Fiction

2 replies to this topic

#1 AncillaLupus

• PipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:23 AM

Just wanted to start a mech fiction myself. No special purpose other than just getting back to "the flow" of writing mw based rpg stuff. Been quite a while...

Date: unknown
Stelar position: Some system in deep periphery

"She´s a dragon..." growled the tech and slammed his fist in frustration against the cockpit glass of the black knight while standing on the hoisting platform.

"At least a quite pretty one" replied the second one jokingly, picked up a towel and started cleaning the area on the cockpit glass his companion just hit.

"Na...Seriously! Why do we maintain that piece of junk after every second system jump, please? Can you even imagine when she used it in the past?!" said the first one, taking a very deep breath and started eyeing the old mech chassi up and down.

"Not since i can imagine to be honest" was the answer to him, a slight shrug of the shoulders included.

A fierce yell came up from the bottom of the hangar to the two guys standing on the platform "It´s a heirloom thing guys... just do what you get paid for!". The master sergeant crossed his arms in front of his body and inspected the repair work from downstairs. "Weapon checks already finished?!"

"Yes Sir!" yelled the technician back from upstairs and mubled to his companion "as every freakin´ time before as our beloved...."

"OFFICER ON DECK!" echoed the masters sergeant voice through the hangar and both techs and he himself sprang to attention and saluted, as the young red haired woman appeared.

"At ease everyone..." she raised her voice in a somewhat warm and friendly manner, walking up toward the old black knight chassi. A slight smile on her face, as her left hand touched the cold metal of the mechs leg and finally reached out for the ladder of the hoisting platform.

"Calm down now and look somewhat more ... friendly ... otherwise you´ll most likely will get burned to ash, if she finds out what you think about that "piece of scrapmetal"" snickered the second technician. "She´s coming up for a personal inspection as it seems".

"Or she´s just doing her daily workout... could have taken the lift instead of climbing..." the first one whispered and looked down towards the ladder, the young lady used to get up to them. "At least she does not need to take the lift...as you do Jeff... you got lazy somehow" the second one joked. "Erch... shut up Steve!" Jeff hissed back.

"You guys are having fun up here, mh?" said the woman shortly after she finally reached the platform in front of the mechs cockpit both techs where standing on.

Quite tall for a mech pilot her roughly 6',5'' well trained shape now fully built up in front of Steve and Jeff. Her sharp green eyes focused on them, as she brushed a strand of her fire red hair out of her face.

<to be continued>

Edited by AncillaLupus, 26 August 2014 - 06:51 AM.

#2 AncillaLupus

• PipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:40 AM

"Actually we were just...." started Jeff to explain what was going on up here, as he was interrupted by the woman. "Making fun of a mech nearly as old as both of you together, i know" she said with an impression on her face which was hard to judge. A slight gesture with her left hand followed "That´s nothing you have to understand. Don´t waste time trying to" she continued.

"Sorry ma´am" said Steve and look down on the platform all three were standing on currently. "Inspection is over. No system failures. All components are operational" he continued and the woman nodded slightly. "Shouldn´t we fix the crack in the arm shield? It looks like.... well..."

"Like the battle scar it is actually" she replied and smiled slightly. "This mech has a certain history which i do not want to forget, you know? Just make sure it is operational.... if ever needed".

Both techs nodded after her words and started picking up their tools to clean up and get downstairs again.

"Anything on the scanners yet, ma´am?" asked Steve after he let out a gentle cough first to catch her attention, as she just seemed to stare at the mech cockpit. "Four planets in this system of which at least one seems to have potential..." she replied without even turning around to the tech at all. "And before you ask... yes we will ... as soon as i got more Intel... but this time it seems as we would.... yes"

Steve and Jeff looked at each other in excitement and Jeff started rubbing his hands together "FINALLY!" he yelled and started to dance back and forth on the platform. Steve just shuck his head as he saw his reaction. "Easy fella...." the woman said "i did not order you to prepare everything for a drop... not yet... i know it´s been a long time but we have to be careful and make sure we do not run into a trap or are caught of guard... ".

"Anyways... make sure the Phoenix- and Shadow Hawk are ready as well as the Sentinel and Falcon. If Intel is fine, i do assume we´ll be dropping later this evening" she finished and finally turned around to face both guys, who nodded again and saluted. "As you command, ma´am" both said nearly simultaneously. Afterwards she climbed downstairs and went to leave the mechbay, as the master sergeant tried to catch her attention.

"Rebecca? Crew´s getting nervous... we´ve been out for month now" he started and a long deep sigh was her answer at first. "I know Michael... i know... Let´s cross our fingers that this planned is suitable..." she mumbled and finally left the hangar

<<to be continued>>

edit: typos fixed.

Edited by AncillaLupus, 26 August 2014 - 06:50 AM.

#3 AncillaLupus

• PipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:11 AM

A little later on the same day on the command ships bridge...

"They are mostly harmless" said Gregor the chief intelligence officer. "The easier it will be for us" replied Rebecca with a cold expression on her face. "But we are..." started Gregor, but was interrupted by her. "We are WHAT?! Skirmishers, Raiders, restless space travelers .... whatever we HAVE been. We are NOT anymore. You seem to underestimate our current situation, Gregor" she slammed her left fist on the table in anger.

"We..." he once more tried to speak, but was again interrupted directly. "Have several hundred people on board who need food, water, drugs, and general goods. We need technical material to maintain our ships, mechs, and aerospace crafts. God damn it.. i KNOW!" she yelled at Gregor and swiped a drinking glass from the table in front of her, which shattered in several pieces. Silence filled the room for some seconds, which finally was broken by a long sigh afterwards.

"See..." Rebecca started and turned towards the ships crew member present on the bridge. "I am as unhappy with our situation as all of you are, but we do not have any other options currently. I know that piracy is nothing we or our ancestors can be proud of nor is it something we all want to tell our children someday, once we do have found a new home... Anyhow... please remember what the alternative solution would have been" she paused and looked at every single crew member. "I doubt that anybody would prefer that over our current situation".

A full-throated "Negative Ma´am" was the response.

"Fine. Get my star ready than and put the salvage team on standby. I want to be in, say hello, salvage and be out in under an hour. Let us hope they will not be stupid enough to stand in our way, so we can minimize unnecessary casualties." Rebecca finished her little speech and turned around towards the elevator. "Mech Lineup as stated in the hangar earlier today. Ask the master sergeant for further details. As pilots i want: David, Ivy, Alex and Chris. Hot drop in 30 minutes" fallen back to a harsh commanding tone she stepped into the elevator and hit the button for the locker rooms.

Starring at the elevators door as it closed she started to think of a proper mission plan. Strike hard and fast, minimize risk, minimize casualties, get out as much as possible. She didn´t liked what she had to do. Not even a single moment but either that way or no way at all. “Sometimes you have to take actions, that are hard, dirty or unwelcome.. but sometimes they are just necessary for a higher goal” her mother once said. "If you ever knew how right you have been..." Rebecca mumbled to herself as she left the elevator.

<<to be continued>>

Edited by AncillaLupus, 27 August 2014 - 06:11 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users