****** Ridge - Take A Peek!

34 replies to this topic

#21 Violent Tendencies

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

I do it all the time in a 106.9 speed flame on both sides of map. I give a quick peek and shoulder gauss the first clown I see, then I'm out. I usually arrive quicker than the other teams and probably only take hits 20-30% of the time.

#22 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:51 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 14 February 2013 - 05:40 AM, said:

Would make the game kinda boring if nobody took the initiative and attacked! :ph34r:

I was in a match last night where both sides sat (waiting) for the other to make the first move... Took over 3 minutes before the other side sent a Spider to see what we were doing...

What was really funny was almost every Mech on my team was rigged to snipe (myself included) and when the Spider popped it's head it got instantly cored by Gauss, EPPC and AC rounds... It was glorious. :lol:

#23 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

View PostDaZur, on 14 February 2013 - 06:51 AM, said:

I was in a match last night where both sides sat (waiting) for the other to make the first move... Took over 3 minutes before the other side sent a Spider to see what we were doing...

What was really funny was almost every Mech on my team was rigged to snipe (myself included) and when the Spider popped it's head it got instantly cored by Gauss, EPPC and AC rounds... It was glorious. :ph34r:

Yeah...
... I know. I've had that experience in my Atlas. It is part and parcel of the unit I am with. Every time I stick my head up over the ridge the enemy assaults are waiting for us. When the PUG does it (first) he gets a mixed bag of Mechs. I know cause i follow him to provide back up! :lol:

#24 Havyek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

In my experience it depends on the matches.

The other day my group actually had enough on to run the 8v8s. Frozen City, we alternated popping over the ridge with peeking around the downed dropship. This happened with both teams over the course of 5 minutes until we managed to herd them where we wanted (not telling!!) and then had our brawlers take out 2-3 of the enemies that had been cut off from their fire support, then had the snipers roll over the ridge and focus their ranged 'Mechs.

I much prefer that type of match, where there is some tagging and feeling out the enemy's loadouts instead of just blindly charging over the ridge and the ranged 'Mechs trying to provide support after they catch up.

#25 Balsover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

I think a lot of this could be fixed by changing thermal vision, its far too easy to see a mech 1000m out even without radar. I find I rarely turn it off anymore, the game is now just blue and red to me.

#26 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 14 February 2013 - 05:40 AM, said:

Would make the game kinda boring if nobody took the initiative and attacked! ;)

Not peeking over the ridge is a totally different thing to not attacking. This is precisely the problem - people seem to ignore the rest of the map and only play about on the ridge. Pushing on the jenner alley side is much better than pushing over the ridge

#27 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostevilC, on 14 February 2013 - 08:52 AM, said:

Not peeking over the ridge is a totally different thing to not attacking. This is precisely the problem - people seem to ignore the rest of the map and only play about on the ridge. Pushing on the jenner alley side is much better than pushing over the ridge

Agreed...

When I get out of the blocks first I try to lead the team to Jenner Ally because even from the lower city the rise is gentler. Cresting the ridge exposes a Mech for far too long before weapons can be brought to bare IMHO.

#28 Bhan Zor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

I call it the Darwian Line. Most people who cross it first, are "sorted" out. Only the faster/smarter ones make it back. ;)

#29 Grenadapult

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 89 posts
  • LocationHermann, MO

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

Its an element of human nature that we can all find examples of. "I KNOW its a really bad idea.... but I just hafta check. It'll be ok, I bet nothing even happens...."

#30 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

What if there was a pot of gold over the ridge? You wouldn't want to miss out on that action would you!

#31 Applecrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

But if I don't pop over the ridge first, how am I supposed to go on the forums and complain about premades?

#32 Pihb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

On Frozen City, patience will get you the win every time. Sadly, it's not going to happen. If you pug, people will always scatter, rush the ridge, or try to solo the tunnel.

#33 Swift Idiot

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

And to think, all of this, the whole thread, could have been avoided if we all just realized that the ice tunnel is a wonderful viable thing for fast assaults/slow heavys/the entire team. Or Yonder Valley, for the non-viable but hilarious "they aren't in tunnel, they aren't over ridge, where are th---*static*" 6 minute ambush. Also, edit, the hill is great for Ye Olde "MARCO!! POLO!!!" match. You peekabooers crack me up. Also Also edit, the reason puggers stick their neck out on guillotine ridge is because we're less attached to our e-Life. Ohnooo, my cockpit got blasted, now I have to pick from my three other mechs, all rocking almost the same setup, and I still get money for losing. I mean really, you do the math. Your fault for sacrificing a lancemate in vain by not charging. Players who come to the message boards to make posts like this are why I will never get (or when the devs implement it turn on) voice chat. "YOU'RE PLAYING THE GAME WRONG!!"

Edited by Swift Idiot, 14 February 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#34 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

I never do a slow crest, I am always moving laterally at a speed fast enough to dip back below the ridge line. Reverse is too slow on all but the lightest mechs to avoid getting your head PPC/gaussed off.

#35 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Honestly,I wish they'd just flatten the ridge out.Far to many times I've had to sit and and watch pubbie team mates lumber their way up to the ridge,against the pleas of the rest of us,only to walk straight up,poke their entire upper half over in plain view of the enemy,and then come tumbling back down the hill in a smoking wreck while trying to reverse away.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users