#1 Vhetra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 187 posts
  • LocationRadstadt

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

Hail fellow Rasalhagians,

Couple friends and I have taken to starting up a personal unit based around light RP involving us being Rasalhagian pilots. Mostly just for good fun. We wanted to make something that fit lore, but was still able to be personalized a bit to our own liking, so we came up with the "KungsArmé, 5th Drakøns"

The name is in the air right now, as we were unsure whether or not it would be acceptable to be a fifth unit, since there are only 4 according to lore, 3 of which were destroyed in one way or another(In the setting of the lore page's time, which is 3067. They should all four still be around in the time this game is set). We were also worried about someone already having made a 5th Drakøns unit.

tl;dr

1. Would the name be appropriate and lore friendly?
2. Is there a database with "Officially recognized" units/clans made by fans? I know these games go back a long way.
3. If unacceptable, is there a suggested alternative?

Edited by Vhetra, 24 February 2013 - 05:39 AM.

#2 Surtr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDropship Naglfar, Clan Front

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

I'll answer your questions numerically:

1. I don't see a problem with it. Nothing we as fans do is canon anyways, and we don't know if we'll be able to have player run canon units, so have at it. I run a made up house unit, so can you!
2. The closest thing would be the Allthing thread found here. Also you can check the MWO wiki but last time I checked it was much less comprehensive than the Allthing list. And honestly I wouldn't worry about old clans, if they aren't here now then too bad so sad for them. Another place to consider getting involved is the Kungsarme enjin site. Its pretty dead right now but I think once CW kicks off more it might be more utilized.
3. I don't see why this wouldn't work. I will say it can be a bit of work to start a unit, but once you get the framework up they pretty much run themselves as long as you keep it on the small side. Enjin is a great platform to use as well and gives you lots of useful tools that are relatively easy to use.

Also starting a clan with friends is one of the most fun things to do. You'll bond in new and interesting ways as you tackle the pressures of forging a fighting unit under fire, and you tend to avoid drama as well. If you want some pointers or anything else, shoot me a pm or get in touch at 1strdr.enjin.com. Good hunting!

pps: Read Historical: Brush Wars. It gives a TON of good info about the Ronin Wars, which was just long enough ago to be the time when a lot of our FRR units would have been forming. Pay special attention to which planets had heavy combat. Also utilize sarna.net. I can't emphasize that enough.

#3 AlexEss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:20 AM

While i do not think there will be any problems naming your unit the 5;th Drakøns. You might be unable to register that name ingame as the Drakøns is a canon unit and the devs have said they will block the use of canon unit names. So to be on the safe side if i were you i would do something like naming the unit the fifth Drakøns "the fighting dragons" or some such and then use the later name as the one registered ingame. That way you can RP being a Drakøns unit but still retain your name ingame and should you then at some point be able to join the "real" Drakøns (read up on community warfare to get the full picture. but in short it is believed that some known house and mercs units will be NPC factions you can join if you do not want to be a merc unit. The Drakøns would be such a unit if it is in the game at all)

Other then that i wish you the best of luck and feel free to ask if you still feel confused =)

Edited by AlexEss, 16 February 2013 - 05:20 AM.

#4 Vhetra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 187 posts
  • LocationRadstadt

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

We're currently setting up our lances, most of us roll a Dragon of some variant, with some lights and mediums scattered throughout. Once we settle on that, we'll consider officiating the actual name of the unit. I like the nickname use in-game, once they implement the actual system for it. We'll probably go with that. Right now it's just about 12 of us, friends, running in groups every so often, but we'll look into raising our numbers once, like I said, we get everything settled.

#5 AlexEss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:38 AM

Well as Sutr said be sure to check in to the allthing and if you want to you can stop by our forums and post in the Diplomatic Relations thread. We always like to get to know new people to drop with and against. =)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users