• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 429 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

With anticipation of highlander, jump jets are now useable on heavy mechs for in brawl maneuverability and evasion. I'm talking about cataphract and catapult brawlers employing them in a fight. My 3D has been reconfigured from jumping sniper with XL to jumping brawler with standard engine and AC20. It's now a jump version of 1X brawler, whereas before it was a jump version of a Muromets sniper.

#2 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

And you will still die a horrid death thinking that jumping will save you from the savvy player shooting you on the way up and down ;)

So many times I see this attempted, soo many mid air deaths resulted from it.

#3 zhaocore

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

Use JJs more to maneuver and get to places the enemy can't and you'll be fine. Not actual brawling >.>

#4 Leimrey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

Actually, jump jet brawling is less viable now than it was before, because your hitboxes no longer get magically displaced when you jump jet due to netcode improvements. A good shot will core you mid air with ease, because you're usually moving slower than you could on your feet. Also, every good player knows that a jumper has a moment of vulnerability when he lands on the ground as his throttle is reset to 0 and he has to accelerate all over again. A smart player might not even shoot you while you are in the air, he could just wait for you to land and then melt your cockpit or center torso with a well placed alpha, since you will be stationary for a moment.

Jump Jet brawling is only viable against some mechs (like the ac20 cat) which have very bad torso or arm pitch, since it allows you to be immune to their fire during jump jetting.

Edited by Leimrey, 11 February 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#5 Soda Popinsky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

I've used this to some effect in an almost stock CTF-3D. I came around a corner and found myself in a narrow area between buildings facing a Splatcat. I couldn't really get around behind, so I just rushed forward and jumped over to try to get to their 6, and get some distance.

I also tried it on a Stalker, but miscalculated my jump, and landed sort of on top (not a DFA since I don't think I dealt much damage), slid down the front and ended up right in his sights and his alpha.

I'd only use it when you're right in their face, as a small displacement requires a larger aiming adjustment. If you're jumping 50 meters away, you're just a clay pigeon.

Edited by Soda Popinsky, 11 February 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#6 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

I am just waiting on my TBT-5J.

#7 Spinning Burr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 429 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

I just see it as another degree of freedom in movement rather than standing still. It wont magically evade gunfire, but you now have a fifth direction to move your mech to make aiming slightly more difficult and make you a bit more unpredictable. Plus the turning speed while hovering is a terrific advantage.

#8 Barnaby Jones

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 434 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

***** shooting.

Im at work so I cant photoshop a ctf3d on the image of Obama ***** shooting.

Wtf ... ***** is censored...

S k e e t shooting.

#9 Booran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

I wouldn't use JJs as a tool for brawling, as others have said here, but more a means to get into a better firing position/scouting or peek-a-snipe. Also get to objectives and enemies' flanks quicker.

#10 Merky Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 871 posts
  • LocationRidin down the street in my 6-4

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

I like jumping around with my C4, works well on some of the short buildings in frozen city. Get bad pilot to chase you in circles around building, pop up-alpha, keep running, pop up-alpha, rinse and repeat. All the badtlases seem to enjoy it ;)

Or using them to flank down jenner highway and then jump up behind the LRM boats, and then killing all the LRM boats to death.

#11 Corpsecandle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

As long as forward moment is lost on landing, JJ brawling is going to be a bad idea.

#12 Darth JarJar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 263 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast, U.S.A.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

Been jump brawling since CB, and it always has been viable. In fact, I have been accused of 'exploiting' on more than one occasion (which just pegs the complainer as a n00bskillet that never played in any of the previous planetary leagues).

Edited by von Bremerhaven, 11 February 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#13 Havyek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

Jumping and landing is a sure fire way to get alphaed.

If no one else has noticed, watch a spider or other light jumpjet, then land. There is a brief moment where they stand still.

#14 Gnume

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPrattville, AL

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

Works great for me ...

#15 Mike Townsend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationRedmond

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

They're handy for a faster turn against lighter mechs or if you do need to reverse direction fast and taking a hit is an acceptable tradeoff for taking it on the front Armor. Not a generally useful tactic. They need to fix the forward movement thing, though. If you're running in a Jenner, jump, don't turn, and land it shouldn't kill velocity. You should lose speed based on how far you turn in midair, ranging from no loss on landing if you don't turn to losing all momentum at 90 Degrees. Maybe 60.

#16 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

I saw some SRM Cats using Jump Jets to good effect in brawls.

Only arm weapons can aim that far up, so the more you are in the air, the less damage you take from mechs in brawling range. Mechs at medium to longer range, though, will not have this problem.

I think it can be used to good effect, though.

Naturally, a skilled opponent might wait and alpha you when you land. I am... not always that smrt.

Edited by Kraven Kor, 11 February 2013 - 10:19 AM.

#17 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Works great jumping over and behind **** like brawler stalkers, while turning mid air to angle yourself to either get the **** out of dodge, or alpha it's back. And also jumping over buildings to get to places/ poptarting.

also opens up lanes of fire for people shooting under you..

Obviously, if someone else is waiting for you to land, it's going to probably hurt..

Edited by Ghogiel, 11 February 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#18 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

I was spectating a gauss Cataphract yesterday who shot like three of those "pop tarts" out of md air. It was very entertaining, and it made me realize something. The JJ heavy brawler mechs are only a problem if you don't know about them. Once you see them jumping around, they're just like any other threat. Call them out and focus fire. Whenever I see an enemy mech doing it, he's certainly going to get some of my AC/20/LL/PPC fire.

#19 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

JJ's work well for splatcats as well as you can sort of focus the damage (against some mechs) to more the upper torso/head region rather than all over the front.

They also work well vs. torso-focused mechs because you can get out of the line of fire of their torso-mounted weaponry.

On the other hand, the moment you start jumping, your trajectory becomes entirely smooth and predictable, and generally speaking the act of jumping pushes you out of any cover you may have had. This means that you just gave a mech with arm mounted weaponry(or a sufficiently distant mech with torso mounted weapons) the easiest target shooting he can have. I *love* firing at jumping mechs.

#20 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

There's reasons for jumping in brawl ranges. It's good for getting briefly out of LOS, for example- like jumping over a hill and coming down facing towards the inevitable derpy kill-hungry pilot who follows you on foot, only to get a face full of your arm mounted guns. (bonus if you can get him to chase you to do it again)

It's also good, as noted for being the guy in front. Alpha, hit your jets, maneuver for a flanking shot while the guy behind you grabs his attention. Jump jets let you clear choke points quickly and efficiently and stops your back armor from being the target's first layer of armor shielding when someone chances poking their guns around your big shiny metal tuckus.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users