8 replies to this topic

#1 Stringburka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 597 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

If you want to skip analysis and long explanation, short version:
Give 10% less reload rate for stock weaponry and 10% more heat efficiency in engines close to the stock engine.

So, right now, almost every 'mech anyone buys gets stripped and gets most/all weapon loads replaced from the get go, because on almost every 'mech, there's another setup that's more efficient.
Let me be clear: This in itself isn't an issue, and customizability is a good thing. However, it has two consequences that I think should be considered:
- Trial 'mechs are usually between "bad" and horrible. Right now, the trial 'mechs aren't that horrible, except for the Cicada. Damn, that's beyond saving, but I guess it's canon. But, moving on.
- Few 'mechs use anything close to the stock loadout. This to me creates a dissonance, especially in cases where the price of the stock 'mechs and modified 'mechs aren't that relevant. If the stock 'mechs are so suckish, why are they the standard, and why are they sold with their weapons rather than empty to be filled with whatever?

So, I have a suggestion: Slightly encourage using stock weapons on the 'mechs. Do not make it so that that's the best loadout period, but make it relevant. The primary way I suggest doing this is by having something like this:
'Mechs are built with certain weapon systems in mind and are optimized for those. When using the same weapon in a hardpoint that is the stock weapon for that hardpoint, the recycle time for that weapon is reduced by 10% due to this optimization.
Of course the actual number would have to be adjusted by whatever, 10% might be too much or to little, maybe 5 or 8 or 12% fits better.

Example:
Spoiler

This would be matched by the engine:
'Mechs are built with a certain engine in mind and are optimized for that engine. When using the same engine type and with the same number of heat sinks as the stock version, the heat sink efficiency for the engine heat sinks are increased by 10%.

Example:
Spoiler

As said, these aren't huge bonuses, but can help even the playing field a little, and means there's a reason 'mechs come with the weapons they do.

What say you?

PS: Again, I want to clarify this is no way is intended as a "u sux if u boat" or "all mechs should be as the stock" or anything like that.

Edited by Stringburka, 12 February 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#2 Surtr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDropship Naglfar, Clan Front

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

I simply think they should eventually give us the option to play in stock mech only matches.

#3 Stringburka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 597 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

Bumping, and adding another idea:

When pilot skills get reworked, add 'mech specific options that are based around the 'mechs stock equipment/role. In the K2 example above, it could be something like "Enhanced PPC Ejector System" which increases projectile speed for PPCs and ERPPCs on the 'mech by 50% (to 3k), or "Integrated Zoom System" which works as the advanced zoom module but requiring no module slot.

#4 Irvine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 289 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

My C1 missile boat and my K2 would love this idea. Same with my cicada. All three run stock or stock sized(xl) motors. I could see light pilots not liking this at all though.

#5 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

... why is ever suggestion a "punish people for doing things I don't like" suggestion?

Why not add a mastery skill to each mech that emphasises their intended role. CPLT-K2 get a 5% reduction in PPC heat, CPLT-C1 get a 5% bonus to LRM fire rates, or whatever. Make is unique and special without being too restrictive, or boring.

#6 Stringburka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 597 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

View Postfocuspark, on 13 February 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

... why is ever suggestion a "punish people for doing things I don't like" suggestion?

Why not add a mastery skill to each mech that emphasises their intended role. CPLT-K2 get a 5% reduction in PPC heat, CPLT-C1 get a 5% bonus to LRM fire rates, or whatever. Make is unique and special without being too restrictive, or boring.

How is this a "punish" suggestion? It's rather a "reward" suggestion if anything, whether you like it or not.

Your suggestion is basically the same as mine, just with an XP cost :D

#7 Hotthedd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

I really like the OP's general idea, but not the implementation so much.

Customization is key to the MW experience, and you take the bad with the good. Carrots would be the way to go, instead of sticks.

I just do not want the "you're not having fun right!" aspect.

#8 Stringburka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 597 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

I see several people seem to have interpreted my suggestion as being "punishment" or a "stick". It may be my limited grasp of the english language that has caused this, because I did not in any way intend for that to be what comes across. I'd welcome criticism on how I've worded it, since it seems to have been badly worded (in that focusparks didn't seem to like my suggestion but hir suggestion is very close to mine).

It is intended as a carrot, not as a stick.

Edited by Stringburka, 17 February 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#9 Beeman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

I like the idea of a stock variant to each game-mode. Like when you go to play, you can either launch a stock queue, customized queue, faction wars queue(whenever they get around to implementing them shenanigans), or even vs. AI queue(if they ever implement that...it's kind of a popular suggestion/expectation of a MW game).

I can dig it.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users