Attention All Newbies (Beginner Tips)

1 reply to this topic

#1 DeathjesterUK

• PipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • 81 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

Greetings to you all. For those of you dont know me, let me just say, I know what you are going through right now. I know that you dropped into your first fight and was probably horribly mutilated before you could even figure out what was going on. We have all been there and we know how you feels. The good news is, if you stick with it, you will get better and you will find that you are better able to figure out what is going on on the battlefield.

What I want to do here is give a little advice and guidance from my own, somewhat jarring experience when I first started playing and tell you what I learned.

1> To begin with, things move fast, or at least they will seem to at first. Your first few games will seem frantic to you and you wont have a clue what is going on. However, as time goes on and you get more games under your belt, you will find that the game...slows down and you are able to deal with the speed at which the combat moves. You will find that your reflexes get faster and combat seems to slow, though it actually isnt. This isnt something that you can learn, its something that simply happens the more you play.

2> You will find that killing things is hard work at first. But here are a few tips. Group up all your weapons. You can do this with the arrow keys and the right control key. This allows you to coordinate your fire better and alpha strike with specific weapon groups. Further, the backsapce key sets a group to chainfire. This means that when you hold down the button, the weapons will fire one after the other with a short delay, which is good for heat management.

3> Stay with the bigger mechs if you are in a medium, heavy or assault mech. This allows you to concentrate your fire and will increase your chances of getting kills. Dont expect to kill much in a light mech, your primary purpose is to scout and harass the enemy. You will eventually get good enough to take out other mechs in a light, but for now, you are a rapid response unit for defending the base and for attacking other lights.

4> Absolutely get into a group over TS or skype. You will find lots of people recruiting for houses ready for when community warfare goes live. Pugging (Solo gaming) isnt fun in MWO, You need to have people to coordinate with and to watch your back.

Finally, dont get frustrated. Dont pay too much attention to your stats. KD Ratio isnt really important when in a team based game. And above all have some fun.

#2 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Very nice, I do not necesarily agree with #4, but that is a personal issue (I have yet to get one to work with my computer for reasons unknown) but I also am aware with how much that can help.

Points for you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users