http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b5e94c7a0daa098

SSRM looks good on your build.

#22 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:53 AM

View PostMack1, on 13 February 2013 - 03:16 AM, said:

I will be on later today and will give a few of your suggestions a try, starting with the LL swap to ML so I can pack more ammo, I guess it makes more sense, I really love the shotguns though so don;t want to go with the AC20.

Then will throw in a 325 Engine like you suggest, it does look a good build that, cheers.

Don't hesitate Mack to record another video showing how your corrected build is performing ^^

#23 p00k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

View PostShade4x, on 12 February 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

3 things, LBX's don't suck anymore then SRM's suck. 15 shots for LBX's and 6 shots for SRM's is not enough ammo, and finally 3, Atlas's are about close ranged SUSTAINED DPS. LRM's, and high heat builds essentially kill your team. High heat means you shut down in the middle of a fight, and LRM's mean the next heaviest guy who has 2/3rds or less of your armor is tanking.

no, lbx's suck a lot more than srm's. because while they both spread their damage, leading to less true effective damage on target, srm's offset it by otherwise doing an exorbitant amount of damage for their tonnage and space requirements. consider a single srm6, doing 15 damage for a 3 ton weapon, vs lbx10 doing 10 damage for an 11 ton weapon. that's why lbx's are generally considered so inferior, because scattering your damage is viable with srm's largely because they just do a crapton of damage

#24 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

View Postp00k, on 13 February 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

no, lbx's suck a lot more than srm's. because while they both spread their damage, leading to less true effective damage on target, srm's offset it by otherwise doing an exorbitant amount of damage for their tonnage and space requirements. consider a single srm6, doing 15 damage for a 3 ton weapon, vs lbx10 doing 10 damage for an 11 ton weapon. that's why lbx's are generally considered so inferior, because scattering your damage is viable with srm's largely because they just do a crapton of damage

That and 1 AC/20 is only 3 tons heavier than 1 LBX-10 (+2 tons vs AC/10). 20 damage, 1 bullet, less weight, big booms.

#25 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostStingz, on 13 February 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

That and 1 AC/20 is only 3 tons heavier than 1 LBX-10 (+2 tons vs AC/10). 20 damage, 1 bullet, less weight, big booms.

And less ammo.

I actually find that dual LBX mounted in the Atlas's torso back a nasty punch at close range. No, they don't have the 20 pin point damage of an AC20 but at range you're dividing 20 damage across the entire surface of a mech's center, left and right torso armor. If used with weapons that deal increased, pinpoint damage (like large lasers, for example) you can use the SRMs and LBX to make openings and the large lasers to exploit them. Also, a missed AC20 is 20 damage down the tube. An LBX has a wider spread and several pellets might hit.

The LBX is far from a perfect weapon system and absolutely needs a buff but it's not this useless weapon people like to go on about. To be fair, though, the Atlas is probably the best platform for the LBX as the ability to mount 2 LBX10s and have them fire through the same weapon port greatly improves their functionality and the Atlas has the tons to spare to make it happen.

On a side note I would give my left nut for an honest to goodness LBX20.

Edited by Raso, 13 February 2013 - 03:47 PM.

#26 p00k

• 1,661 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

View PostStingz, on 13 February 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

well the comparison to an ac20 brings in all sorts of different issues, most notably lbx's have a much faster ROF and putting 2 of them in your RT gives you 20 item hp worth of weaponry (i.e. harder to crit out)

my point was more that weapons that scatter their damage are viable only when their damage output greatly outshines comparable tonnage/crit/heat weapons that concentrate them, which the srm does but the lbx does not

View PostRaso, on 13 February 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

If used with weapons that deal increased, pinpoint damage (like large lasers, for example) you can use the SRMs and LBX to make openings and the large lasers to exploit them. Also, a missed AC20 is 20 damage down the tube. An LBX has a wider spread and several pellets might hit.

alternatively, with a little marksmanship, you can use a pinpoint damage weapon to make openings even faster and then other pinpoint weapons to exploit them. yes, this game is still has first person shooter elements, and being a good shot helps. the lbx may have a wider spread, and several pellets might hit, but they'll most likely hit non-targeted areas. and damage to a component you're not trying to destroy is wasted damage

Edited by p00k, 13 February 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#27 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Personally I think LBXs are inferior ACs on anything other than a super fast mover. If you are running a Dragon, Cent-D, or Cicada, the LBX might find a place in your play style just to let you dump and run. Obviously it would be better to put accurate damage in one place, but the shotty may help some who have trouble moving and shooting. I say that in a totally non-judgmental way.

For an Atlas, you move slow, you fight other assaults that like to slug it out, and the enemy has to come to you eventually. I think the AC20 will always be the better choice.

See? Told you the argument was inevitable!

#28 MightyK

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:15 AM

No matter what I try, I always come back to the 2PPC, AC/20, Streak Atlas.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e97e36bb7986a6b
Its just so well rounded, such a punch AND managable heat... for me its perfect.

An alternative would be without AMS and 1.5t more armor in the legs. I never got legged in an atlas, so I use the AMS.

#29 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:09 AM

View Postp00k, on 13 February 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

alternatively, with a little marksmanship, you can use a pinpoint damage weapon to make openings even faster and then other pinpoint weapons to exploit them. yes, this game is still has first person shooter elements, and being a good shot helps. the lbx may have a wider spread, and several pellets might hit, but they'll most likely hit non-targeted areas. and damage to a component you're not trying to destroy is wasted damage

And in a perfect world every shot will always hit where you aimed and lights and blitzkrieging mediums will slow down long enough to get a bead on them. But one's own skill offensive skill is compounded by the defensive skills and equipment of others. When used properly 2 LBX10s can spread around 15-ish damage across the 3 sectors of a mech's torso. Yes, an AC20 will deal all of that to a single spot (and I do love me some AC20) but the LBX10 isn't made for pinpoint damage it's made for stripping a mech's armor. The LBX is a support weapon and shines best when used in a team setting and when paired with other weapons.

It does, however, under-preform in it's current implementation. I'm hoping it gets a crit bonus and maybe even a bonus on damage per pellet. Regardless for every point of damage I waste I gain another point in a much higher, much more imortant leaderboard. Cool point. :lol: The LBX is a giant shotgun and that's awesome and fun to use.

#30 Mack1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 596 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

My updated Build

#31 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

Glad to see you kept the LBX on!

#32 Mack1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 596 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostRaso, on 14 February 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

Glad to see you kept the LBX on!

I will never drop them, I don't care if they are not as good as other AC's, you simply can't substitute the feeling you get firing them at point blank range blowing the **** out of a wounded Mech as I did in the video to that Stalker, it was awesome.

#33 Malsumis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

I can not wait for larger maps. That will change many players' minds about stacking medium lasers on Assaults that move slowly. I love seeing the short ranged assaults on Caustic Valley. I love to pick them off with my Flame, or even my C1 with 3 LL's. This game as it is played right now is just brawling. Most players can't do much outside of 400m unless the are aiming at a target standing still (which I see way too much of).

Please give us larger maps PGI. I want to be able to take advantage of my ERPPC's or ERLL's. I want pilots who think medium lasers and srm builds are the best to see what happens when we have larger maps that require more tactics. Please do not make large maps that are just big cities crammed with buildings that play exaclty the same as the maps we have now. Give us some open maps with larger open areas. Take a look at some of the MW4 maps. There were a good mix of large, long ranged maps, and also plenty of smaller brawling maps. We need more maps ASAP

#34 StalaggtIKE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostMalsumis, on 14 February 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

I can not wait for larger maps. That will change many players' minds about stacking medium lasers on Assaults that move slowly. I love seeing the short ranged assaults on Caustic Valley. I love to pick them off with my Flame, or even my C1 with 3 LL's. This game as it is played right now is just brawling. Most players can't do much outside of 400m unless the are aiming at a target standing still (which I see way too much of).

Please give us larger maps PGI. I want to be able to take advantage of my ERPPC's or ERLL's. I want pilots who think medium lasers and srm builds are the best to see what happens when we have larger maps that require more tactics. Please do not make large maps that are just big cities crammed with buildings that play exaclty the same as the maps we have now. Give us some open maps with larger open areas. Take a look at some of the MW4 maps. There were a good mix of large, long ranged maps, and also plenty of smaller brawling maps. We need more maps ASAP

You have a point there. I find that ACs are a good way to circumvent this shortcoming. I run dual U/AC5 on my D-DC and have no problem striking targets at the start of the round on River City. While up close I still maintain an edge with my mlasers. But I look forward to larger maps. A change up on tactics would be nice.

Edited by StalaggtIKE, 14 February 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#35 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

View PostMack1, on 14 February 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

I will never drop them, I don't care if they are not as good as other AC's, you simply can't substitute the feeling you get firing them at point blank range blowing the **** out of a wounded Mech as I did in the video to that Stalker, it was awesome.

I agree in full! They are fun weapons and not nearly as useless as others make them out to be! They have a cool factor that, IMO, out weighs what technical limitations they may have.

#36 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

I'm super glad my suggestions worked! Thanks for the shout-out Mack.

#37 Mack1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 596 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

View PostMalsumis, on 14 February 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

Totally agree, am not really a brawling type, most of my Mechs are LL/PPC/Gauss builds and would love to see some huge maps.

#38 assiprinz

• PipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 54 posts
  • LocationX: 15.24 Y: 388.91, New Oslo

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

This is the first build I ever share. I have elite for my cats (which make really good beginner's 'mechs) and looked for something new, which additionally would put me in a position where I can support other players better, instead of hunting for kills on my own.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...167e88b4e362545

I got an Atlas and found Mack's build especially liking the dual LB-10X ACs, which had not enough ammo in the original build for my taste, and tweaked around a bit to make it viable for my playstyle.

I put a ER PPC in the right arm for sniping and removing ECM effects from further away targets. Left the left arm blank with an AMS for shielding. Having only one energy weapon in the right arm doesn't bother me too much, cause I have decent aiming and don't miss to much. I switched the SRMs for LRM20s, for long-range harrassment and to compliment the anti-ECM PPC. Since alpine peaks, I had the feeling I would have to build my mechs more versatile, not only focusing on only one situation (close-range builds or stuff like the dual AC/20 Cat will get you nowhere on alpine peaks).

This build gets me around 500-1000 dmg per round. But be careful like with every Atlas build: If you don't have that thing called situational awareness, and you manage to loose your team, prepare to be shot to scrap metal. So keep an eye on the map, this baby is slow, and you will have a hard time trying to catch up with a flight of catapults. Nonetheless, your ECM will hoard players around you in PUGs, just be careful to not get lost halfway into battle.

In a group where there is someone watching your back constantly, this build can make a good difference.

If you have feedback, let me know. i am still starting building stuff.

#39 Orgasmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

This thing is short on ammo and will get ripped to shreds in Alpine and upcoming Desert.

#40 Mack1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 596 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:36 AM

View PostOrgasmo, on 21 February 2013 - 12:12 AM, said:

This thing is short on ammo and will get ripped to shreds in Alpine and upcoming Desert.

I made an updated build, it's in this thread and the ammo has been addressed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users