Which Mech Do You Fear The Least?

133 replies to this topic

#101 Protoculture

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

Let's see... Well that's completely dependent on what *I'm* piloting. I would have to say over all it's the Spider though, any Spider. Having fun shooting them out of midair is their best contribution to the game. I've got 3 of them, I've literally gone through over 2000 rounds of machine gun ammo standing still and firing in to the back of a Heavy and not even penetrated armor too. Spiders are heavily outgunned in all variants.

As an aside, I heard about how ****** Cicada's are supposed to be but actually mine, and the 3M in particular, are pretty sturdy. It can do go over 150, is tougher than a comparable light, and I've found is pretty good and either flanking or rushing in to take out a heavily wounded enemy who retreated behind enemy lines and then getting out again (albeit usually half red and missing a lot of armor).

I like to think of them as miniature Stalkers, and I think that might have been the intent. It does get torn apart by other Mediums though, I've seen Hunchbacks that take more damage to kill than my Atlas.

#102 operator0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

To those of you who say that the Dragon doesn't have any good load-outs, I agree unless we're talking about the Flame. To wit:

I'm a decent pilot in it to boot.

#103 Xenosphobatic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 213 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

Ballistic hunchbacks with their gigantic HIT ME HERE right torso, Dragons with their I LOSE MY ARMS I LOSE MY WEAPONS loadouts, and Stalkers with their I CANT TWIST MY TORSO are my personal favs to see.
Also, solo Streak Commandos that don't have BAP are pretty funny when I just shut down in front of them. They stand there, confused, before eventually running off to annoy someone else.

#104 Taizan

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Probably the Stalker. Such a clumsy mech.

#105 Huntsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Guys, you can argue for the Dragon because 'o this and because 'o that...at the end of the day though, based on months of my own ingame experience. If you're in one, and you run into me, your life is mine. That's not just arrogance, that's historical fact.

I can't tell ya the endless opponents I've run into..."I love the Dragon, I'm so good at this game...blah blah blah." Well whatcha are now is a pile 'o rubble aintcha.

#106 ElLocoMarko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Dragon (not Flame), Spider, LRM boats.

All this Dragon hate makes me want to unmothball it and see what I can get out of it until I remember... oh yeah... the net code fix that made lights easier to hit made dragons completely unmissable. I'll try to find some splat cats to taunt with my speed but if I remember correctly, a K2 gauss cat will absolutely wreck me.

#107 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Any assault.

(I pilot heavies and assaults)

#108 TheMightyWashburn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 281 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

I have a few words for those of you who said cicada, hunchback, awesome, and as for lights, they are not meant to be scary.

Im my cicada I easily get 2-4 kills. The thing is an absolute beast. 6 MLs going 151 kph with near maxed armor. I core and leg mechs dozens of tons above me. (third mastered mech)

Hunchback, ahhh good ol' hunchie. My first mastery. The sway back is amazing. And recently Ive been pouring on the pain with my AC/20.

And finally, the awesome. My love. In one, I lay on the PPC pain thick. In another, I run 85 kph dealing out damage like some kind of giant damage dealing machine. And dont underestimate the one with LRMs and LLs.

Centurions arent scary. But I swear they are nearly immortal sometimes.

#109 EGH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

That's why i love to get into my spider and strike the unsuspecting enemies who ignore me, ending up with 1000+ dmg per game!!

#110 Huntsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

View PostEGH, on 12 February 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

That's why i love to get into my spider and strike the unsuspecting enemies who ignore me, ending up with 1000+ dmg per game!!

With the assistance of the new netcode, that's why I learned not to ignore you light mechs. A quick alpha strike typically ends matters inside .782 seconds.

#111 Xenosphobatic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 213 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

View PostTheMightyWashburn, on 12 February 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

Im my cicada I easily get 2-4 kills. The thing is an absolute beast. 6 MLs going 151 kph with near maxed armor. I core and leg mechs dozens of tons above me. (third mastered mech)

I think that people get used to people with bad configs that they just wipe the floor with. My 3M is, I'm sure, just like yours and a high speed heavily armored death dealing machine.

#112 Rigmoran

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 33 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 11 February 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Really though, probably the Cicada. Because seriously, who the **** is scared of a Cicada?

You should be. I have an LBX, 4 Med lasers, ECM, and I can still do about 120 kph. I can and will sneak up behind some poor soul and probably drop him with the second shot just as he realizes he got shot in the back.

#113 FrostCollar

• 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Spiders. Extremely limiting hardpoints and thin armor. I've never seen any do significant damage and I don't find them very hard to hit in the air due to the game's very predictable jump arcs. I did see one AC/2 sniper variant, though. He was easy to kill but I regretted doing it. There was a pilot with guts.

#114 Kerrisis

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 95 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

Centurion: Take that right arm away and they've got nothing.
Dragon: Their fear factor has dropped dramatically since the removal of knockdowns/DragonBowling. Annoyingly good tanks though.
Cicada: It's basically designed to hunt Lights, so only Light pilots really need to fear them. I don't.

#115 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

View PostKerrisis, on 13 February 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:

Centurion: Take that right arm away and they've got nothing.

I laugh when people kill the right arm on my Centurions. None of them mount a ballistic.
You'd be amazed at what 3 SRM6 can do pt blank when mounted on a mech that's going 90+kph and is tough to disable.

#116 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

Cataphracts! I don't fear them. Wide as Dartboards. Easy to headshot. Easy to kill. You can't miss them.

#117 Raidyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

I've never seen so much wrong in a thread.

Cataphracts and Stalkers less threatening than Spiders? Really? Really guys?

The mech with two energy hardpoints in it's CT?

#118 Sean von Steinike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:14 AM

Anything boating nothing but LRMs.

#119 Kerrisis

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 95 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 13 February 2013 - 01:52 AM, said:

I laugh when people kill the right arm on my Centurions. None of them mount a ballistic.
You'd be amazed at what 3 SRM6 can do pt blank when mounted on a mech that's going 90+kph and is tough to disable.

That's a damn good idea; You can get your hits in while they're concentrating on unused parts. You're in the minority though - Most Cents I've fought have relied on that (easily removable) ballistic arm.

View PostThe Birdeater, on 13 February 2013 - 02:02 AM, said:

Cataphracts! I don't fear them. Wide as Dartboards. Easy to headshot. Easy to kill. You can't miss them.

Really? You might be in for a shock if I meet you on the battlefield when I'm riding my quad AC5 CTF-4X then. =D

Edited by Kerrisis, 13 February 2013 - 02:34 AM.

#120 Goldmember

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:41 AM

Streak Cat. They are usually piloted by very bad pilots and if you stop they for reasons I cannot imagine they usually also stop. All those SSRMs cannot outgun and AC Dragon that keeps shooting you in the face... Plus they have no range, so if you have a couple of large lasers on an assault they never even get close.

The dragon is a difficult mech to pilot, and I think it has a specific role to fill, and things go pear shaped if you try to step outside that role. A dragon must move at least 90 km/h, and it should always pick fights with lighter opponents. Avoid heavies and assaults if possible, never stop moving and chase down all the lights coming close to your LRM boats. Lights are often used to take one hit in the back while running away, but with a high speed dragon you usually get three shots in their back which is enough to kill them. With collisions coming back they will be truly feared by light pilots... Just do not make the mistake in thinking that it is a heavy brawler, because it will drop in a matter of seconds.

22 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 22 guests, 0 anonymous users