34 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy Page

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 145 posts
  • LocationOh1O

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:25 AM

Every single game someone will say "DO NOT LOOK OVER THE RIDGE" and then some person wanders up, peeks over and takes 5 PPC's and 2 Guass to the mouth. Dead. So now your down two because someone DC'ed at launch. Your team dies quickly after that. Why does someone does this EVERY game? Can there be a flashing sign on top of the ridge that says stay back or something?

#2 Sean von Steinike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:27 AM

Probably because there is always new people, and always people that think wrongly their Atlas (Stalker, Awesome, whatever) can absorb or dodge any shots directed them.

#3 S1lent0ne

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:29 AM

What if they get to the ridge first?

By the very fact that they get shot means that the other team is effectively peeking over the ridge. So the problem isn't that they are peeking - it is that they are peeking second.

#4 Bad Alchemy

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 49 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:34 AM

Theres a difference between peeking and walking to the top of a ridge and then slamming on reverse - most people forget to lower thier engine speed and just get the cockpit above the line. Bad piloting is bad piloting, those folks will learn in time.

#5 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:37 AM

View PostBad Alchemy, on 14 February 2013 - 02:34 AM, said:

Theres a difference between peeking and walking to the top of a ridge and then slamming on reverse - most people forget to lower thier engine speed and just get the cockpit above the line. Bad piloting is bad piloting, those folks will learn in time.

Yeah, it's really only the ones that walk up and stand on the ridgeline or keep peeking at the same spot that really get blasted. Besides, if no one peeked, doesn't that just mean both teams would just stand there until the timer ran out?

#6 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:40 AM

Impatience is a common disease nowadays.

#7 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:42 AM

View PostSolomon Ward, on 14 February 2013 - 02:40 AM, said:

Impatience is a common disease nowadays.

Yeah, I notice this a lot on Frozen City when some impatient guy walks past the spaceship and gets shot apart in 10 seconds.

#8 Dagnome

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 906 posts
  • LocationNew Hampster

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:44 AM

Agreed. The most typical spot someone will peek over is the E5 side of the hill in that little valley. Many times I have come from the hill side and seen someone standing in that valley waiting. Then I take my PPC's and gauss and shwack em typically putting them in red/orange or exposed before they are able to put that puppy in reverse.

As someone said, there will always be new players to the game who will make the same mistakes you made at one point. Instead of hating on them, try to educate them. If they dont want to listen to experienced pilots then that is their own undoing.

#9 smokefield

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Locationalways on

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:45 AM

i fully agree with things stated.

i forgot how many times i told them BEFORE arrving to the ridge...don't go there ! and they do exactly opposite, just to die in 5 sec.

#10 Elkarlo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:02 AM

Tell a Child not to touch the plate at the Stove....

On the other side, i do this as well, but only when i am sitting in a fast Mech with high mounted Cockpit to have a
snatch of the Position.

#11 elbloom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:49 AM

if you can get there fast take a look. if you go sightseeing and see your team already formed up around it, DON´T DO IT !

#12 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:06 AM

You can do it in a scout. Run just past the tip of the ridge and run back before LRMs, ERPPC's, whatever arrive. There's always a sniper in position too just waiting for the chance, keep running.

#13 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:10 AM

I don't understand this thread. Firstly, I poke my head over the ridge in Frozen City all the time without dying. It's not insta-lose by any means. Around buildings is much more difficult because mechs are wider than their cockpits are low, meaning you have to expose yourself a lot more to be able to see.

Secondly, if nobody looks over or around the ridge, then what? You both sit on your side and wait for the other team, when both teams are yelling at themselves not to look over? If the price you pay for knowing where the enemy is and the ability to plan accordingly is a slightly damaged torso then that's what it takes. It's a bloody mech game guys, not trench warfare.

#14 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:46 AM

As long as you just don't sit around idly waiting behind the ridge until just maye some enemy is stupid enough to run into your fire...

You need to know what's behind the ridge. You need to engage the guys that are behind the ridge. But you don't neccessarily need to drive on top of the ridge to do this. But you need to do something. Move around. Use the Tunnel.

#15 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

I have the complete opposite experience.....I run up to the ridge in my 3D, look over the top (thankfully I have jumpjets) and there is always some fool just standing in the open staring up at the ridge just begging me to shoot him in the cockpit.....and of course one of their team d/cs at the start of every game so we are up by 2 before a minute and a half is up and the game is already basically won :/ boring right? :ph34r:

Pray that elo will save us both :lol:

Edited by Wispsy, 14 February 2013 - 05:02 AM.

#16 The Mech behind you

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationGermany, Northern Baden-Württemberg

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:09 AM

Actually that is 'Do not look over the ridge if you're not in a light Mech (or Cicada)'. Intel is important on the battlefield. Lights are fast and tiny they can run quickly over the ridge in a turn just to see what the other team is doing.

#17 Strucker

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationTroll City

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:10 AM

So I'm gonna take a stab at what the 6 asterisks on the post title blank out, best guess sultry. Also who blows up after being shot by only 5 PPC's and 2 gauss pfft amateurs.

#18 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:37 AM

View PostOnmyoudo, on 14 February 2013 - 04:10 AM, said:

Secondly, if nobody looks over or around the ridge, then what? You both sit on your side and wait for the other team, when both teams are yelling at themselves not to look over?

You can see the other side of the ridge line without going over the ridge - don't go over the high mountain side, go around the low side near jenner alley.
Especially when you have the mountain / cave on the left side - when starting on the other side you have reasonable cover near the ridge.
Besides, often people taking a peek over the ridge think that stepping forwards and backwards (With a straightened torso) constitutes "dodging" when in reality they are presenting no perpendicular movement to the enemy, so making themselves an easy shot.
Furthermore, if you poke your head above the ridge and you see multiple enemies - most of these people seem to have no concept that if you can see 3 enemies and these 3 enemies can see only you, this typically going to end up with you getting shot up more than the enemy.

View PostStrucker, on 14 February 2013 - 05:10 AM, said:

So I'm gonna take a stab at what the 6 asterisks on the post title blank out, best guess sultry. Also who blows up after being shot by only 5 PPC's and 2 gauss pfft amateurs.

R e t a r d is my guess - sultry was not starred out in your post, so that is not it.

#19 Eric darkstar Marr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:37 AM

Simple solution use the tunnel and flank them with 4 mechs while having one LRM boat and a speed mech peek over with eyes to launch lrms into them to keep them in place.

#20 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:40 AM

View PostJimmy Page, on 14 February 2013 - 02:25 AM, said:

Every single game someone will say "DO NOT LOOK OVER THE RIDGE" and then some person wanders up, peeks over and takes 5 PPC's and 2 Guass to the mouth. Dead. So now your down two because someone DC'ed at launch. Your team dies quickly after that. Why does someone does this EVERY game? Can there be a flashing sign on top of the ridge that says stay back or something?

Would make the game kinda boring if nobody took the initiative and attacked! :lol:

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users