The Word "noob"

39 replies to this topic

#1 Dr Warp Effect

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

For a gamer I am very old. So old I can remember when "noob" referred to someone who was new at a particular game. Such people would make the kind of mistakes that almost everyone makes at first. For example, shooting at nondestructible cover to try to reveal the opponent behind it. Or maybe complaining that the game needed a minimap when it actually had one if you knew the hot key to activate it. Eventually "noob" was used to indicate any sort of bad play even in cases where it was obvious the player it was used to describe could not be new (unless they had bought a high-level account). Now "noob" means one of two things, or both. It either means "You are a player that plays in a manner I disagree with," or "I am calling you this so everyone that hears will know I have no idea how to be a good teammate and/or I do not understand the proper way this game is played." Strange that a perfectly good word that used to tell you someone was a beginner in a game now tells you far more about how little the person who uses it has made it in the journey we call real life.

I see it used to describe teams as a "bunch of noobs" that win a match 8-1. Care to guess which winning team member thinks the rest of the team are "noobs?" If you wonder why I bother even posting this, it is in the small hope that those who use it constantly will remember that the "old" game hands that you are often in matches with can tell you are either very ignorant about the game you are playing and/or completely unimpressed with you as a player, and, sad to say, as a human being at least to the extent you are showing yourself online.

#2 Slaytronic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

Me and my guys prefer token

#3 Haniwa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

A new and unexperienced player ist called newb. A player who still plays "unexperienced" after weeks is a noob

#4 MechWarrior849305

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

Well, the best way to find "noob" in the game is to look into the mirror :lol:

@OP - just don't mind to give even a little attention to those who call you a "noob"/"newb"/whatever in the game and just do your best, learn how to play and how to master your play.

#5 Oni Ralas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 762 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

I call them FNG's if truly new at something. Other choice words for those who just make bad calls - but usually don't just let them fly for the sake of making myself look all tough. The game has a good chunk of us 30+ players in it, so luckily the normal banter is much lower than some others.

#6 Corbon Zackery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

We have a new directive on that instead of noob sub the word Rookie.

Thanks

#7 Apoc1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

Personally, I think that a person using the word "noob" is saying more about themselves than the person it is aimed at.

#8 Syllogy

• 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

When I call someone a "Noob" it's because I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are new to the game and not a complete moron. But that's probably just me.

:lol:

#9 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

....must....not....troll....

#10 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

View PostHaniwa, on 14 February 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

A new and unexperienced player ist called newb. A player who still plays "unexperienced" after weeks is a noob

and then the really garbage players get downgraded to nub, or nubsauce

Edited by LordBraxton, 14 February 2013 - 07:58 AM.

#11 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

View PostApoc1138, on 14 February 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

Personally, I think that a person using the word "noob" is saying more about themselves than the person it is aimed at.

You win the internetz.

Really, the overuse of the word has gotten to the point of it losing meaning entirely. It is usually used as a generic insult that could mean any number of things, sort of like what has happened to both of the three-letter words used to describe homosexuals.

Edited by FupDup, 14 February 2013 - 08:00 AM.

#12 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

If a man calls you are horse, you punch him in the nose.

If a second man calls you are horse, you call him a jerk.

If a third guy calls you a horse.....well it's probably time to shop for a saddle.

So tell me, are you on step 1, 2 or 3?

Edited by 3rdworld, 14 February 2013 - 08:01 AM.

#13 Dr Warp Effect

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

I have seen only a very, very few use "newb," a term I am familiar with, it is almost always "noob" across the board. Apparently some on here think I am complaining because the term was applied to me, that is not a problem I have. I have certainly been on teams where someone has used the blanket term for the team I am on, even a winning team. I very seldom have the term personally directed at me, but when it happens I just discount anyone silly enough to use the term that way. I made this post because of the principle of the thing and to try to get those that throw the term around to understand that most good players, and all who have the proper sense of teamwork think such namecalling is VERY counterproductive. The only positive it brings to the game is that I particularly enjoy shooting players on the other team that use the term.

#14 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

Only noobs call noobs noobs, noobs.

:lol: :ph34r:

#15 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

View PostHaniwa, on 14 February 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

View PostLordBraxton, on 14 February 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

and then the really garbage players get downgraded to nub, or nubsauce

This and this.

People need to recognize the differences between the words... this hard for some of you "Hooked on Phonics" folks, but words can sound the same, but be spelled differently and have completely different meanings.

#16 Dr Warp Effect

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

While a few may use the variations described, almost all simply use "noob" across the board, and in almost all cases, improperly. For example, calling the rest of the team "noobs" because the player was killed even if they are the only casualty on their team during the match and he/she got killed due to their own misplay.

#17 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

View PostDr Warp Effect, on 14 February 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

While a few may use the variations described, almost all simply use "noob" across the board, and in almost all cases, improperly. For example, calling the rest of the team "noobs" because the player was killed even if they are the only casualty on their team during the match and he/she got killed due to their own misplay.

Yes, but these same people still use "there", "their" and "they're" wrong. Doesn't mean we should stop using the correct words, nor stop correcting others' mis-use.

#18 zverofaust

• 2,093 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

ITT: Socially disconnected grandpa rambles on about his "back in my day" gamer stories on the ATARI 2000.

#19 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Recycled from my old TF2 days.

What's important to remember is that we're all noobs. You're a noob. I'm a noob. That guy with the mastered, painted up Atlas with the Rich Uncle Urbie bobblehead and christmas lights is a noob, and the guy running into a wall in his trial Raven is a noob. The more convinced you are that you aren't a noob, the more noobish you are. The harder you work to not be a noob, the more noobish you act.

The only recourse is to zen. Don't stress about other player's opinions or namecalling. Don't condescend or act like you're superior, because you're just as crappy as they are, just in different ways.

Unless they have an unusual. Then they're better than you. Vise versa, if you have an unusual, you're better than everyone.

#20 Darklord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 235 posts
  • LocationChicago Battletech Center

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

That would be a Atari 2600 kids these days :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users