The Lagger's Guide To Mwo

1 reply to this topic

#1 Magicbullet141

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationHaappajarvi, Capellan March, Federated Commonwealth

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

If you are a player with high ping like I am (600-900) you may- er, no, scratch that, you WILL find it difficult to hit enemy mechs, and even though it looks like you are tagging them with your lasers, in digital reality, you aren't. Not being able to shoot people in a war simulation ruins the entire point of the game, but thanks to the ability to adapt your gameplay to lag, you can still play and wreck some havoc!

Precision weapons are totally out of the equation here, you will seldom hit with them, so toss out your lasers and ppcs. Instead, get a mech with at least two hardpoints for missles and get LRM launchers, they aim for you! If you have energy hardpoints as well, get flamers because you don't have to be very accurate with them.

Until you have built up the c-bills to buy a LRM based mech, I recommend using the trial Atlas AS7-D, it has a LRM-20 launcher with decent ammo. I have heard that the trial mechs rotate once in a while, so just pick one with LRM launchers.

When you have the funds, I recommend buying a Catapult CPLT-C1, because of the missle and energy hardpoints. Make sure to get plenty of LRM ammo (about 6 will last a long match) and C.A.S.E it to prevent unpleasant magazine explosions. The LRM-15 or 20 is fine (I use 15 because of weight restrictions). Jump jets optional.

Now about the gameplay, it can be a complete crapshoot whether or not you have good spotters on your team. Hillsides make for a good place to camp and fire away while staying on cover but you may have to maintain a line of sight if you have nobody spotting for you. Avoid front line combat like the plague. If any light mechs try to get you, try to lure them into tight quarters (Like the downtown in River City) and fry them with the flamers! Oh the joy I get from cooking a Raven...

On a good game I can get multiple kill assist, components destroyed, sometimes a kill, and 200+ dmg dealt. On my best game so far (Caustic Valley, conquest) I finished alive with 3-4 kill assist, 2 components destroyed, 1 kill, and 480 damage dealt.

You can adapt to enjoy MWO like any other player, I hope this guide will help people. Happy hunting!

#2 AnnoyingCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Locationcat planet for cats

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

Or
If you lag, don't play at all

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users