Open Letter To Paul Inouye

4 replies to this topic

#1 TehCable

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Paul,

Where is the ECM write up that you said you had already written a month ago? You said you wanted to confirm that two other features would be in the game first. Can you give us any hints as to what is planned? Can you give us any hints as to when you will break silence with anything meaningful? Forgive me if it has already been released somewhere that I didn't look. I have been looking for a Command Chair post on the topic.

Follow up question: Why do you think that you can't trust us with your vision for the game? We're invested, and we'd like to know what to expect in the future.

Follow up question #2: If a feature (ie ECM) is so broken that two other features that haven't even been confirmed yet are needed before you can even talk about it, then why can't it just be temporarily removed? I assume you don't plan to change ECM much, which you already know most of us will hate. Otherwise, I can't think of any explanation for the silence. If it were good news, we would have heard it by now. If I have assumed wrong, forgive me; I have absolutely nothing to go on. With the timescale that we saw for tweaks to LRMs back in the fall, it is hard to fathom why you released ECM in an overpowered state and then didn't make any changes for... has it been 2 or 3 months at this point?

Sincerely,

A fan in the dark.

#2 Fenix0742

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 265 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Yeah, Paul is really bad at communicating things. Same with every other change he's promised. It's like deadlines don't mean anything to him, even if they're deadlines he himself has set.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

I'm willing to bet the two 'other features' are the two anti ECM effects going into the game in the next patch
  • PPCs disable ECM briefly
  • Advanced Sensor Range increases the 'buffer zone'
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1812228

The PPC/ERPPC vs ECM
Hitting an ECM enabled Mech with a PPC/ERPPC will disable the ECM functionality for 5 seconds.
After 5 seconds, full ECM functionality returns.
If an ECM is disabled and the ECM enabled Mech is hit with a PPC/ERPPC again, the 5 second counter resets to 5. It will be possible for a very skilled PPC/ERPPC shooter to disable ECM on a Mech for as long as they can keep chain hitting the ECM Mech.
This will be going live on Feb 19th.
The modules "Sensor Range" and "Advanced Sensor Range"
Will now affect ECM by increasing the detectable/targetable range of an ECM equipped Mech.
"Sensor Range", the first tier, will allow players to detect/target an ECM equipped Mech 15% further away than normal (200m > 230m)
"Advance Sensor Range", the second tier, will allow players to detect/target an ECM equipped Mech 25% further away than normal (200m > 250m)

How this affects gameplay:
Normally an ECM equipped Mech can only be detected/targeted between 180m-200m. I.e. there was a 20m buffer where SSRMs/LRMs could lock and fire.
With Sensor Range, that buffer is now 180-230m. A total of 50m buffer.
With Advanced Sensor Range, that buffer becomes 180-250. A total of 70m buffer.
Players will have an additional 50m of space to target and fire guided munitions on ECM enabled Mechs.
This too will be going live on Feb 19th.

#4 Particle Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

You say "we" a lot, like you're speaking for all of us.

#5 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

From the thread you brought back to life:

View PostPaul Inouye, on 16 January 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

Hot topic: ECM... yes... I've got a write up on our stance on the situation but I will not release it until I can confirm 2 features I want in the game before I do so.

All I can say right now is please be patient. Contrary to what a vocal minority might think, we are not ignoring you.

Please read the bold part.

View PostFenix0742, on 14 February 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

Yeah, Paul is really bad at communicating things. Same with every other change he's promised. It's like deadlines don't mean anything to him, even if they're deadlines he himself has set.

Okay....

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users