19 replies to this topic

#1 Derick Cruisaire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 247 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

Let me preface this post by stating that I am by no means a forum veteran. Aside from MWO I have not really participated much in forums. So perhaps what I am about to raise discussion on is the norm.

When I registered on the MWO forums, most of the people posting in a thread were civil and mature with the content of their posts. Even when there were disagreements about a subject, the people on each side of the issue were cordial toward each other. However, recently (in the past 2 to 3 weeks) I have noticed that there seems to be more and more posts that are geared more toward (at the least) inciting hostility, if not outright flaming the other person/s involved. (And there does not seem to be an "I'm kidding" or an "It's all in good fun" kind of feel to them.) I have seen posts recently that are refering to people in a downright derogatory fashion, or seemingly designed to illicit a negative response in order to justify another negative response, and so on. These types of comments, to me, serve no constructive purpose.

Perhaps I am just interpretting things poorly. If so, great. Then I will try to look at these types of posts in a different light. If I am interpretting them correctly. Then I feel discourged with the direction the forums are moving, and find myself hoping this is just a passing phase that we as a community can reign in and bring to a swift end (though I do not know how this can be accomplished :) ).

Please let me know whether or not I am the only one seeing this trend.

#2 Fresh Meat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 779 posts
  • LocationMannequin Republic

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

Maybe we are all just so worked up about beta that we are a little on edge, I'm sure it will pass. :)

/facial tic

Edited by Fresh Meat, 27 May 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#3 CloakRogue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

To add to what Fresh meat said, the fact that beta has started has brought more people in. Therefore, resulting in different
personalities.

Edited by CloakRogue, 27 May 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#4 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

I agree the forums got a bit more agressive, but it's caused by a few factors we can hardly change.

1st: The closed beta started, devs are always picking more and more people, but every wants in, most won't.
With this come people asking about beta requirements (being in NA).
And also people who make fun of us, because they got in.

2nd: With beta also came many new people. After the while of relative veterancy and knowledge of most users, we now have to deal with all Mad Catters, Civil war tech maniacs, etc.
Also, many people asking stuff we already know and discussing it once again.

3rd: And lastly, human nature. The mre it seems it will be perfect, we start worrying it will be *just* good.
Then we start worrying it won't even be good, just average and.... till we start to really worry about the quality of the game.

We can't change it. I try to do my best to help people as much as possible to get back to the resting phase, but if someone can't handle it, only way to go is not comming to forums and only reading announcements for a while.

#5 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,373 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

Well, normality, forum reality catches up with MWO.
Since the Beta announcement concurrent forum users have doubled if not trippled and MWO is reaching out to the common mmo player - this brings in the common forum behavior.
As of now the MWO forums be still a peacefull paradise :)

Edited by Thorqemada, 27 May 2012 - 12:51 PM.

#6 McGruff

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 79 posts
  • LocationTerra, 52-23 N 13-24 E

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

In my opinion it has gotten a little bit rougher but that was to be expected as also some other posters explained. For myself it is still on the good side compared with a lot of other forums.

#7 Ramien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationToledo

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

I think part of it has been due to the fact that we've been getting more concrete information from the Devs and preview videos.

Some people are seeing things they like, others aren't, and where before they could just say 'we don't have info to say what the Devs are going to do,' now they can argue over what they saw in the vids and what it means. A good example would be the thread about armor values that split between TT purists and people with more flexible attitudes towards balance.

#8 Lt muffins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 378 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

The end is in sight and because we can now see the end many people's patience is finaly starting to give.

But I do belive once we start shooting our autocannons and PPC's they will calm down.

#9 Toothman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 557 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

Welcome to the forum wars. Just wait this is still just skirmishing.

#10 Hawkeye 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

View PostToothman, on 27 May 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

Agreed. Unfortunately you will see worse than what is currently going on. This is what happens when you expand from a hardcore fanbase that will debate and argue, yet respect each other, to a much wider user base that includes your every day video gamer and 13 year old. One of the laws of the internet.

I wouldn't mind seeing a veterans forum emerge for users. I know this would upset a lot of newer people, but once again, laws of the internet.

Just make sure to keep your cool about topics and don't help feed the angry forum users.

ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT FORUM FIRES! LOL :)

Edited by Hawkeye 72, 27 May 2012 - 01:50 PM.

#11 Insidious Johnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

Simple,schools have just dumped a fresh load of underachieving entitlement monkies into a jobless summer of recovery part 3. Also, the number of mods has stayed constant, requiring people to actually use the "report" feature on threads to direct mod traffic where it is needed. Fear not laying the smack down where it is needed, as long as you POLITELY snap into that Slim-Jim with a smile and have the objectivity to admit when you are wrong.

#12 Magnificent Bastard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

Welcome to the internet. Please enjoy your stay.

#13 Derick Cruisaire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 247 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

View PostAdridos, on 27 May 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

I agree the forums got a bit more agressive, but it's caused by a few factors we can hardly change.

1st: The closed beta started, devs are always picking more and more people, but every wants in, most won't.
With this come people asking about beta requirements (being in NA).
And also people who make fun of us, because they got in.

2nd: With beta also came many new people. After the while of relative veterancy and knowledge of most users, we now have to deal with all Mad Catters, Civil war tech maniacs, etc.
Also, many people asking stuff we already know and discussing it once again.

3rd: And lastly, human nature. The mre it seems it will be perfect, we start worrying it will be *just* good.
Then we start worrying it won't even be good, just average and.... till we start to really worry about the quality of the game.

We can't change it. I try to do my best to help people as much as possible to get back to the resting phase, but if someone can't handle it, only way to go is not comming to forums and only reading announcements for a while.

I don't know. This seems to have begun prior to the Beta announcements.

I agree that you try to help out. I started a topic (my first by the way) awhile back, and posted it in the wrong area. You pointed it out to me, and you were polite and helpful about it. B)

View PostMcGruff, on 27 May 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

In my opinion it has gotten a little bit rougher but that was to be expected as also some other posters explained. For myself it is still on the good side compared with a lot of other forums.

All the more reason I don't get involved in many forums. :D

View PostRamien, on 27 May 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

I think part of it has been due to the fact that we've been getting more concrete information from the Devs and preview videos.

Some people are seeing things they like, others aren't, and where before they could just say 'we don't have info to say what the Devs are going to do,' now they can argue over what they saw in the vids and what it means. A good example would be the thread about armor values that split between TT purists and people with more flexible attitudes towards balance.

I would think it would be just the opposite. Once the Dev's have spoken (so-to-speak) it should remove the ambiguity from the subject. Agree or disagree with their decision? Fine. But why start flaming each other about it?

View PostLt muffins, on 27 May 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

The end is in sight and because we can now see the end many people's patience is finaly starting to give.

But I do belive once we start shooting our autocannons and PPC's they will calm down.

Here's hoping that you are right. :D

View PostToothman, on 27 May 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

And the dash comes down on hope. <_<

View PostHawkeye 72, on 27 May 2012 - 01:49 PM, said:

Agreed. Unfortunately you will see worse than what is currently going on. This is what happens when you expand from a hardcore fanbase that will debate and argue, yet respect each other, to a much wider user base that includes your every day video gamer and 13 year old. One of the laws of the internet.

I wouldn't mind seeing a veterans forum emerge for users. I know this would upset a lot of newer people, but once again, laws of the internet.

Just make sure to keep your cool about topics and don't help feed the angry forum users.

ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT FORUM FIRES! LOL :lol:

If it is necessary to segregate the community to keep things civil that would be unfortunate indeed.

I do not post all that frequently as it is. If the topic appeals to me, and I have something worthwhile to put into it I post. But lately I have not bothered. Even when I find it an interesting topic. The ensuing arguments leave me with such a bad taste I don't even want to get involved. Which, apparently, is the best way to stay out of the fire.

I guess I will likely just be a bit more reserved about posting for a while, and hope that things mellow out abit.

#14 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

View PostDerick Cruisaire, on 27 May 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I don't know. This seems to have begun prior to the Beta announcements.

The last time more hostility emerged was when the gameplay vids on IGN, but it was almost sorted out when the beta announcement hit.

We'll see calmer forums, don't worry. ;)

#15 Emerest

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:54 AM

View PostAdridos, on 28 May 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

The last time more hostility emerged was when the gameplay vids on IGN, but it was almost sorted out when the beta announcement hit.

We'll see calmer forums, don't worry. ;)

That's probably exactly what it was-- 85% of IGN fanboys are a nightmare. Their comment threads are almost as bad as YouTube's. Until the IGN announcements really started coming out, it was only the true (and hence older) Mechwarrior/Battletech fans that were around. IGN hath polluted the peace!

Mechwarrior is for gamers with refined taste-- those that come and discover they have none will instead spend their time making sparks in the kindling of ignorance.

Edited by Emerest, 28 May 2012 - 04:56 AM.

#16 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:01 AM

View PostEmerest, on 28 May 2012 - 04:54 AM, said:

That's probably exactly what it was-- 85% of IGN fanboys are a nightmare. Their comment threads are almost as bad as YouTube's. Until the IGN announcements really started coming out, it was only the true (and hence older) Mechwarrior/Battletech fans that were around. IGN hath polluted the peace!

Mechwarrior is for gamers with refined taste-- those that come and discover they have none will instead spend their time making sparks in the kindling of ignorance.

We must be open to new fellow mechwarriors. There will be a bunch of noobs, but they'll quit in a smal time. But we can find some people that like our game and stick with it. We can't simply throw all people into one bag.

It goes both ways:
You can't say that everyone posting on IGN must be a jerk, because it would be the same as saying that everyone on our forums is polite.

Also, the fact IGN got to post a video about the game brought here many Mechwarrior fans that didn't get involved with the community before and forgot about the franchise after a while. ;)

#17 Emerest

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:07 AM

View PostAdridos, on 28 May 2012 - 05:01 AM, said:

We must be open to new fellow mechwarriors. There will be a bunch of noobs, but they'll quit in a smal time. But we can find some people that like our game and stick with it. We can't simply throw all people into one bag.

It goes both ways:
You can't say that everyone posting on IGN must be a jerk, because it would be the same as saying that everyone on our forums is polite.

Also, the fact IGN got to post a video about the game brought here many Mechwarrior fans that didn't get involved with the community before and forgot about the franchise after a while. ;)

Touche.

Yes...open, we need some fresh meat from the COD fans. "HOLY CRAP WHY IS THIS WALKING SO SLOWWWWWW IMMA GO PLAY HAWKEN."

#18 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:28 AM

A correllary: A friend of a friend refuses to watch the first digitally remastered Star Wars: Episode IV because "it isn't the movie I grew up with".

You will find a lot of that here as well as ill-informed flames wars - People only reading out of canon what they want or comparing the various MW games because it supports their POV (like the urinary olympics regarding Zellbrigen), to the exclusion of rational, contradictory or useful information or details which could negate or ameliorate their position. People will just sometimes have a cut-off point because that is were they are happy.

People that come into this game will be of two parties, those that get it and those who do not. Those who do not will be angry and seek to flame, troll, be contrary - whatever. As previous posters have suggested - do not feed them. The MMO and Twitch players will come and go, leaving MW goodness for the rest of us.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 28 May 2012 - 07:09 AM.

#19 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:08 AM

View PostEmerest, on 28 May 2012 - 05:07 AM, said:

Yes...open, we need some fresh meat from the COD fans. "HOLY CRAP WHY IS THIS WALKING SO SLOWWWWWW IMMA GO PLAY HAWKEN."

What's the problem, you kill him and set ignore on him... ^_^

Generally no such people should want to play this game, anyway, as there's no killing spree and you can't go rambo. ;)

#20 Aelos03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

everything is normal its expected for people to negative around here its in humans neture, game is on there is no one to tell us how it looks
so only thing left to do is be negative ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users