Need Raven 2X And 4X Help

19 replies to this topic

#1 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

So, the other day I decided to buy a RVN-3L. I'm actually really enjoying the speed and agility of a light Mech, more than I thought I would. Anyway, I'm 7/8 on the basic skills and so I will, rather unfortunately, have to purchase and use the other two Ravens if I want to continue to advance my proficiencies.

I'm looking for some help in trying to get decent load outs for the 2X and 4X to try and make grinding their skills as painless as possible. I was fooling around and I came up with this for the 2X: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dd42582016024b4

I've never used pulse lasers before and I've heard that they're very effective against lights since they deal their damage more quickly than regular lasers. I figured since the 2X has 4 energy hard points and that enemy lights would be of big concern to me that I should try some out. The SRM6 in the missile slot gives it some extra punch and I don't have to worry about trying to acquire a lock when covered by enemy ECM.

As for the 4X...all of my sane ideas for it involve putting machine guns in the 2 ballistic slots, but we all know how terrible machine guns are so that's kind of making me cringe. I did see someone in a RVN-4X before with an AC20 crammed in there, but that just seems...I dunno, I'm doubting the effectiveness. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

The only other thing I can see cramming in those ballistics slots is 2 AC2s, but that limits me to only the AC2s because of weight. It doesn't seem to me like AC2s, which rely on continuous sustained damage, would work well on a light Mech which relies on hit and run.

Anyone have any ideas for the 4X? Should I just cram an AC20 in there? :P

#2 The Mech behind you

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationGermany, Northern Baden-Württemberg

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

I tried lots of different ballistic setups on my 4X and my final setup that I'm ok with is:
2 LLas
1 SRM6

For me 4X with Ballistics don't work

#3 Training Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Hate to say it, but there isn't much hope for either of these mechs.

Are you any good at sniping? It's possible to put 1-2 erppcs on either of these variants and that will ease the pain a bit.

#4 Thoummim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 273 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

I like the 2x more than the 3L, go for 4MPL or 4ML + SRM6.

The 4x is not very good I usually go with 2LPL, same dmg as ac20 and you can fight back against other light.

Edited by Thoummim, 12 February 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#5 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

4x is pretty decent as AC20 raven.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...005f3ec0b78d62a

Stay with the group and shoot the big targets.

#6 Derf

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

I played the 2X with 4 MLas, an SRM (forgot 4 or 6) and a standard 245 engine.

I enjoyed playing the 4X much more, I used this build:
AC20 Raven 4X
Had great fun with it.
Its all or nothing, with 20 damage in one place, just blows things up.
You do need to make friends with a larger mech, then pick on damaged mechs.

#7 Misfit73

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

There is only one thing you can do with the 4x, unlock boxes with GXP. Its just a terrible terrible chassis. Both the 2x and 4x suffer from low engine rating more than they suffer from lack of ECM. The 2x can wield a little bit of punch and can be used as a light brawler or scirmisher but there is not much hope for the 4x.

#8 Eldane

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

The build posted in the OP is gonna shut down a lot from overheating...will be pretty much unplayable on Caustic.You'll need to really play heat management and make sure your shots count in something like that.

I had a lot of fun, and managed to be pretty effective, in this 4X:

AC5 RVN-4X

This one could also be fun:

LB 10-X RVN-4X

I only used it in a couple matches though.

The 2X wasn't much fun for me though...I can't really recommend a loadout for it...either 2 LL or an ERPPC and a couple mediums were the two loadouts I used. You can also do 4 mediums and an SRM6 but I think that one may run pretty hot also.

Everyone has their own play styles so it's ultimately up to you to find something that works.

Edited by Eldane, 12 February 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#9 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

All 4x Ravens need an Ac20.

#10 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

I borrowed the XL 210 from my 3L, and put an AC/20 on my 4X.I just about maxed armor, two tons of ammo and a small laser. The small laser is there because with 14 shots you *will* run out of ammo.

Just make your shots count, 14 does plenty. It hurts lights in an instant, and is great for polishing off wounded mechs. I got a lucky head shot on an Atlas the other day - that left me grinning like a fiend.

I'm thinking a pair of PPCs for my 2X. I've done it before on the 3L and it worked fairly well. With both PPCs in the same spot they do concentrated damage, you just have to watch out for heat and that minimum range.

Edited by Buckminster, 12 February 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#11 Stringburka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 597 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

2X can be pretty good pretty close to your build. Just drop FF armor, swap the MPL's for ML's and add DHS.
RVN-2X
With a dangerous alpha of 35, and decent heat management, it can be useful as a flanker.

The 4x is harder and I actually ended up using a lot of global XP to unlock it, but someone else might have a better idea of what to do.

Regardless, if you're grinding XP, I recommend a TAG laser on all 'mechs, especially if you have a friend that can drive anything with SSRM's or LRM's. Even when pugging alone, I usually got 50-100 extra xp per assault match due to TAGging. They also cause no heat, so adding them doesn't hurt your heat at all.

EDIT: While others might disagree, I do not support the idea of an AC-20 on a 4x. For the same tonnage and slots that you get an AC-20 with 14 shots (14 alphas of 20 damage) you can get an AC-10 with 30 shots and two Medium Lasers (30 alphas for 20 damage, then rely on 2ML which isn't that bad compared to nothing). Since components have 10 hp, (10+5+5) damage will also destroy more components than (20).

Edited by Stringburka, 12 February 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#12 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Here it is:

RVN-4X

And I know some people don't like the AC/20, and frankly it's not for everyone. But I find that I really like the 20 points of concentrated damage. It's the same reason I like it over the Gauss.

Sure, there may be more powerful combos out there, but not much delivers lots of damage to one location like and AC/20.

Edited by Buckminster, 12 February 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#13 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for all the ideas, guys. I think I can handle it now :)

#14 UnseenFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 961 posts
  • LocationСтрана Мечты (Strana Mechty)

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

4x must be used with ac/20. 2x you can play with 4MPLas, get it to elite and then sell.

#15 Gregore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 452 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

This is my 2x build and I love it.
I easily get 300-600 dmg multiple kills and assists.

Start with 215 armor
RA 20
Side Torso 20/10
center 30/13
Head 16
Legs 30

2 ML
2 LL
XL 225 (104/114)
SRM 6 (100 ammo, I only run out once in a while, can swap down to an SRM 4 and add 100 ammo if you want)
1 DHS placed (mandatory)

Endo Steel (structure)
FF Armor
DHS

#16 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Buy and XL245 as a start, it is pretty handy in catapults as well, at least LRM ones.

I ran the ballistics one with an AC2 and a couple of lasers. The other one I stuck some lasers and an LRM15 in, it actually worked pretty well as you have so much mobility and the LRMs do decent damage as long as there isn't any AMS around. Priority should be mechs with damaged centre or side torsos.

#17 Abulafia

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

View PostGregore, on 13 February 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

This is my 2x build and I love it.
I easily get 300-600 dmg multiple kills and assists.

Start with 215 armor
RA 20
Side Torso 20/10
center 30/13
Head 16
Legs 30

2 ML
2 LL
XL 225 (104/114)
SRM 6 (100 ammo, I only run out once in a while, can swap down to an SRM 4 and add 100 ammo if you want)
1 DHS placed (mandatory)

Endo Steel (structure)
FF Armor
DHS

I use and enjoy a variation on this. I have pretty good success on the 2X and 4X using 2xLL, an SRM6, and the XL210 from my 3L.

#18 Malsumis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 173 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

I tried the AC20 RVN-4X. It was OK, but I find this RVN-4X to be more effective and also a bit of fun. I spent a lot of c-bills testing other setups and this one works best for my play style. It runs a touch hot specially on Caustic, but if you can manage your heat it works really well and can really catch other players by surprise much like the AC20 raven.

#19 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

I've been using a similar setup on my 2X - twin large lasers and an SRM6, with the XL 210 from my 3L. It's been okay for me - I really prefer the instant hit of ballistics over laser weapons, but it's been good enough, and definitely a change from my other Raven setups.

My big thing is that I try and setup each mech to use whatever it is that makes it unique. The two differences between the 2X and the 4X are the ballistic slots and jump jets. If I'm setting up a 4X, I don't want it to not take advantage of at least one of those differences.

Then again, I'm kind of a collector, so I'll end up hanging on to every mech I buy, and keeping them all set up in such a way that makes them different. If you're just looking to grind through the 4X and 2X so you can level your skills on the 3L, uniqueness isn't a concern.

#20 UnseenFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 961 posts
  • LocationСтрана Мечты (Strana Mechty)

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

Who needs 2X when you have Jenners.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users