How I Would Introduce The Clans

21 replies to this topic

#1 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Everyone is talking about the clans and can't wait for their invasion.

Well, I think it should actually feel like an invasion.

Here's how I would introduce clan warfare:

First, we need Community Warfare to be in-game and rolling. Ideally, CW would be around for a few months, even a full year is a possibilty (yes, I know, it wouldn't follow the canon dates)

Then, out of nowhere, PGI releases a new video of in-game footage, where people play and voice actors make it feel like it's a real battlefield. Then, during the battle, boom, Timber Wolves, Vultures, Thors appear and the IS pilots freak the hell out and are destroyed. This is a video made by PGI of course.

Right after that video is released, PGI announces 8 new mechs, all clanners, from which 4 are already completed (NINJA WORK) and in-game by next patch.

There's your clan invasion.

Edited by Sybreed, 12 February 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#2 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

So you mean that anyone who is currently in a game get's 8 clan mech's dropping in half-way through and killing everyone? That does sound awesome for the 5% of people that get to see it.

#3 mrDUDE

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

I think you should only be able to pilot a clan mech if you drop solo, no clan mechs for 4 man groups.

#4 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

View PostmrDUDE, on 12 February 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

I think you should only be able to pilot a clan mech if you drop solo, no clan mechs for 4 man groups.

Ahh so anyone that plays the game the way it's intended to be played gets to never pilot Clan mech's???

Jesus man what planet are you from cause it sure as h*ll isn't this one.

#5 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

View PostCorralis, on 12 February 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

So you mean that anyone who is currently in a game get's 8 clan mech's dropping in half-way through and killing everyone? That does sound awesome for the 5% of people that get to see it.

No.

Wtf?

How could you even understand so ba...

Anyway... I meant PGI releases a clan reveal video, which is made from in-game footage with voice actors and yadda-yadda.

#6 hashinshin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

View PostCorralis, on 12 February 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

Ahh so anyone that plays the game the way it's intended to be played gets to never pilot Clan mech's???

Oh, I forgot this game was called "Groupwarrior Online."

See I got confused because these sorts of games are created pretty much solely for the single player experience, and not for the group player experience. Unless you want to say that WoT with it's 3 player group cap is less popular for it?

#7 mrDUDE

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Dont drop in a group then you can play as one : )

I posted it half jokingly but really, it could even the pub vs group field a bit...

#8 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

View PostSybreed, on 12 February 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

No.

Wtf?

How could you even understand so ba...

Anyway... I meant PGI releases a clan reveal video, which is made from in-game footage with voice actors and yadda-yadda.

OK Sorry I read it wrong, my fault entirely :)

View Posthashinshin, on 12 February 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

Oh, I forgot this game was called "Groupwarrior Online."

See I got confused because these sorts of games are created pretty much solely for the single player experience, and not for the group player experience. Unless you want to say that WoT with it's 3 player group cap is less popular for it?

Well they do call it a Multi-Player game for a reason. Jesus man, if you don't like getting stomped by clans then join a clan. And using the argument of "I don't want to join a clan" and giving no reason for it is not gonna be a valid excuse.

#9 Enig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 594 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

View PostCorralis, on 12 February 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

Well they do call it a Multi-Player game for a reason. Jesus man, if you don't like getting stomped by clans then join a clan. And using the argument of "I don't want to join a clan" and giving no reason for it is not gonna be a valid excuse.

I think you're misunderstanding what a 'Clan' means in this game.

#10 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

View PostEnig, on 12 February 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

I think you're misunderstanding what a 'Clan' means in this game.

Ahh Clan/Corp/House, you know what I mean and I do know what the Clan's are.

#11 Enig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 594 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

View PostCorralis, on 12 February 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

Ahh Clan/Corp/House, you know what I mean and I do know what the Clan's are.

At risk of sounding like an elitist, please be mindful of proper terminology on these forums or any other relating to Battletech.

A Clan and a player run group, be it a merc group or otherwise, are very different things. Using the word Clan to denote a group of players akin to an MMO guild is a strong mis-step.

#12 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

View PostEnig, on 12 February 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

At risk of sounding like an elitist, please be mindful of proper terminology on these forums or any other relating to Battletech.

A Clan and a player run group, be it a merc group or otherwise, are very different things. Using the word Clan to denote a group of players akin to an MMO guild is a strong mis-step.

It's common terminology for most Multi-player games and most people understand what a clan is. Now a clan and The Clans (or Clanners) are two different things and should not be confused with each other.

#13 Enig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 594 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

View PostCorralis, on 12 February 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

It's common terminology for most Multi-player games and most people understand what a clan is. Now a clan and The Clans (or Clanners) are two different things and should not be confused with each other.

You're right, it's common terminology. But when you go to a shooting club and you call a magazine a clip, you'll probably get a few sneers and chuckles and at worst someone might slap your ****.

#14 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

And now your confusing real life to the internetz. Also never been to a shooting club, can't get them over here in good ol' blighty.

#15 AceTimberwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • Location春日部市、埼玉県、日本; アメリカ: Arcadia, CA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

I d be cool if you had a random chance to drop as a star 5v8 . Hopefully no one complains. Or Maybe the top pilots drop together randomly as clanners

#16 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

View PostAceTimberwolf, on 12 February 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

I d be cool if you had a random chance to drop as a star 5v8 . Hopefully no one complains. Or Maybe the top pilots drop together randomly as clanners

Honestly 5vs8 would work quite nicely in TT but in a game like MW:O where player skill is the deciding factor whether you win or lose and not random hit chance, I think 5 Clanners would get stomped mercilessly. I just think were gonna need to allow all mechs to be able to use Clan tech and make killing a Clan mech get you a lot more XP and C-bills than killing an IS mech due to them having omni points. Let's face it, IS tech is gonna go straight out of the window when Clan tech is introduced.

#17 CrashieJ

• 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

turn the clock back to 3049 and then rerun it. you got another year to fix everything.

problem solved.

what one could do is change the maps a bit to make it seem that "someone" has been running around certain maps. permanent footsteps , a wreckage that was never there, a divot on a planet in the background, a jumpship hidden in the skybox, a dropship blasting off in the background. etc.

TF2 did that with the Dr. Gorbort's pack and the community went absolutely NUTZOIDS

or go up against 8 AI Clanmechs, 1 out of 200 matches? and then fight your way out, and if you are victorious at the end you get a transmission by Comstar that goes "you did not see anything, here's 1,000,000 C-Bills to keep your mouth shut.", If you lose the Clanners laugh and you only get 50,000 Cbills.

#18 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

This is how I would introduce them.

#19 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • Location春日部市、埼玉県、日本; アメリカ: Arcadia, CA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

5V8 wouldn't be that bad. Again it's all about the pilots. I've won plenty of 4v8 5v8 and 6v8 and done plenty of dmg in a 3v8. I would be stoked in 5v8 battle because atleast you would be prepared

#20 Antony Weiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationEast Coast U.S.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

He is from the Basement planet, from the No Friends star system.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users