, when the Clan Mechs go another way? My idea is:

Clan Mechs are OMNI-Mechs. So why should I buy another chassis, when you can use ALL variants on a SINGLE chassis?

Maybe we only have to buy ONE ClanOmniMech! At this point of view 36.000.000 is much, but not much more than 3 Atlas/Atlai/Atlases ( ;) ) on after the other. Now you only have to pay for expensive weapons and gear, maybe in MC as an alternative.

How could the variants be implemented in the MechLab?

This could easily be solved by a "variant button". The player have to choose the variant he likes to drive and due to the chosen variant the Mech get the slotlayout of this special variant. When clicking another variant the Mech withdraw all weapons and is ready for customization.

If we follow this path, how do we get the Elite/Master Skills? My thoughts for this:

The player have to buy the Prime variant and have to skill is to basic or elite, as a kind of endgaming, to unlock another variant - chosen by the player.
To master the chassisvariants, the player have to unlock 3 variants. Then the master tree is free for skilling.

I think, it's simple and "special".

Hero "Variants" could be introduced, too, by buying special variants, that includes a special paintjob, when used.

Edited by TanE, 11 February 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#39 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

View PostTanE, on 11 February 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

Think about this:

What happens, when the Clan Mechs go another way? My idea is:

Clan Mechs are OMNI-Mechs. So why should I buy another chassis, when you can use ALL variants on a SINGLE chassis?

Maybe we only have to buy ONE ClanOmniMech! At this point of view 36.000.000 is much, but not much more than 3 Atlas/Atlai/Atlases ( :D ) on after the other. Now you only have to pay for expensive weapons and gear, maybe in MC as an alternative.

If we follow this path, how do we get the Elite/Master Skills? My thoughts for this:

The player have to buy the Prime variant and have to skill is to basic or elite, as a kind of endgaming, to unlock another variant - chosen by the player.
To master the chassisvariants, the player have to unlock 3 variants. Then the master tree is free for skilling.

I think, it's simple and "special".

while interesting, on the skill part, it would still be 3X the MC price for an atlas, which i am never gonna pay ;) so PGI better comes up with reasonable MC prices over all...

Edited by Alex Warden, 11 February 2013 - 10:26 AM.

#40 Xenophontis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

I really have no problem with them nerfing Clan Mechs to make them more viable from a balance stand point. Maybe that'll change the prices too.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users