Disguise, Camoflage, Concealment...

43 replies to this topic

#21 Abivard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

Kroner is the currency of the Free Rasalhauge Republic.

Anyone that works for the Lying Liao deserves what they get!

#22 CrashieJ

• 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

Lyrans are quite fond of their rent-a-guns, I don't blame them. Ask a Lyran about defending their homes and they'll jump up with pride, follow up with defending it themselves and they'll back off and say "hey, that's what paychecks are for."

But if you want to see something hilarious ask a Fed the same damn questions and you'll probably get shot for asking what they deem as a "stupid questions".

but as a Merc I can attest to Liao contract doctrine... wiped the floor with a Liao rent-a-squad and a head honcho came up to us not to shoot us down but to propose a Contract and a hefty bonus for "downsizing". whatever I can get I guess.

concealment?... do you know how much Advertising across the I.S. is? You're talking billions flushed into Comstar's wallets for a 30 second blip. you're better off painting your mech bright Purple and Gold attaching a loudspeaker and yelling out your corporation every time you core a poor *******.

#23 BigMooingCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

Man, why do you tease us with all this RP stuff, PGI? Please hold the RP cards to play until we can actually join a faction, or negotiate contracts with a house, or even have a fuzzy concept that we're fighting on an actual planet in the inner sphere.

I'd love to dive into the Inner Sphere in MWO, but right now MWO is deathmatch with no story behind it. It stings to see you guys writing content like this and know that there could be a giant RP flamewar that we could settle on Solaris or somesuch if only CW was in the game.

I can't wait until content like the Inner Sphere News is something more than little tidbit stories that have no bearing on MWO.

#24 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

Eh, my gripe with the Capellans is that they do not pay enough and ask respectable mercs like myself to do dishonest work. All else I will say on the matter is that I turned down those contracts. Client confidentiality clauses and all that.

Edited by Nathan Foxbane, 13 February 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#25 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 13 February 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

Eh, my gripe with the Capellans is that they do not pay enough and ask respectable mercs like myself to do dishonest work. All else I will say on the matter is that I turned down those contracts. Client confidentiality clauses and all that.

Either you demanded way more then you are worth, or you didn't communicate with an actual representative of the confederation.

The demand for soldiers of fortune in the capellan confederation is extremly high and we pay accordingly. Please visit the hiring halls on Outreach, Solaris VII or Galatea and see for yourself. Sprouting nonsense will not gain you a higher payment or the handpicked jobs you wish for.

Edited by Egomane, 13 February 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#26 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

...and ask respectable mercs like myself to do dishonest work.

You're not even trying to seem like a merc, Davion spy.

Mercs who actually see something else besides the paycheck? Noone's going to fall on that...
"Honest work" is something only one of your kind could spit out when talking about mechwarrior's work. :P

Edited by Adridos, 14 February 2013 - 10:17 PM.

#27 CrashieJ

• 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

honest work?, as a real Merc, not getting your skin sheared off by a Gauss round is "Honest Work". They pay pretty fair considering that you can actually do SOMETHING and not tote around like some ensign with a butt to kiss. Client Confidentiality only matters when some Poor Schmucks get shot by other Poor Schmucks, and Both Poor Schmucks leading those Poor Schmucks don't wish to prosecute all the other Poor Schmucks out in Schmuckland.

Never turn down a contract when it's given to you because once you refuse and they give you another one, it'll be a trap.
Seriously, one of my pals turned down a contract by Freeload- er, I mean FREEWORLDERS, in prospect of higher pay, he got one by Lyrans; but once he took another contract by the FWRs he was never heard from again... partly because I shot him, and partly... well, when I think about it, he wasn't my friend, he was a total ****.

totally justified

Edited by gavilatius, 13 February 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#28 Assault One

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

I admit that the Maskirovka are actually pretty good.

Except when they have no choice and are forced to follow stupid and/or insane orders from ol' Romano.

Edited by Assault One, 14 February 2013 - 06:37 AM.

#29 Splinters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 268 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

This is hilarious, I feel like everyone is a Stackpole-indoctrinated fan on these forums some days.

Loved the books too, but hurling insults at House Liao doesn't really change anything. For those who want to have fun, join House Liao and realize that when CW appears, we will have no problems jumping into a fight where the huge contingent of Davion and Steiner fans will be sitting there waiting in queue looking for another group to fight against.

This is an appeal to the practical gamer, for those who are bigger RP/storyline fans, enjoy being the "good guys", I'll be having fun shooting or getting shot up. Either way, I'll take that rather than sitting in a dropship all day.

-S

#30 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Heh...what can they say, Splintz? Romano is out of her mind and Sun-Tzu is a scheming, backstabbing douchebadger more concerned with getting his own back against Hanse and Victor than with protecting the Inner Sphere against the Clan threat. Remember, according to PGI's timeline, right now Jamie Wolf is trying to get the leaders of the Inner Sphere to stop being scheming, backstabbing douchebadgers, warn them of the Clan threat, and trying to unite the Inner Sphere to stop the avalanche about to hit it.

We all know how well that went, and we know who to blame. And unlike Hohiro, Sun-Tzu never did jack to redeem himself, eh?

Yup...we've got a pretty hefty body of evidence that trusting anything that comes out of a Capellan's mouth is a bad, bad, bad idea. Heh, according to the Chancellor, all work for the glory of the Confederation - whether they're aware of it or not, whether they're a part of the Confederation or not.

#31 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

View Post1453 R, on 14 February 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Remember, according to PGI's timeline, right now Jamie Wolf is trying to get the leaders of the Inner Sphere to stop being scheming, backstabbing douchebadgers, warn them of the Clan threat, and trying to unite the Inner Sphere to stop the avalanche about to hit it.

Thats next year.

#32 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:22 AM

Was it? I always remembered it happening just before the Invasion. Huh.

Heh, ah well. The point - that Sun-Tzu is a jerk - still stands.

#33 Kartr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 560 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Wear not ware. Ware is something you sell, so for a Merc' your ware is you, shooting other people. Wear is what happens to people and equipment that is used. So Merc's lucky enough to get out of Capella without being worse for wear is what it should read. Damn 31st Century and people still have trouble with the auto-correct giving them the wrong word? ;)

#34 Bilaz

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

I resent implication that Russian exterminators would be sent in a world where no such state or clearly defined nation exist. I do hope to never again see such references in the future. It would hardly be apropriate to pay for services of a company that explicitly descriminates or incrimites certain countries and nations (even if no other legal action would be possible).

As for the maskirovka - well its obliously an attemt to mislead, same as with names of covert operations. nobody (sane) calls operation (or operative) with any name that helps to identify its oridgin, purpose and such. Such name is just one step furher.

#35 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

View PostBilaz, on 21 February 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

I resent implication that Russian exterminators would be sent in a world where no such state or clearly defined nation exist. I do hope to never again see such references in the future. It would hardly be apropriate to pay for services of a company that explicitly descriminates or incrimites certain countries and nations (even if no other legal action would be possible).

As for the maskirovka - well its obliously an attemt to mislead, same as with names of covert operations. nobody (sane) calls operation (or operative) with any name that helps to identify its oridgin, purpose and such. Such name is just one step furher.

I'm not sure how you resent something being implicated that no longer exists. Why shouldn't references be made to real places through history? It may be the 31st century, but the last time I checked we all shared the same human origins.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/History

On a side note, you're getting mad about role-playing in-character in a fictional universe where Russia as you know it hasn't existed for a thousand years. Imagine a citizen of Rome logging onto the Rome Total War forums and saying he's being totally misrepresented.

You will see such references again and hopefully they will be frequent. It's part of the well crafted story of this franchise. If science fiction offends you, then perhaps you shouldn't be part of a sci-fi community.

#36 Bilaz

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

View PostDemona, on 22 February 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

I'm not sure how you resent something being implicated that no longer exists. Why shouldn't references be made to real places through history? It may be the 31st century, but the last time I checked we all shared the same human origins.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/History

On a side note, you're getting mad about role-playing in-character in a fictional universe where Russia as you know it hasn't existed for a thousand years. Imagine a citizen of Rome logging onto the Rome Total War forums and saying he's being totally misrepresented.

You will see such references again and hopefully they will be frequent. It's part of the well crafted story of this franchise. If science fiction offends you, then perhaps you shouldn't be part of a sci-fi community.

Ok, i'll explain. As i see it such reference makes no sence for mechwarriors - they do not think in terms of nationality, race and such (as can be seen in books). They judge people thru their alligiance to great houses and houses are all they knew for hundreds of years - its like making two word reference to normans now. But to modern american audience such reference makes sence due to their most recent history and they would better connect to russian exterminators than liao or steiner or just exterminators (contrary to the mechwarriors this article supposed to adress). And the fact that to reinforce their fiction and promote their game they bring such references (where they do not belong) - saddens me. I dont know about you - but i dont want to see news about french named davion merc's surrendering without fight (and autor of article suggesting thats what french usually do), and so on and so on.

But the part about translation and conflict on how what liao wants to be seen, contradicts what they apear to be - thats ok and good, more of that. That makes sence and actually tells us more about universe, houses and mercs.

#37 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostBilaz, on 22 February 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

Ok, i'll explain. As i see it such reference makes no sence for mechwarriors - they do not think in terms of nationality, race and such (as can be seen in books). They judge people thru their alligiance to great houses and houses are all they knew for hundreds of years - its like making two word reference to normans now. But to modern american audience such reference makes sence due to their most recent history and they would better connect to russian exterminators than liao or steiner or just exterminators (contrary to the mechwarriors this article supposed to adress). And the fact that to reinforce their fiction and promote their game they bring such references (where they do not belong) - saddens me. I dont know about you - but i dont want to see news about french named davion merc's surrendering without fight (and autor of article suggesting thats what french usually do), and so on and so on.

But the part about translation and conflict on how what liao wants to be seen, contradicts what they apear to be - thats ok and good, more of that. That makes sence and actually tells us more about universe, houses and mercs.

You do realize that this is set in the same universe as our own with a fictional timeline? Everyone is actually descended from the Earth nation states and all the ethnic groups and religions have persisted into space?

As for referencing the Normans, I don't know about you, but I do all the time. You're ignoring the lore and history of the game universe and taking personal offense where none is meant or intended. Let it go and enjoy.

#38 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

View PostBilaz, on 22 February 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

When people got to colonise the space, most of the Russians got into Tikonov region...
Then that Tikonov region made a pact with the Sarna, St.Ives and so on to form the Capellan Confederation.

And if you think BTech portrays Russians only as the bad guys, look up Aleksandr Kerensky, the guy behind Atlas, King Crab, the guy who tried to prevent any further wars, but saw it couldn't be done and took rational people with him deep into space and the father of all Clans (Mad Cats and stuff).

#39 M4NTiC0R3X

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

Read it again, only this time play me first..! then please make a video to correlate. Oh, and what gives ComStar, no news..?

#40 irony1999

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

I used to look forward to the daily flavor posts. What happened? Lore guy get let go?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users